Gaydosh Quits (1 Viewer)

To run one of the most expensive classes in NHRA competitively on a limited budget is quite an accomplishment. To recognize it's time to hang it up before you bankrupt yourself is another major accomplishment. He has nothing to be ashamed of.

While it may be considered a significant step down for him (financially as well) he could have considered changing drivetrains and running top sportsman for a while with the car he had just to stay out there and have fun. I quit TA/FC back in 2012 but miss the fun, so I bought a newer pro stock car to run in top sportsman. I don't considered it a step down. Like NASCAR, I call it "rightsizing". Run all year, change the oil a few times, and keep the BBQ lit. Doesn't wipe out my retirement plans, either. Better than sitting at home.

That’s a shame I’m a definitely more of a nitro guy but I could go with out a few burnouts on tv if it means pro stock gets more eyes best of luck John we will miss you.

I know the feeling. Back in the mid 80s I owned thoroughbred race horses, something I had always wanted to do. It was a great experience and I'm glad I did it. But after about four years of doing all the right things like Gaydosh did, I realized that is a sport for people with way bigger pocketbooks than mine and had to get out. It's hard to give up something you have dreamt of doing but sounds like it is the right decision for him. It's unfortunate that the headwinds he cited about NHRA are all true and have been documented here many times.

Nice to see his positive comments for Chris McGaha. I know Chris has taken lots of hits lately but it's stuff like his helping Gaydosh and what other racers do to help competitors that rarely gets publicized.

Yep,thank nhra for that,tv time for ps sucks

If NHRA devoted a 2 hour show for PS only it still would not have made a difference. You see how many people leave the stands when they come to the line, just imagine how many at home leave the room. There were lots of times in the 80's when only second round of PS were show on TNN and PS did just fine.

Maybe NHRA should invest in another boom camera for the other lane. It seems like they always focus on the top guy v.s. the one that basically has no chance of winning except if the guaranteed money bet red lights, breaks, or was sleeping at the tree. Give both cars equal air time on the show.

so PS will be down to about 10-12 cars next year?? leaving-

Butner
Skillman
Gaydosh
Gray
McGaha

might be time to buy a used PS car, show up, "qualify", lose first round, what would that pay??? 5-7k

Butner
Skillman
Gaydosh
Gray
McGaha

might be time to buy a used PS car, show up, "qualify", lose first round, what would that pay??? 5-7k
What I thought it was a rumor about tanner going NASCAR truck racing!!???!!

If NHRA devoted a 2 hour show for PS only it still would not have made a difference. You see how many people leave the stands when they come to the line, just imagine how many at home leave the room. There were lots of times in the 80's when only second round of PS were show on TNN and PS did just fine.
TNN always showed all categories from 2nd round forward on each show. Depending on time, they would show the semi's forward for PS. If there was a shocker in round 1 they would show that recap only.

Butner
Skillman
Gaydosh
Gray
McGaha

I would have to think NHRA has been keeping its finger on the pulse of the class, knowing they are looking at adding MM cars next year they must have known they would be losing full time cars. Its such a shame the prior management pushed the FI changes and in turn, opened the wound more.

$170,00 for a new car, 30 of it for shocks? I appreciate the technology, and how far it's come, but with no TV time, the incredible difficulty in securing sponsorship (helped by lack of TV), no real purse money, etc. etc., PS is really just a playground for a few rich guys who love those cars. And that's just not enough to sustain a category.

i didn't watch one single round of PS at brainerd this year. not even the final. only walked past their pit area on my way to say hi to sportsman friends.
been there, seen it. sorry, my day is full by the time i eat, walk thru pits, say hi to friends, watch stock, watch nitro. i pay no attention to all other classes. not enough time in day. i'm sorry, as close as their racing is, they are boring to watch. i get the class. i get the talent. i get the incredible engineering. it's really an amazing class that has costs out of control. nhra needs to hi-lite a doorslammer class in it's professional ranks. i'm not sure if PS is that class anymore......i agree with others. john g.'s decision to back away is admirable. my hat is off to all that he was able to accomplish in the class.

Pro Stock should never have been a pro class.

I disagree 100%. There was a lot of good Pro Stock racing over the years. Glidden, WJ, Reher & Morrison, Wayne County, etc. There was factory involvement from the "Big 3" and it made for a good product.

I will say this, unless you can rent an engine and get support from Elite, Gray, or KB, I don't know why anybody would even bother. Show up, run half a tenth behind at least, and get your ass kicked week in and week out. Chris McGaha being the exception, and I applaud his efforts.

Last edited:
I disagree 100%. There was a lot of good Pro Stock racing over the years. Glidden, WJ, Reher & Morrison, Wayne County, etc. There was factory involvement from the "Big 3" and it made for a good product.
Agree with you we need more cars like ford , dodge and so on , You know what would be really cool, a pro stock challenger!

It is awesome John was able to accomplish a long time dream. He was able to qualify and go some rounds here and there which is no small feet for anyone. For him to do what he did on a shoestring budget proves that he is a very good racer (by racer, I mean can set up a car and make tuning calls to get it down the track). But, he had to know going in that any NHRA class, especially PS is not a good business plan. There hasnt been anyone make a living or even come close to breaking even in PS for the past 20+ years.

I will say this, unless you can rent an engine and get support from Elite, Gray, or KB, I don't know why anybody would even bother. Show up, run half a tenth behind at least, and get your ass kicked week in and week out. Chris McGaha being the exception, and I applaud his efforts.
The engine leasing deal is nothing new. Some may remember back to the mid 90's and Maskin/Schmidt & WJ all leased engines. All you needed to do was show up and they would wheel an engine to your pits and install. You were not allowed to open anything up...only tune the carb and adjust the clutch.
The issue is the cost of running the cars and staying competitive has gone to astronomical levels. 170K for a rolling chassis sound right, but 30K for shocks? I knew they were specialized, but thats stupid special.
At Reading we were walking through the pits and my wife said "lets go see where the real money is" and walked to the Pro Stock pits. Its a rich kids playground and the little guy cant compete.

Honestly, technology advances when people will pay for it...shame on NHRA for allowing all of it to get out of control, not just in Pro Stock. BTW, I was recently looking to get back into Super Gas...I need at least 80K to be somewhat competitive

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back