Goodbye Gateway (1 Viewer)

Depends if the DOVER group are into making money or not.... according to some friends of mine in the area the drag strip pulls in more people than the NASCAR races.....and i would bet it cost less to have the drags than the oval races as well...

hope not though.. drag strip seems to be a pretty decent facility ....

Story I got on Memphis (from a former employee) was that the drag strip made money. The circle track is what brought it down. And, that the biggest mistake they made was closing the dirt track and building the big speedway.

Never been to Madison, but I have heard it's in a Bad area! Not sure what it holds crowdwise to other tracks, but the crowds look decent!

The advantage of a drag strip is that it can generate cash on a weekly basis if the track has a good bracket racing program. That is also the case if the track has a circle track or road course that can be used on a regular basis. The problem with a big Nascar track is that the facility sits idle for most of the year.

Like Memphis; if the property can be liquidated- it will be. If someone in real estate had the time to look it up, I would bet they could find the listing for this property.

Never been to Madison, but I have heard it's in a Bad area! Not sure what it holds crowdwise to other tracks, but the crowds look decent!

It's right off of the Interstate, 'Noise. I've been there when the shutdown area was the starting line during its AHRA days. ('70 - '71) I don't recall anything around there at that time as a "bad area".

Mitch

you know gateway's oval might have a bright future in testing.... the Rocks oval has had tons of cars testing there.. and looks like the Nationwide series is about to get more strict on its testing so maybe this opens it to them for testing and even more cup teams traveling that far to test...

testing at the oval, weekly drag racing plus a national event might equal profitable...

Gateway International Raceway.. Not a Bruton Smith Track- But not a DUMP!! It kind of reminds me of Virginia Motorsports Park. All the Pitting and Parking is one one side. Very small facility-menaing you do not have to do a lot of walking. The down side is that spectator parking is $25.00 for EACH DAY!!! If you can get past the Garbage Dump on the left side of the track it's OK! The St. Louis Airport is about 40 minutes from the track lots of hotels in the area. Very easy to find and get to. Doing the MTS (Mail From Home) Kiosk I encounter a lot of racing fans. The people in the Mid-West were some if not the FRIENDLIEST!!! Great people!! For a lot of them it's the NHRA National Event they get to attend!!!

Gateway International Raceway.. Not a Bruton Smith Track- But not a DUMP!! It kind of reminds me of Virginia Motorsports Park. All the Pitting and Parking is one one side. Very small facility-menaing you do not have to do a lot of walking. The down side is that spectator parking is $25.00 for EACH DAY!!! If you can get past the Garbage Dump on the left side of the track it's OK! The St. Louis Airport is about 40 minutes from the track lots of hotels in the area. Very easy to find and get to. Doing the MTS (Mail From Home) Kiosk I encounter a lot of racing fans. The people in the Mid-West were some if not the FRIENDLIEST!!! Great people!! For a lot of them it's the NHRA National Event they get to attend!!!

Somebody must of got hosed. I only paid $15 a day for parking.

Somebody must of got hosed. I only paid $15 a day for parking Mark, what day(s) were you at the race? I spoke to a lot of INDIVUDALS and they were all paying $25.00 a day to park!!! HMMMMM??????

Somebody must of got hosed. I only paid $15 a day for parking Mark, what day(s) were you at the race? I spoke to a lot of INDIVUDALS and they were all paying $25.00 a day to park!!! HMMMMM??????

Went all 3 days - $45 when I ordered my tickets. Maybe that's the advance price. A bunch of us from work would go every year & a coworker would order the tickets so we would all sit together. Him & his family didn't go this year so I ordered the tickets.
We got spoiled not paying for parking in Topeka all these years. Now they gouge you also. I guess they have to pay for that 200 miles of chain link fencing somehow. :rolleyes:
From what i've heard what they charge for parking at the new Cowboy Stadium I guess I should feel lucky.

Gateway hosts several other races that draw large crowds such as ADRL and NMCC .
A good location for big Door Car races ! Saint Louis Loves Drag Racing !

OK- Mark that very well coud be. I spoke to indivudals that I knew and didn't know and they all said that parking was $25.00. Even one of the girls that was working with us at the MTS (Mail From Home) Kiosk had to pay the $25.00. I rode in with someone who had Gold Key!!!
Went all 3 days - $45 when I ordered my tickets. Maybe that's the advance price. A bunch of us from work would go every year & a coworker would order the tickets so we would all sit together. Him & his family didn't go this year so I ordered the tickets.
We got spoiled not paying for parking in Topeka all these years. Now they gouge you also. I guess they have to pay for that 200 miles of chain link fencing somehow. :rolleyes:
From what i've heard what they charge for parking at the new Cowboy Stadium I guess I should feel lucky.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back