Ace shoots one off on T Ped! (1 Viewer)

For those of you that are bowing at Ace McCulloch's feet, are also agreeing that the racing stay at 1000feet...you can't have it both ways folks.

Not in my case at all. I'm a monster fan of the Ace, but I don't have any use for this 1,000-foot stuff. My responses were strictly in regards to Ace's willingness to speak his mind unconditionally.

Does anybody think we would be at 1000' had Scott's accident not happened? None of these racers had a problem with it beforehand...

Absolutely not, no way, no how.

Sean D

“I had as big and as violent of explosions back then as they do today with a 20 gallon fuel pump,” McCulloch said. “They talk about reducing the fuel pump, and I disagree with that 100 percent. It’s nitromethane, that’s what it does

The Ace had a bad one, first round of the 86 Winters. It let go just before the lights and exploded the body off the car very similar to Jim Heads. Only the very front nose was still attatched.

The ACE is right on the money I think.

I think he's right on the money with SOME of his comments.

Since Ace asked, "Do the people want to see the cars go 300 mph at a quarter-mile or would they rather see 318 or 320 mph dragsters at 1,000 foot..."; I'll take 300 to the 1320 please, and a side of fries.

Should be a fun discussion at the divisional this weekend! See you there!

Does anybody think we would be at 1000' had Scott's accident not happened? None of these racers had a problem with it beforehand...

exactly, they Say something when Scott Dies, why couldn't they say anything when Blaine Johnson had his crash in 1996 @ Indy?

to reiterate what i said just in case it got lost in the shuffle;

I agree with ed about the cars, it is what it is, you run on 100% nitromethane anything can happen. That's why I believe that when Scott Died, the car was not "happy" at all, it either struck the tires or had something happen whether it be a small "flash" like it had on the Friday Night Session or the explosion that resulted in the crash that took his life. although I obviously want to see 1320 ft racing especially at a track like E-Town that created a special spot with the old RP Tower from the 80s at the 1320 mark for fans to watch the racing. I don't think they should try to make changes to slow them down just to go to 1320 racing, that's like NASCAR putting Restrictor Plates on in Talladega and Daytona, now they basically can never run 200 again.

I personally think the redoing of the sand pits was good enough, last year when Marty Nothstein and Alexis DeJouria took it into the beach, their cars were totaled (Granted Nitromethane is a different animal altogether compared to Methanol) but both survived. But if a 260+ Methanol Funny Car can take a hit and the driver survives, it is quite possible that forbid if we ever have a situation like with scott (even if he isn't knocked unconsious from the explosion) that the driver could survive.

Just My 2 cents

I'm with you man. As you can see from my avatar, I have been around this sport a long time. I am 46 years old. I went to the last 1/4 mile race NHRA put on at Norwalk, and then a couple of weeks later I went to the Night Of Fire event that was 1,000'. I haven't been back since. I hardly pay attention on tv. The only thing that was holding my interest this year, was the pick 'em game that used to be sponsored by CSK. I forgot to make my picks last week, so now I'm even done with that. I will pay less attention than I did last year. Next year, if it is the same, I will pay less attention than I did this year. Personally, I think they are losing fans faster than they are gaining them. Not only are they losing fans, they are losing longtime supporters like Barry and I. I have gone from 4 or 5 races a year, and dropping big bucks at events, to not going at all. Something needs to change. I don't have those answers, but somebody needs to figure them out. I don't have much faith that it will be figured out. Maybe the newer, younger fans will carry the torch. I'm not convinced their attention spans are long enough. Then again, how long does your attention span have to be at 1,000'! :rolleyes:

So, apparently, we are not alone. Been around the sport a while myself. 49 years old, first drag race attended was at National Speedway in NY back in 1971. I too used to attend multiple events.

The only difference for me as a fan between 1000ft and 1/4 mile apart from the finish line difference is I don't pay attention to the ET's anymore because I have nothing to referance them to I don't know a good 1000 ET compared to a good 1/4 mile ET but I still pay attention to who wins. When they first wen't to 1000ft I had to keep asking myself everytime they ran a number "Was that good?" but hey there is nothing I can do about it and I love drag racing so can't give up on it. Its really the only sport I know.

Last edited:
William, If they run say a low 3.90 that's around a high .50 A mid to low 3.80 is a low .50 high .40 When they run a 3.70 something that is a solid 4.40. You get the idea.

I didn't like a 1000ft when I saw my first few laps last year in Houston and I hated the decision when it came into play. Anyway by the end of the weekend I didn't mind it. I'm lucky in a sense that TF here in Australia still run to the 1320, but to be perfectly honest, I'm actually looking forward to getting to Etown in a few weeks and watching 1000ft racing again. I sure as hell would take 1000ft over any of the new changes NHRA are working on.

As for the ACE, he's a legend you can't front on that.

Regards,

Mike

The only difference for me as a fan between 1000ft and 1/4 mile apart from the finish line difference is I don't pay attention to the ET's anymore because I have nothing to referance them to I don't know a good 1000 ET compared to a good 1/4 mile ET but I still pay attention to who wins. When they first wen't to 1000ft I hate to keep asking myself everytime they ran a number "Was that good?" but hey there is nothing I can do about it and I love drag racing so can't give up on it. Its really the only sport I know.

A 4.05 is about a 4.7, 3.9 is 4.6, 3.8 is a 4.5, 3.7 is 4.4ish... good ball park to work off of.

d'kid

Babysat all weekend... oh, the life of a grandfather....

d'kid

Spending time with your grandkids/family is one thing that's not bad about missing out on some racing. I don't know what it is about that Richmond track, but it is killer. Hey we can sort of get back on topic here - Cutting the Richmond race out, another stupid, stupid move by the NHRA.

My favorite place to watch a pass is about 750-800 feet out, followed by about 150 down track. Don't really like sitting in the stands...

d'kid

Spending time with your grandkids/family is one thing that's not bad about missing out on some racing. I don't know what it is about that Richmond track, but it is killer. Hey we can sort of get back on topic here - Cutting the Richmond race out, another stupid, stupid move by the NHRA.

I live 90 miles from the track, in one of the world's largest NAVY towns... until the week of the race there was NOTHING on Radio or TV... VMP, great Air, good bite, total Lack of PR.

d'kid

William, If they run say a low 3.90 that's around a high .50 A mid to low 3.80 is a low .50 high .40 When they run a 3.70 something that is a solid 4.40. You get the idea.

I didn't like a 1000ft when I saw my first few laps last year in Houston and I hated the decision when it came into play. Anyway by the end of the weekend I didn't mind it. I'm lucky in a sense that TF here in Australia still run to the 1320, but to be perfectly honest, I'm actually looking forward to getting to Etown in a few weeks and watching 1000ft racing again. I sure as hell would take 1000ft over any of the new changes NHRA are working on.

As for the ACE, he's a legend you can't front on that.

Regards,

Mike

Yea....I know what ya mean.
Amazing how a few Bud Light's can fix that when your a spectator.

Like many here I have my issues with 1000'. And I loath the countdown. But i love going to the drag races. I look forward to being at the track and I start getting excited weeks before. And when the first pair start up Im standing at the wall and I love it. Is the NHRA perfect ??? NO, but it's still the best nitro high around:cool:

Ace's words remind me of that great quote from the Clin Eastwood film Magnum Force where he talks about the law system

"I hate the goddamn system, but until someone comes along with some changes that make sense I'll stick with it."

I think thats how alot of these guys running these cars feel.

E-Town is SHORT!!!!

Period.

Would an extra 320' Helped????????

Maybe.

We will never know, except the car blew up at 900', I know, I was there.

He probably would not have survived, nevertheless, but that extra distance could do nothing but help.

I saw what I saw, and 20-30 mph less could have made the difference.

JMO

REX

The year after Scott's accident, Alexis DeJoria hit the safety net as fast as Scott did. Due to the improvements she was not injured (car destroyed) I think if the sand pit area was as it is, Scott would have survived.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back