Capps, McCulloch bring "Revolution" history to Indy (1 Viewer)

Kelly

Nitro Member
Capps, McCulloch Bring "Revolution" History To Indy

Top U.S. Nationals Funny Car Driver Hopes
To Give Capps 1st Indy Win

BROWNSBURG, Ind. (August 25, 2006) - NHRA legend Ed "the Ace" McCulloch remembers his first trip to O'Reilly Raceway Park 35 years ago. He traveled from Portland, Ore., to Indianapolis with his Whipple & McCulloch Funny Car for the biggest drag race of the year and he left the Labor Day weekend with the most coveted trophy of his career.

That 1971 U.S. Nationals victory propelled McCulloch into national status and he returned a year later to win another Funny Car title at Indy. McCulloch is now the winningest Funny Car driver in U.S. Nationals history with five titles (plus one in Top Fuel) and he hopes to add another crown as a crew chief this year. "We tried to go to Indy in 1970 but our trailer caught fire and burned," said McCulloch, who'll hope to tune Ron Capps and the BRUT Dodge Charger to their first U.S. Nationals title on Sept. 4 in Indy. "So we came back in 1971 and we won in our first appearance at Indy. That was special because we were a West Coast team and we beat the nation's best. Then we came back the next year and won again."

In 1972, McCulloch drove his now famous "Revolution" Plymouth Duster to five wins in seven national events but it was before a national point system like the current 2006 POWERade Drag Racing Series. "We had the dominant car back then and everyone knew the 'Revolution' car," says a smiling McCulloch. "Indy is such a big race to win. I'm not sure the young drivers these days understand that. For a lot of them, Indy is another of the 23 national races. But back in the 1970s, there were not many national events and Indy was the big one."

McCulloch is seeking to repeat that "Revolution" car's performance with Capps at the controls this time. "Ron is one of the best drivers out there," said McCulloch. "He is the complete driver. He is strong behind the wheel, great with the sponsors like BRUT, good with the media and he talks with the fans well."

This time Capps, a three-time Skoal Showdown winner at Indy, is after that elusive U.S. Nationals title that "Ace" speaks so fondly about. "Man, Ace knows how to win at Indy, just look at his record," said Capps, who has a season-high five NHRA Funny Car wins in 2006. "I want to get him another win as a crew chief now. And you don't know how much I would like to win at Indy. It is drag racing's Indy 500. I want that U.S. Nationals trophy."

Capps, a 22-time NHRA national race winner, currently ranks second to John Force in the Funny Car points after leading most of the season. And he wants that point lead back now. "We want to get back to the lead after the U.S. Nationals," said Capps, who says his BRUT team has a special setup for Friday's night qualifying session. "I know Ace talks about that 'Revolution' car from the past and I want to have our own 'Revolution' machine that dominates this year at Indy."

Capps and his BRUT Funny Car team have had their eyes on the U.S. Nationals for quite some time and their special setup. "We all know how important Indy is to Ace and Don (Schumacher, team owner and 1970 U.S. Nationals Funny Car champion)," said Capps. "Our team has been pointing towards the U.S. Nationals for awhile and I know BRUT is very excited about the Indy race. We have a big surprise for the fans at Indy and I am really anxious to get the BRUT Dodge Charger out there and run hard."

Capps knows that the U.S. Nationals is a long, grueling event and that track conditions change dramatically on the racing surface at O'Reilly Raceway Park. "Indy has so many cars that run down that track and the heat of the day can make the conditions extremely tricky," says Capps. "By the time we race on Monday at Indy, the track has taken a beating. The NHRA does a great job preparing the track, but it can only take so much from the high-powered cars. That is why we can really use Ace and Don's background and expertise on how the track surface will change."

And Capps hopes McCulloch can bring him a U.S. Nationals Funny Car title with his own "Revolution" machine.

file002b.jpg

I really hope Capps wins Indy,not just to get the points lead back,but for "Ace".

BTW...Ace's "Revellution" F/C was a Dodge Demon,not a Plymouth Duster.

You're seeing things Paul, The car is completely Blue... if you see any green, lay off the coffee :D

Now, what did I tell ya guys about the Vinyl 'paint' jobs Kelly? See what happens at 4.66@ 334 :rolleyes:

Capps, McCulloch Bring "Revolution" History To Indy

"Indy is such a big race to win. I'm not sure the young drivers these days understand that. For a lot of them, Indy is another of the 23 national races. But back in the 1970s, there were not many national events and Indy was the big one."

file002b.jpg

Well, I have to disagree with this statement by Ed. I think all drag racers well know what it means to win Indy, right down to the kids in Jr. Dragster classes. Don't sell anyone short. Sure, most of the younger racers aren't sure WHY Indy is Indy, nor do they know HOW it got to be what it is. Hell, us old timers can't even make sense of it, but we all know how big and important it is to everyone. I even know someone who has snuck in, at least one day, each Labor Day weekend for the past 41 years. He doesn't do it because he's cheap, or a criminal, he does it because it's become part of the lore and mystique of Indy. Last year, when I had my Merc in the Finest 51 display at the Big Go I talked to a young black female security guard, who would be spending each night on duty at the track. I asked her how she felt about having to work all night. She replied that she'd rather be at Indy on Labor Day weekend than anywhere else. She "gets it", and I think just about everyone else does too.
Bob

Good post Kelly but I don't like it!

You have convinced me to root for Ron and Ace. I hope John Force can forgive me. I think a win would be the highlight of Ace's career and I would like to see it.

Second thing I don't like is the name, O'Reilly Raceway Park. It will NEVER be anything other than IRP.

BTW...Ace's "Revellution" F/C was a Dodge Demon,not a Plymouth Duster.
Pretty sure the early Revellution cars were Dusters, but you`re right, there were some that were Demon bodied. Brut really should have a retro RRRRevellution look on that car for this years Indy.

I don't care for that paint job at all. As far as points, I personally don't think Capps will be able to gain the lead again but not only because of Force. I predict that Tony P will pass him in points, also. But I would enjoy seeing a Big Go win for the Ace. He's one of my favorites and always will be.

Robert, I must agree. To my way of thinking it's damn near sinful to call it anything but IRP & "Indy". I was lucky enough, & old enough, to attend the first "Nationals" held there & it will always be the #1 race of the year to the true diehard drag racers.
I'll admit that it's maybe lost some of it's prestige today because there are so many races now & the way the point system is, to some, it has become just another race in the series.
But it is still "the" race that everyone wants to win above all others. If you are good enough & lucky enough to win that one you have beaten the very best racers in the sport. Everyone brings their very best to Indy & they don't leave anything in the trailer................."HIP"

Amen to that Roger... I'm one of the ones who feels Indy has lost a little of it's mystique - but it's still Indy & it's still the greatest drag race of the year, bar none.

P.S. You will NEVER hear me say or see me type whatever company that is, Raceway Park - it's IRP, plain & simple.

Robert, I must agree. To my way of thinking it's damn near sinful to call it anything but IRP & "Indy". I was lucky enough, & old enough, to attend the first "Nationals" held there & it will always be the #1 race of the year to the true diehard drag racers.
I'll admit that it's maybe lost some of it's prestige today because there are so many races now & the way the point system is, to some, it has become just another race in the series.
But it is still "the" race that everyone wants to win above all others. If you are good enough & lucky enough to win that one you have beaten the very best racers in the sport. Everyone brings their very best to Indy & they don't leave anything in the trailer................."HIP"

While your right on about the Points and the number of races. The fact that So Many of the Big Hitters show up with special paint-schemes is what still makes this such a Huge race!

Ace's first RRRRRRRRRRevellution flopper WAS a duster, before the Revell deal came along, He and Art had a beautiful Low Rider blue and 'panelled' duster.

Indy is Indy is Indy... once upon a time, it was also double points. And I think Ace is right, alot of the kids don't understand what it meant to win 'The Big Go' when there was only 4 National Events and The World Finals.

Can't wait to see the All Blue "Brut" car, keep teasing us with the daily 'Strip-Tease' Kelly...

Karl,
The "Whipple and McCulloch" car was indeed a blue paneled Duster.The "Revelloution" cars were Dodge Demons,then Dart Sport bodied cars.

Yes, At one point they did run a Cuda body car. The Car they bar-b-qued coming back from Indy in a trailer fire was sold to Twig Zieler, which was bodied as a duster. Yes, the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRevellution cars were Demons.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back