F/C chassis integrity (1 Viewer)

Karl,

Regardless of how the engine came apart there isn't any discussion of those parts and their reliability...
I just get tired of hearing about how GOODYEAR needs to make a better tire when the other manufacturers of hi-po parts are not doing their part...
People like BAE, TFX, etc love blown nitro/methanol owners and their money cause if everyone only had to purchase the parts once they'd be out of business...You never hear of them on the complaining side of the biz...IMO

Terry,
If Goodyear gave 'us' the tire that would live up to the abuse, every piece of pipe out there now would be obsolete... flex walls, 30%+ growth, very 'soft' compound... we're pass the tire... and it's not Goodyear's fault...

As far as 'killing' engines and bottom ends... heck, even blower belts... it's not bad parts, it's good parts pushed beyond what was conceivable 25 years ago... and trying to make power that last less than 5 seconds under full load... all of which could be fixed by two line in the rule book. "All cars must Run with the Heads, Block, Crankshaft, Rods and Pistons that they qualified with." The other Line? "During Eliminations, All cars must be in the staging lanes 30 minutes after the completion of their previous run"

d'kid

Terry,
If Goodyear gave 'us' the tire that would live up to the abuse, every piece of pipe out there now would be obsolete... flex walls, 30%+ growth, very 'soft' compound... we're pass the tire... and it's not Goodyear's fault...

As far as 'killing' engines and bottom ends... heck, even blower belts... it's not bad parts, it's good parts pushed beyond what was conceivable 25 years ago... and trying to make power that last less than 5 seconds under full load... all of which could be fixed by two line in the rule book. "All cars must Run with the Heads, Block, Crankshaft, Rods and Pistons that they qualified with." The other Line? "During Eliminations, All cars must be in the staging lanes 30 minutes after the completion of their previous run"

d'kid

Way to go, Karl. Simple and effective--hope someone is listening.

..................As far as 'killing' engines and bottom ends... heck, even blower belts... it's not bad parts, it's good parts pushed beyond what was conceivable 25 years ago... and trying to make power that last less than 5 seconds under full load... all of which could be fixed by two line in the rule book. "All cars must Run with the Heads, Block, Crankshaft, Rods and Pistons that they qualified with." The other Line? "During Eliminations, All cars must be in the staging lanes 30 minutes after the completion of their previous run"

d'kid
Come on now, that's not a real solution. No one would make it to the lanes.

Everything on these cars is being pushed beyond what was conceivable 25 years ago... Take a little bit of the down force away and there would no longer be any reason to push them so hard.

want to slow em down
put a conventioal blower case back on
restrict the opening in the blower
restrict the opening in the hat
if they cant breathe
they cant go as fast

Come on now, that's not a real solution. No one would make it to the lanes.

Everything on these cars is being pushed beyond what was conceivable 25 years ago... Take a little bit of the down force away and there would no longer be any reason to push them so hard.

Nope, don't give the time to field strip the car... change the oil, Fuel it, Pack the chutes, back in the lanes... then the cars aren't set on kill every pass... yeah, I do remember running 32 car open shows, pop the covers to run the valves hot... throw in fresh plugs, drag it back up to the line...

And really, now we have teams swapping mills 'tween rounds in Neutered Floppers... (P/S)

Bottom Line... Ya break It, Your Days Done... how hard Are you gonna lean on it?

want to slow em down
put a conventioal blower case back on
restrict the opening in the blower
restrict the opening in the hat
if they cant breathe
they cant go as fast

Nope, I'm saying take All the Restrictions Off... INNOVATION... do what you want, as hard as you want... but you have thirty minutes between rounds... on the same engine... anyone remember people taking ten to fifteen shots at Indy?

Nope, don't give the time to field strip the car... change the oil, Fuel it, Pack the chutes, back in the lanes... then the cars aren't set on kill every pass... yeah, I do remember running 32 car open shows, pop the covers to run the valves hot... throw in fresh plugs, drag it back up to the line...

And really, now we have teams swapping mills 'tween rounds in Neutered Floppers... (P/S)

Bottom Line... Ya break It, Your Days Done... how hard Are you gonna lean on it?

thats how we run on the nostalgia circuit and it's some good racing....you can change a piston or a head if need be in 30 minutes, i have seen it done

i think that same crank, block, possibly rods are good ideas....but heads and pistons are to easy to hurt....all you have to do is be a little on the lean side and you can nick a piston or hurt a head

Last edited:
thats how we run on the nostalgia circuit and it's some good racing....you can change a piston or a head if need be in 30 minutes, i have seen it done

i think that same crank, block, possibly rods are good ideas....but heads and pistons are to easy to hurt....all you have to do is be a little on the lean side and you can nick a piston or hurt a head

Point Mike....

One set of heads and one rack... but your 30 minutes start when you cross the scales...

One thing that will not fly...........4.80's or .90's, T/F

5.0's F/C

In the warm(er) months single mag 60 gal pump restricted intake/overdrive.......not to mention less downforce/tire

That is the best we will see.

Better not let the A/fuelers or TA/FC run the same event.:cool:

Those poor SOB's will take a slap upside the head if they even get close.......:eek:

REX

One thing that will not fly...........4.80's or .90's, T/F

5.0's F/C

In the warm(er) months single mag 60 gal pump restricted intake/overdrive.......not to mention less downforce/tire

That is the best we will see.

Better not let the A/fuelers or TA/FC run the same event.:cool:

Those poor SOB's will take a slap upside the head if they even get close.......:eek:

REX

Oh really? why not?

I remember seeing my first Flopper 6... it was a Wednesday night at OCIR, a week before Indy... this guy from Chicago, Don something, just picked up a new car from Johnny B... could I tell you without the clocks if it was a 6.98 or a 7.13... nope...

outside the car, at half track, two equal cars (Dixon and the Prince) can you tell me, if both cars are hooked up and not dropping cylinders, if they are on their way to a 4.57 or a 4.87 run?

Hate to say this, but I can't see half a second... a pair of side by side 5.1 floppers look the same as a pair of side by side 4.75 floppers at half track...

The only 100% way to slow the cars down is to limit the time they have between rounds... and limit what can be replaced on the car between rounds...

d'kid

While we are wishing:

Same rules, but 1000 foot tracks: WOW ET's and low 300MPH speeds.

Just don't make a big issue of it to "Joe Fan" ...:D

Oh really? why not?

I remember seeing my first Flopper 6... it was a Wednesday night at OCIR, a week before Indy... this guy from Chicago, Don something, just picked up a new car from Johnny B... could I tell you without the clocks if it was a 6.98 or a 7.13... nope...

outside the car, at half track, two equal cars (Dixon and the Prince) can you tell me, if both cars are hooked up and not dropping cylinders, if they are on their way to a 4.57 or a 4.87 run?

Hate to say this, but I can't see half a second... a pair of side by side 5.1 floppers look the same as a pair of side by side 4.75 floppers at half track...

The only 100% way to slow the cars down is to limit the time they have between rounds... and limit what can be replaced on the car between rounds...

d'kid

All cars must be in the staging lanes 30 minutes after the completion of their previous run"

So.. Worsham wins his semi final, but to no fault of his own hangs open an intake valve and backfires the blower and messes up the body. Small fire, no big deal, but they need to replace some wiring. Tim Wilkerson won his semi final round too, but the chutes got wrapped up in the wheelie bar, and it takes a trip to the beach and is up to it's ass in sand. Chassis is straight, Body can use a little fixing, or drag out the spare, but the car needs to be taken all apart and given a good bath.

If they can't make it back in 30 min. for the final they are both out????? :eek:

Yeah!!! I want to pay a bunch of money to not see a final!!! :eek:

Flame on....

Last edited:
So.. Worsham wins his semi final, but to no fault of his own hangs open an intake valve and backfires the blower and messes up the body. Small fire, no big deal, but they need to replace some wiring. Tim Wilkerson won his semi final round too, but the chutes got wrapped up in the wheelie bar, and it takes a trip to the beach and is up to it's ass in sand. Chassis is straight, Body can use a little fixing, or drag out the spare, but the car needs to be taken all apart and given a good bath.

If they can't make it back in 30 min. for the final they are both out????? :eek:

Yeah!!! I want to pay a bunch of money to not see a final!!! :eek:

Flame on....

there will be exceptions to any kind of changes that are made regardless of what they are

While we are wishing:

Same rules, but 1000 foot tracks: WOW ET's and low 300MPH speeds.

Just don't make a big issue of it to "Joe Fan" ...:D

"Joe Fan" will believe what he sees on the Scoreboard...

which really brings us to the next question, is it how long you do it or how quick you do it.... safely?

Okay, why not goes metric... 1/4 Klick= 250 meters= 819ft 4inches+/- an inch...

To answer your question Paul... bring back the Break rule... Quickest loser is back in if the winner's broke...

"Joe Fan" will believe what he sees on the Scoreboard...

which really brings us to the next question, is it how long you do it or how quick you do it.... safely?

Okay, why not goes metric... 1/4 Klick= 250 meters= 819ft 4inches+/- an inch...

If you go metric you'll confuse all the folks who can't count to ten and will be asking "what's a klick?":D 1/4Km or a 1000' either is better than hurting folks or 660'

Semper Gumby
D

there will be exceptions to any kind of changes that are made regardless of what they are

Mike - we know you have a lot of knowledge about fuel racing, so I am going to ask you a question that I have asked before and have never recieved a convincing answer.
Why don't teams with unlimited resources just swap in a fresh motor and clutch package every round? I've heard theories that motors take a "set" and that is is easier to tune for the next round. But it seems to me that throwing in a fresh bullet in (possibly) 15 minutes, firing it up and tuning from there might work. I'd really like to know why this wouldn't be better - Jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back