How Old Is Too Old To Race (1 Viewer)

I stopped by The Greek's pit at Gainesville and he looked healthy enough to me. He was changing a tire on the car and one of his crew guys told him to just go in the trailor and take a nap. I don't think he listened to him, he just kept on doing what he was doing!!!!!! I think the man is pretty amazing!:) I wonder if Force will still be driving at 80?:eek:

I am told that with age comes experience, and learning to realize your priorities and make decisions about what's important to you. I just think we need to let people make that decision for themselves, and just be thankful they're still in and around the sport. There's a thousand examples - remember George Hoover? He was tuning Tom's funny car at over 80 yrs old. Just because someone doesn't "drive" doesn't mean they can't bring money, sponsors and fans to the sport and share thier wealth of knowledge and insight.

Well I will be 67 next month and still have a valid NHRA license. I want to race as long as my health permits. When you get to be this age, you know if you are over your head or not. With age comes the knowledge when not to do something. I would step out of the cage if I thought I was a danger to myself or anyone else. Especialy the guy in the other lane. I also know guys that are 10 years younger than myself, and are not in shape to drive. I look forward to the physical every two years as a guide line and personel internal eval. I race with several older guys, and I trust all of them.

Many valid points being made on this thread, but the bottom line is as a whole, our older society is in much better health and definitely live much longer than a few years ago. It is hard to judge one individual---everyone is different, and I think as Randy brought out, NHRA with their licensing procedures would weed out somebody truly a danger to others. When social security was started, not many men lived past 65--that is totally different now, mostly due to medical advances. Lots of stuff now they can fix if you see the doctor and catch it early. Personally, I think it is great seeing guys over 60 out there running at the highest level (especially now that I am nearing that mark myself).

Well I will be 67 next month and still have a valid NHRA license. I want to race as long as my health permits. When you get to be this age, you know if you are over your head or not. With age comes the knowledge when not to do something. I would step out of the cage if I thought I was a danger to myself or anyone else. Especialy the guy in the other lane. I also know guys that are 10 years younger than myself, and are not in shape to drive. I look forward to the physical every two years as a guide line and personel internal eval. I race with several older guys, and I trust all of them.

That's a great post Earl, especially in this sport Seat time is Key! I'm sure there are times now when you'll lift out wheras a 30 year old might try to drive through a squirrely Run and end up crashing!

I want to thank all the Maters who have responded to this thread so far. Excellent valid points that support my thoughts as well, I'm in my mid fifties and when I get back on my feet and renew my license, I'll polish up the Corvette and go out play with all the guys and gals and have a blast doing it.:)

Well I will say it's encouraging to me to see guys like Force at 60 and the Greek at 80 out there driving fuel cars, because I still have visions of racing someday, and seeing these guys reminds me it's never too late. I was reading an article about Roger Burgess in ND and I didn't realize he just started driving a couple years ago in his mid 50s, in Pro Mod no less! So as everyone here agrees, the key is to stay fit and sharp.

I want to be there when the guy tells the Greek that he can't race any more because he is to old. End results are 70+ year old man kicks the living $hit out of someone alot younger than him, Film at 11.

With as many laps down tracks that the Greek has, I'm not concerned about his competency. I'll bet Big, Snake and Connie K. would have no problem either. No substitute for experience no matter what your age is.

Good question.

I want to be there when the guy tells the Greek that he can't race any more because he is to old. End results are 70+ year old man kicks the living $hit out of someone alot younger than him, Film at 11.
He's out of the 70's, remember!!!!! That would be 80+ year old. That is just friggin' amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back