Gaydosh Quits (1 Viewer)

The engine leasing deal is nothing new. Some may remember back to the mid 90's and Maskin/Schmidt & WJ all leased engines. All you needed to do was show up and they would wheel an engine to your pits and install.
Yes, but guys like Larry Morgan, Mark Pawuk, Bob Glidden, Jerry Eckman etc. raced against the leased engine guys, and could win races. Can't say the same thing today.

Yes, but guys like Larry Morgan, Mark Pawuk, Bob Glidden, Jerry Eckman etc. raced against the leased engine guys, and could win races. Can't say the same thing today.

Bob Utner (Bo Butner) won a championship leasing a KB engine..................at 70,000 per weekend........................IIRC

Yes, but guys like Larry Morgan, Mark Pawuk, Bob Glidden, Jerry Eckman etc. raced against the leased engine guys, and could win races. Can't say the same thing today.[/QUOTE

If you look at the results...those guys qualified an won rounds here and there, but were not successful against the leased guys. Yates & WJ were winning all the races and if they didn't, their lease customers did.

Bob Utner (Bo Butner) won a championship leasing a KB engine..................at 70,000 per weekend........................IIRC
that's a lot of cash but I think he leased the engine and everything connected to it, in other words the entire car !!

WOW...I remember when a good friend worked at Huffaker back in the day. They would lease last years GTU road racer for $40K per weekend. That included a crew as well. People were taking second mortgages out on their house, cashing in retirement funds and doing whatever it took to rent the car for a weekend in hopes of securing sponsor dollars. Racing makes people crazy...

$170,00 for a new car, 30 of it for shocks? I appreciate the technology, and how far it's come, but with no TV time, the incredible difficulty in securing sponsorship (helped by lack of TV), no real purse money, etc. etc., PS is really just a playground for a few rich guys who love those cars. And that's just not enough to sustain a category.

Before I bought my RJ Pro Stock Camaro from JR Carr to run in top sportsman a few months ago I got a quote from one of the big three P/S chassis builders for a Top Sportsman car. It had no electronics, no $30,000 shocks, no plumbing, no wiring, no body paint, no wheels, no tires, and no third member. $150,000.

Frank Gugliotta told me JR Carr's RJ Race Cars Camaro I just purchased from them was $185,000 when they bought it new in 2015 equipped with everything they left on it when I got it. At first I was scratching my head over someone paying that much for a roller. After spending some time working on it, seeing the infared ride height sensors, Racepak with every sensor known to man, and everything else on this car, I actually called Ricky Jones just to tell him I've never been near a pro stock car until I bought JR Carr's. I told him the unbelievable level of workmanship and the attention to detail on this car is stunning. It made me a believer.

If you have the money you want the best. I don't (have the money), so I'm the guy along with many others who's in line to scoop up one after the depreciation hit happens and they want to sell them. A friend of mine who has a Penske Indy Car parked in his living room on display and said he would move the Indy car over and park the pro stocker next to it rather than run it. No, he's not married (LOL).

Here's the video RJ Race Cars did of it when it was new in 2015. It would be sad to see these go away.

Hey Ken,
Not sure where you got that number but I assure you that Bo is not paying anywhere near that. When he was told that a turn key FSS car could be had for Indy for 30K for the weekend, his response was "I don't pay that much to run Pro Stock."

Randy, truly sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through. Your NHRA family is here for you, but I'm sure you already know that.

Alan

Hey Ken,
Not sure where you got that number but I assure you that Bo is not paying anywhere near that. When he was told that a turn key FSS car could be had for Indy for 30K for the weekend, his response was "I don't pay that much to run Pro Stock."

Randy, truly sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through. Your NHRA family is here for you, but I'm sure you already know that.

Alan

Do you know whether or not he leases the entire operation, or is the chassis his and whatever number he does pay is for the powerplant only?

And ditto on your thoughts to Randy. Tough situation for sure. My prayers to you and yours, Mr. Goodwin.

Sean D

Hey Ken,

Alan

it was the number I read in an article, I will try and find it again.

My heart breaks for you Randy. She seemed to be thinking of you more than herself, even while battling. God Bless you and your family.
Cancer is the scourge of the 21st century. Takes too many. My prayers for you and your family. Prayers for a cure as well.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back