Goodbye NHRA (1 Viewer)

Rich

Nitro Member
For 2009 the ASCS has a new national 360 sprint car series with sponsorship from Lucas Oil (with races to be shown on Verses). And for the first time the ASCS national tour will be coming to the Pacific Northwest. However, the only problem is that the ASCS race at Grays Harbor Speedway in Elma is scheduled for the same weekend as the NHRA Northwest Nationals at Pacific Raceways. Although it's been many years since I've missed the Northwest Nationals, with the advent of 1000' racing the choice as to which race to attend is a no-brainer. Come mid-July I'll be in Elma watching real dirt track racing rather than the 1000' crap the NHRA is trying to feed us.

So it's goodbye NHRA. I had a great time and a helluva lot of fun while it lasted. But it's time to move on.

Rich, well said. Changes like this are very hard to take for us traditionalists. For me the 1000' ranks right up there with BRUT leaving the sport. Of course that's just me.

Its all about choice of where to spend your dollar. For me, it will always be drag racing 1st.:D

rich i agree with you 1,000% no pun intended. ive went to the nats @ e-town for 27 years in a row now, ive decided i wont be going now, the 1,000 ft fiasco is just to bogus for me. they shortened the racing but not the prices!! between that and the countdown producing champions that have a good 6 race streak only (2 years in a row now for p/s and f/c) , the nhra is in trouble, they need to change, sad but the truth, just my 2 cents :(

Here in New Mexico we are fortunate enough to see about 2 ASCS shows a year, as well as the WoO which have gotten Boring as hell I might add! But Drag racing has been my favorite for years.

For 2009 the ASCS has a new national 360 sprint car series with sponsorship from Lucas Oil (with races to be shown on Verses). And for the first time the ASCS national tour will be coming to the Pacific Northwest. However, the only problem is that the ASCS race at Grays Harbor Speedway in Elma is scheduled for the same weekend as the NHRA Northwest Nationals at Pacific Raceways. Although it's been many years since I've missed the Northwest Nationals, with the advent of 1000' racing the choice as to which race to attend is a no-brainer. Come mid-July I'll be in Elma watching real dirt track racing rather than the 1000' crap the NHRA is trying to feed us.

So it's goodbye NHRA. I had a great time and a helluva lot of fun while it lasted. But it's time to move on.

Good, we'll never miss you crybabies!

Sprint cars over drag racing? You're kidding me. You must not have been much of a drag racing fan to begin with, that's all I can figure. :confused:

Sprint cars over drag racing? You're kidding me. You must not have been much of a drag racing fan to begin with, that's all I can figure. :confused:

I make a few hundred runs down the drag strip a year. Given the choice between a A National and a good Sprint car race as a spectator,dirt racin gets my vote too.

I make a few hundred runs down the drag strip a year. Given the choice between a A National and a good Sprint car race as a spectator,dirt racin gets my vote too.

lurk5.gif

Attended my first drag race in the mid-60's and followed it the best I could since then (which was sometimes difficult because I didn't always live near a track and the NHRA didn't have anywhere close to the television coverage then as it does today).

Spint cars over drag racing? Football over baseball? Are you saying that one can't enjoy both? Truth be known, over the years I've also enjoyed NASCAR and the IRL as well. I guess that makes me a race fan. But if I were a football fan (which I am not) I would undoubtedly also have serious second thoughts about my sport if the NFL decided to shorten the field from 100 yards to 80 yards.

If 1000' racing does it for you, then have at it. I'm more than content to leave with my memories of good times intact. And for me watching sprint cars is no sacrifice - nor is it a step down. I've been attending sprint car races at our local track, as well as World of Outlaws races for a number of years and have enjoyed it very much.

Last edited:
hmmmm, problem here. Want to go to Seattle to see my kid, but want to go to Elma with the late model I'm racing with too. This sucks!

WoO would be better without the wings..makes slot cars out of 'em.

I live about ten minutes from Skagit Speedway which runs 410's, 360's, and a sportman's class. But what we don't have, and what I would love to see, is sprint cars without the wings such as USAC runs. The only wingless sprint cars that I've actually seen are the midgets, which run at Grays Harbor Speedway.

Attended my first drag race in the mid-60's and followed it the best I could since then (which was sometimes difficult because I didn't always live near a track and the NHRA didn't have anywhere close to the television coverage then as it does today).

Spint cars over drag racing? Football over baseball? Are you saying that one can't enjoy both? Truth be known, over the years I've also enjoyed NASCAR and the IRL as well. I guess that makes me a race fan. But if I were a football fan (which I am not) I would undoubtedly also have serious second thoughts about my sport if the NFL decided to shorten the field from 100 yards to 80 yards.

If 1000' racing does it for you, then have at it. I'm more than content to leave with my memories of good times intact. And for me watching sprint cars is no sacrifice - nor is it a step down. I've been attending sprint car races at our local track, as well as World of Outlaws races for a number of years and have enjoyed it very much.

I guess we have at least one thing in common...watching since the 60s. I come from a drag racing family and have watched my brother run since the mid 60s when he raced F/S and my dad built the engines. I've also seen sprint cars at Lernerville. It's fun, but doesn't float my boat like drag racing, but if you dig it, cool man. I've seen my brother race both 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile tracks. They both have their challenges. I can live with 1000' for the pros, but hope they don't go any shorter than that. BUT, coming from the Steel City area, I do lub my football!!! :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back