harley weight (1 Viewer)

rollingthunder

Nitro Member
it does look like the weight is slowing them down to much.
next question is if it is so unsafe according to eddie's comment on the broadcast. Why are they getting in the bikes period. i know if i think any bike is unsafe i am not getting on it.

Looks like Eddie let the cat out of the cat while trying to win his home track race. Perhaps the first time this year the Harley has been run all out.(though I have a nagging suspicion there is a helluva lot more there...like 6.70's at 202). Now with the four valve head, raising the RPM level (and power) now looms for the Harley painted Hines engined bikes.

If safety is really the issue, perhaps a simple decreasing of the bore size to yield 2.2 liters and resetting the weight back to a "safe" 580 pounds would make more sense.

Mark

Last edited:
You can't legislate competition. When will these suits understand. Let creativity and ingeniuity be the guiding light that forces everyone else to get better.

I say take away 60 cubic inches from the Hardley's and then let them run the same weight as the Suzook's. :D

Last edited:
Looks like Eddie let the cat out of the cat while trying to win his home track race. Perhaps the first time this year the Harley has been run all out.(though I have a nagging suspicion there is a helluva lot more there...like 6.70's at 202). Now with the four valve head, raising the RPM level (and power) now looms for the Harley painted Hines engined bikes.

If safety is really the issue, perhaps a simple decreasing of the bore size to yield 2.2 liters and resetting the weight back to a "safe" 580 pounds would make more sense.

Mark
Spot on reply Mark! The Harley's and NHRA have become somewhat of a joke.................and why has Krawiec gone so far out of his way to try and defend their actions in every interview lately?:rolleyes:

Time to add even more weight, they had a 10th on the entire field yesterday!

Mike Dunn commented yesterday in the broadcast that the Harley's were "Pulling more weight".... twice...

I never heard him mention that the 101 cubic inch Suzukis were pulling virtually half again as much weight per cubic inch as the Harleys.

Per the 2009 rule book:
Suzuki 2 or 4-valve 101 cubic inches: 605 pounds, or 5.99 pounds per c.i.

The 160 cid V-Twin 4-valve motor: 620 pounds (640? with the added weight?)
That's 4 pounds per cubic inch...

5.99 divided by 4 = 1.4975... so, unless my math is "off," it would appear that the 4-valve Suzuki is pulling virtually half-again a much weight per cubic inch as the V-twins with 4 valves...

Mike Dunn never mentions that fact, does he?

I haven't heard it, if he does, but then, I don't watch much TV.

Wonder why, when he tells us about the "extra weight" the V-Twins are pulling, he never mentions that, if the V-Twin had to pull the same weight per cubic inch that the Suzuki did, it would weigh, let's see... 5.99 times 160... 958 pounds!

I think that information is more significant than the 20, or so, pounds they're gagging over...

C'mon, Mike; tell the WHOLE story...

Last edited:
Spot on reply Mark! The Harley's and NHRA have become somewhat of a joke.................and why has Krawiec gone so far out of his way to try and defend their actions in every interview lately?:rolleyes:

Time to add even more weight, they had a 10th on the entire field yesterday!

Or time to add rev limiters! :D

Just kiding

Hector made a perfect pass on q4..... He said there was no way he could not have gone any faster... We could have went 6.99 maybe... The suzuki's just keep fallen behind... When the weather gets hot the v-twins have a big advantage... I don't think you can believe anything those guys are saying (HD).... They said 20 lbs slowed them down 8 hundredths... come on if that was the case then e-town the harleys should have gone 6.82 not the 6.90 in the finals... Then on sunday at norwalk second round the 6.99 should have been a 6.91... The next step for NHRA is to take cubic inches away.... The harleys need to be cut to 120 cubic inches, then maybe take some weight off later.... Everybody in the class is now running for 3rd place....

The V Twins will have an even bigger advantage up on the mountain. Let's see how they spin on that story!

Back in the mid 1990's, What were the brands of bikes being run then? Compared to what is being run today?

Don't you think Eddie K. and A. Hines are going to be "VERY CAREFUL" from here on, until the Infamous Countdown is in place? I'm sure they don't want MORE weight added now !

Back in the mid 1990's, What were the brands of bikes being run then? Compared to what is being run today?
Most were Suzuki's, but Byron Hines ran a Yamaha (2 or 3 years?) and won a championship with it. I think there were a couple Kawi's running too.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back