BIR improvements (1 Viewer)

mick

Nitro Member
money being spent on new road course surface/runoff/barriers.
(2:20 - 2:22 fc & tf turn off for nationals)
turn 1 will be even more smooth for any chute failures on the strip ;)
(from brainerdraceway.com)
BIR Road Race Course - 2013 Improvements - YouTube

looking @ schedule i don't see where BIR has a road course only event
scheduled; they are all in conjunction with drag race events (unless bikes?)
wondering if original road course passing under bridge has been deemed
unsafe?.....or it just makes more $ense to hold dual events as often as possible.
their 2013 K&N Nascar Pro Series event is even a dual event.

money being spent on new road course surface/runoff/barriers.
(2:20 - 2:22 fc & tf turn off for nationals)
turn 1 will be even more smooth for any chute failures on the strip ;)
(from brainerdraceway.com)
BIR Road Race Course - 2013 Improvements - YouTube

looking @ schedule i don't see where BIR has a road course only event
scheduled; they are all in conjunction with drag race events (unless bikes?)
wondering if original road course passing under bridge has been deemed
unsafe?.....or it just makes more $ense to hold dual events as often as possible.
their 2013 K&N Nascar Pro Series event is even a dual event.

Yes Mike, it does make way more $ense to run the dual events, not much more overhead to bring in two groups of racers and fans( read more gate fees, camping and concessions) and if just a single event is running most of the property sits idle. There are a few closed/private events that still utilize the long road course with the dragstrip straightaway. I think the CRA motorcycle group also runs a race or two on the "big" track. I was told with the upgrades the only thing that the track couldn't be sanctioned for would be F1.

of course i understand the financial benefit of running dual events, but
the allure of BIR road course racing over the years has been the long straight and wide sweeping turn 1.......that seems to be in the past, for now anyways.

yes the article mentions sanctioning anything but F1, but there again, does
that mean the altered road course? or the original?

anyways, not complaining - it's a wonderful place, can't wait to spend my
money there again in 2013.

Last edited:
I was a flagging and communications worker for the 2010, 11 & 12 Trans Am events. Found out about this last Labor Day while working corner 5. Let me tell you that the road race teams are delighted this work is getting done.

The road course had become notorious, (especially amongst the Trans Am teams who use soft compound rubber,) for becoming a cheese grater for tires. In fact, that tendancy came into play in '13, affecting the outcome of both days of racing. After Saturday's race, some of the TA1 tires were down to the cords. I've got pics, I'll see if I can get 'em posted.

corner5.jpg

That's me doing a couple of laps during "touring" at the 2011 July SCCA event. The track was rough, and bumpy. (This is turn 5) Can't wait to try the new surface out! :D

I myself would love to see the Trans Am series use the orginal course again, but I can't blame the owners for wanting to maximize the income with dual events.

The events are completely independent of each other, by the way.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back