Goodbye NHRA (1 Viewer)

Earlier this year I went to Skagit Speedway for the first time since I was 10 years old. (I'm 38 now. :eek: )

The weekly show there is an amazing value. They have the three sprint classes with at least 10-15 cars each, plus 30+ Outlaw Hornets. Qualifying, heat races, and a main event for each class, all packed into about 3 hours. And you get all that for only 13 bucks! I was so impressed that I ended up going to 3 of the weekly events, plus one night of the WoO.

It's a shame that the Dirt Cup falls on the same weekend as the D6 LODRS event at Pacific Raceways.

Wow, some sprint car fans. I am a "race" fan. As far as I'm concerned, a quality show (be it NASCAR, ARCA, late models on dirt or asphalt, sprint cars, silver crown cars, midgets, INDY cars) are all worth watching. When the quality of the show is diminished is where we have a problem. NHRA, with 1000' racing and the possibility of very shorts fields goes way past diminished for many people. I will still attend Houston, at least, maybe more if something good happens between then and Memphis. If not, I always have the other shows to fall back. Memorial Day weekend will be another blast, weather permitting. USAC sprints at Terre Haute on Thursday, INDY Lights Friday afternoon and Silver Crown cars at the Fairgrounds on Friday night, midgets at Raceway Park on Saturday and a little thing they call the INDY 500 on Sunday makes for a great weekend. I like baseball and football just as well too, go figure.

Do they race a 1320' oval at the sprint car tracks? If so, the heck with the NHRA. I want that extra 320 feet, ...or nothing. :rolleyes:

Earlier this year I went to Skagit Speedway for the first time since I was 10 years old. (I'm 38 now. :eek: )

The weekly show there is an amazing value. They have the three sprint classes with at least 10-15 cars each, plus 30+ Outlaw Hornets. Qualifying, heat races, and a main event for each class, all packed into about 3 hours. And you get all that for only 13 bucks! I was so impressed that I ended up going to 3 of the weekly events, plus one night of the WoO.

It's a shame that the Dirt Cup falls on the same weekend as the D6 LODRS event at Pacific Raceways.

You're right about Skagit Speedway being a great bargain. And if you get your tickets at Haugen's supermarket instead of the track you get an even better deal (I believe you save a buck per ticket).

You're also right that it's a shame that the Pacific Raceways LODRS race and the Dirt Cup are scheduled for the same weekend. Even so, I usually opt for the Dirt Cup because it's such a big event here in the Skagit Valley. Last summer we went for all three days and had a great time. We also went to both days of the WoO event at Skagit as well as the WoO race at Elma (which is a very nice facility).

IMG_0021_1209.jpg

One of the nice things about the WoO race is that the haulers are parked at the various motels and hotels around Mount Vernon and Burlington. During the day the teams take the cars out of the haulers and work on them right on the streets and parking lots. For instance, the above pic was taken at a hotel just a few blocks from my house.

Do they race a 1320' oval at the sprint car tracks? If so, the heck with the NHRA. I want that extra 320 feet, ...or nothing. :rolleyes:

Speaking of shorter fields, how's the Arena Football League doing these days? :rolleyes:

After days of speculation, the Arena Football League announced Monday that it will suspend the 2009 season in hopes of returning in 2010.

The decision was made by the league’s board of directors during a conference call Sunday night.

“Owners … recognize that, especially in light of the current unprecedented economic climate, the AFL, as a business enterprise, needs to be restructured if it is to continue to provide its unique brand of this affordable, fan-friendly sport,” acting commissioner Ed Policy said in a statement.

I could be wrong, but I doubt that the 100 yard NFL or NCAA leagues and conferences are in danger of folding anytime soon. :cool:

Speaking of shorter fields, how's the Arena Football League doing these days? :rolleyes:

I could be wrong, but I doubt that the 100 yard NFL or NCAA leagues and conferences are in danger of folding anytime soon. :cool:

First of all, Arena football is quite a bit shorter than 80 yards (which was your first scenario). Also, the Arena Football League doesn't have the Steelers, Giants, Titans, Cowboys, Patriots, Colts etc., or as far as NCAA, the Big Ten, Pac Twelve and so on. BUT, the NHRA "does" have the Forces, Schumacher, Dixon, Anderson, Coughlin, Capps, Hines, Bernstein, Pedregons, Wilkerson, etc. It's the players involved that make the sport. If field distance is such an issue, then I should quit watching the NFL and start following the CFL right? Hey, they have 110 yard fields. We're getting short changed by the NFL.

WoO would be better without the wings..makes slot cars out of 'em.

The last 3 times the WoO have been here, they prep the track Super Dry to protect their equipment as they say! Well from a spectators point of view it SUCKS! It's nothing but follow the leader in a dust cloud! What a waste that series has become!

I guess you may as well make your plans now to go to Elma because who will be left in top fuel by the time Seattle rolls around?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back