Fastest MPH for a Rat Motor (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
At the just held Holley Hot Rod Reunion at Bowling Green, Tyler Hilton in the Great Expectations AA/FD, Chevy Rat motor, ran 5.952 - 250.92. They said it was the fastest speed ever for a Rat motor on nitro. Does anyone know if someone has run a faster speed? I remember Lidtke & Zeller T/F car at Irwindale, around 1973, ran a 5.87 at over 240 with a rat motor. Just curious. Also wondering if maybe a T/AD with a Rat has gone over 250. (Or TA/FC)

I am pretty sure the Champion Speed Shop (Adam Sorokin) nostalgia Top Fueler is a rat motor, and they have been in the 5.60s. seems like they should be in the 250 club too.

I am pretty sure the Champion Speed Shop (Adam Sorokin) nostalgia Top Fueler is a rat motor, and they have been in the 5.60s. seems like they should be in the 250 club too.

I believe they are, but it's hard to say because that thing always has it's tongue out before the finish line. I'm not sure if Jimmy Young ever went over 250 when he was running a small block a few years back.

Mike Kosky may chime in. He was the last of the loyal with a competitive TAD I believe

How about the Valley Fever TF car driven by Rance McDaniel? It ran around the same time as the Lidke & Zeller car, and seamed to be the most successful rat motored car. You also have Jim Bucher to look at.

What years did the Horner Bros race? I saw a photo of them from 1987, so am guessing they went into the 1990's??? Lots of great replys to this thread.

Can someone please explain to me what exactly qualifies as a "Rat" motor in relation to this thread? Sorry, I just don't have a clue.

Can someone please explain to me what exactly qualifies as a "Rat" motor in relation to this thread? Sorry, I just don't have a clue.

Big Block Chevy although some of the cars mentioned in this thread ran small block Chevys.

Good call Mike, Horner's career best is 255.39

Alan

Your call on Santos was a good one, too. He's run as quick as 5.67 with the SBC, but speeds were in the mid 230s. I've watched him race many a time...always enjoyed that screaming small block and watching him put those big ol' Hemis on the trailer. :)

Big Block Chevy although some of the cars mentioned in this thread ran small block Chevys.

I didn't know that Mike, I thought all Chevy motors were referred to as "rat motors". Good to know.

I knew the Champion Speed Shop car is a small block, because every announcer is contractually obligated to mention it at least 3 times every time that car comes to the line LOL.

I didn't know that Mike, I thought all Chevy motors were referred to as "rat motors". Good to know.

I knew the Champion Speed Shop car is a small block, because every announcer is contractually obligated to mention it at least 3 times every time that car comes to the line LOL.

When the small blocks came out they were called "Mouse motors" and then big blocks came out and they were referred to as "rat motors". At least that is the story I got from my "elders lol. I think nowadays calling any Chevy a "rat motor" is not uncommon.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back