Goodbye Atlanta (1 Viewer)

I haven't been there since I retired at the end of the 2019 season, but I notice in the video there is a new apartment complex being built right up on the hill next to the fan camping area. Allan may know for sure... but I have to wonder if that gave NHRA a little more motivation to sell.

Last edited:
although i don't think anyone would argue that venues need to keep pace and constantly improve, atlanta (at least yesterday (sunday) does prove that you can have an average
facility and still bring in a very good crowd (or 'sell out' as was announced).......seems like the last race there was a good one.

I haven't been there since I retired at the end of the 2019 season, but I notice in the video there is a new apartment complex being built right up on the hill next to the fan camping area. Allan may know for sure... but I have to wonder if that gave NHRA a little more motivation to sell.
The whole area is being developed. It's sad to lose a race track, but I also understand it from the NHRA's perspective. It's a good time to sell property and that land is very suited to housing being so close to the interstate. The NHRA gets some security in what has been a tough 12 months, and drag racing moves on.

I made the trip down from Ohio for the first time this weekend. Smaller track than anything I’ve ever been to before, but honestly that was probably one of my favorites I’ve been to. Crowd was incredible, the atmosphere was awesome. I enjoyed it that’s for sure.

Being an amateur videographer, I thought the sunset at the end of the video was appropriate.

What an awesome looking venue. It’s a crying shame that it’s now history.

I looked at their schedule for the rest of the year and I don't see any "Last Drag Race". I know Atlanta is no Lions or OCIR, and NHRA owns the place, but it seems sad there is no final celebration event. A sign of the times I guess.

I think this was the last race. By that I mean the race that everyone went to one last time to see The Show.

I looked at their schedule for the rest of the year and I don't see any "Last Drag Race". I know Atlanta is no Lions or OCIR, and NHRA owns the place, but it seems sad there is no final celebration event. A sign of the times I guess.
I heard they were starting on demolition Monday after race

I heard they were starting on demolition Monday after race

Not true, they have a divisional event may 22-23 and a full season planned. The new owners don't get the place until October.

Not sure, but heard talk of a Jet Car Spectacular or something as the last event in the fall.

Alan

Not true, they have a divisional event may 22-23 and a full season planned. The new owners don't get the place until October.

Not sure, but heard talk of a Jet Car Spectacular or something as the last event in the fall.

Alan

That would be fitting. Thanks Alan.

Alan
that would be the greatest send-off for the place. gut the tower prior to race, then torch it in front of fans.......that would actually get a lot of press

Attachments

• JetCar.jpg
    JetCar.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 14

Alan
👍

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back