Heat treayed Chassis tubing (1 Viewer)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Sorry to add another thread on JFs incident- but it seems alot of attentionseems to be focused on heat treated tubing as part of the chassis's. There was one clip of the crash that included a quick flash as the rear of the car on the end of a hook of a tow truck being removed from the track. I'm hardly an expert but It sure looked to me that the end of the head loop ( if thats what it is called) appeared to have been broken off from the main top rail of the chassis. It also could have been a point where they used an extraction device to help remove John from the car. My point is when the enlarged the head loop after the Gators was the new tubing welded in the same spot on the top rail. If so, could the heat treating affect the welds penetration after it was already welded once? Way better minds and experts hopefully will figure this out and come to a solution.
One last thought. In over 40 years of following dragracing I have never seen or heard of a funny car separating like Johns did this past week. Maybe clutch explosions in the eary years before the Steel cans cut a few rails but not a total car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back