Ace shoots one off on T Ped! (1 Viewer)

The year after Scott's accident, Alexis DeJoria hit the safety net as fast as Scott did. Due to the improvements she was not injured (car destroyed) I think if the sand pit area was as it is, Scott would have survived.

That was still scary.

the track is too short, been there, done that, JMO.

REX

The statements from Tony and Ed come from completely different mindset:

Ed - employee, no vested interest in reducing business expenses. He may try but reaps no loss from not reducing.
Somebody else writes the checks.

Tony - owner, 100% vested interest in saving business expenses. He knows the bottom line and knows that for the business to survive, he has cut costs.
He writes the checks.

Anybody who has ever owned a business knows the differences between employee and owner. Some of the people who have posted here don't know that difference.

The statements from Tony and Ed come from completely different mindset:

Ed - employee, no vested interest in reducing business expenses. He may try but reaps no loss from not reducing.
Somebody else writes the checks.

Tony - owner, 100% vested interest in saving business expenses. He knows the bottom line and knows that for the business to survive, he has cut costs.
He writes the checks.

Anybody who has ever owned a business knows the differences between employee and owner. Some of the people who have posted here don't know that difference.

Excellent post Paul, yes, when you pay the bills (AND drive), the perspective can be different somewhat.

REX

Trying to run with the Champane crowd on a beer budget don't work, any business person knows that so why try.

Trying to run with the Champane crowd on a beer budget don't work, any business person knows that so why try.

think the jist of the whole conversation is whether or not
the champagne parties are sustainable?

always a few more that will show up for a keg party :rolleyes:

Champagne expenses on a beer budget!!
I recall two brothers who ran over the competition on a beer budget until one brother died in qualifying at Indy.
It can be done, you just have to be smart and know when to go for it, no holds barred.
YES it is possible to run with the champagne crowd on a beer budget.
Am sure its not easy but who said life was easy anyway.

Since it was brought up in this post...What makes Ace a legend? In fact, what makes any driver/owner a legend?

Since it was brought up in this post...What makes Ace a legend? In fact, what makes any driver/owner a legend?

I would say sustainability. Many drivers have won races, but many have had very short careers. Ace has managed to stay around quite a long time while winning quite a few races in the process, whether it be as an owner/driver, driver or crew chief.

How many times has he won Indy?

Sean D

Everyone has a different opinion. That's what makes the world go round. It's cool when 2 guys let you know how that feel, and pull no punches. Good for the sport, good for the fan.

Hypothetical - If 1000ft, the Countdown etc and car counts were still the same roughly, just with a few new names here and there in 5 years time....would you still be interested? Would your interest be roughly the same? What would you expect to see?
Given the fact that guys like Ace wont be around tuning these cars forever, Its a question worth some thought.

That alone wouldn't chase me away. I grew up as a kid in the 80's in the sport watching Connie, Garlits, Amato, Shirley and so on. As they hung up their helmets I watched the Scelzi, Scott K and Cory Macs of the world. That has now turned to Schu, Dixon and Antron. The names change but I will keep coming.
What has chased me away is the things like the C down. I haven't left Drag Racing, Instead I have rediscovered my local track, divisional races and other shows that I used to go to more often. My 4 events the year before the countdown has dropped to what looks like just Indy this year.

I still can't get used to 1000' in person but it doesn't bother me that bad. While I would prefer a return to 1320 I really have ZERO faith in the powers that be coming up with a productive and sustainable plan that will not completely castrate the nitro cars. I guess I would rather live with the evil I know.

I think it was early 90's that they changed the rear ends which slowed the cars down for several years. Would that still be an option?

Champagne expenses on a beer budget!!
I recall two brothers who ran over the competition on a beer budget until one brother died in qualifying at Indy.
It can be done, you just have to be smart and know when to go for it, no holds barred.
YES it is possible to run with the champagne crowd on a beer budget.
Am sure its not easy but who said life was easy anyway.

I understand what you are saying, but things have changes quite a bit since then.

^^^^ Amen Tony. Amen. ^^^^

I have no idea where this beer budget is that will work.

We ran on less than 1/10th the budget of the #1 car in 95 and did well. Very well. # 3. I know you cannot run on that today and do that well.

You cannot life cycle parts like we used to and still make stuff work. It has sadly to ruin the old saying become the sport of kings. And cash is king.

There are a lot of us out here forced into early retirement by the costs. Take a damn hard look at the list of people who are sitting at the ranch who were out just 3-5-7 years ago.

It ain't cause we all wanted to go to the house. We had to. It is because if we didn't there would be no house left to go to.

I'm with you man. As you can see from my avatar, I have been around this sport a long time. I am 46 years old. I went to the last 1/4 mile race NHRA put on at Norwalk, and then a couple of weeks later I went to the Night Of Fire event that was 1,000'. I haven't been back since. I hardly pay attention on tv. The only thing that was holding my interest this year, was the pick 'em game that used to be sponsored by CSK. I forgot to make my picks last week, so now I'm even done with that. I will pay less attention than I did last year. Next year, if it is the same, I will pay less attention than I did this year. Personally, I think they are losing fans faster than they are gaining them. Not only are they losing fans, they are losing longtime supporters like Barry and I. I have gone from 4 or 5 races a year, and dropping big bucks at events, to not going at all. Something needs to change. I don't have those answers, but somebody needs to figure them out. I don't have much faith that it will be figured out. Maybe the newer, younger fans will carry the torch. I'm not convinced their attention spans are long enough. Then again, how long does your attention span have to be at 1,000'! :rolleyes:

Well, I took the advice handed down by several people on this site. (Vote with your wallet.) I only attended one day at Baytown this year and made up for it by spending more money at INDY last weekend. My brother (who won't go to an NHRA race any more) and I saw four days of great racing..... Sprint cars, INDY Lights, midgets and the 500. The open house this year would have been disappointment had it not been for JFR. That place is "must see" for any drag racing fan. I'll try to post some pics.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back