Hotels/crewmembers/drivers (1 Viewer)

Hey Dave long time !!! In our poor days it was tight,but Gary, Nick and the rest of us didn`t complain to much because we were kicking some serious butt and Coors was great to us....

Yes I remember the glory days. The Extra Gold car was a BA hot rod. I also remember that some of the hotel stories could not be told here. Rental cars could be a fun topic too.

I've seen things done to rental cars that should destroy an engine and transmission, but doesn't. Famous saying of an unamed driver - "That's how they test em' at the proving grounds, ya know?".

I guess it would be wise if anyone purchases a former fleet car to check and see if any drag racers rented it before.

During the time when I was working for John Lingenfelter he hurt the engine in his Pro Stock Truck and I was asked to run the fresh engine to Atlanta. I stayed in the rig since a room could not be found. There were a lot of racers that had stayed at the track. It was cool to wake up in the morning to support vehicles and race cars getting warmed up.

I recently was at the race in St. Louis and when I was moving around the hotel that night and the next morning. I saw members of teams like Larry Morgan, the Summit Pro Stock teams of Greg Anderson, and Jason Line. I think that both Hot Rod Fuller and Whit Bazemore were at the same hotel. I saw the drivers as well as the crew members. The hotel was a quality hotel but not a Hilton or Marriot.

I think that most racers have a budget and stick to it as much as they can but after a day of racing a good nights sleep is great. Most teams would want to stay close together and where they are comfortable be it the track or a hotel.

you know race drivers are an interesting breed. They can go 330 miles an hour down the track but there are some of them that have trouble getting from point A to Point B, not sure when they are going, whos going, how they are getting there or when they are leaving. I have had rooming lists change 3 times on there way from the airport. I had one group that was supposed to show up on thursday and came on monday. There is also one crew chief out there that misses every other flight. I was always able to circumvent no show fees at my hotel but a lot of the hotels are not as forgiving if you are scheduled to come on tuesday and dont come until wednesday you still pay for Tuesday that could get very expensive over the course of 23 Races.
They are also very picky about what they want in a hotel. From my experience they like a hotel to have A Bar of course, a restaurant, Breakfast included in the rate and no outside corridors. And of course the lowest possible rate. If you have laundry facilities that gives you a big bonus, because when they are on the road the last thing they want to do is find a laurndry Mat. I worked in a Courtyard by Marriott, they all have laundry
facilities and you can get the detergent, bleach and softner from the front desk no charge. I rambling arent I. Guess I will shut up now:D

As a fan, back in the early 90's I used to get a room for the whole weekend in Dallas every year for the Chief Nationals. At the time it was the closest place to the track. It was really wild there once people left the track for the day. All the big names stayed there. We used to book a year in advance. Going to the lobby, in the parking lot or by the pool and restaraunt was like walking in the pits. Frey, Mac, Evans & the TV crew stayed there too.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back