Tubular Tales part # ? (1 Viewer)

sdwarf36

Nitro Member
Ok-its been beaten to death--but yesterday while cleaning up some older magazines from the lunch area I came across a copy of Applied Welding (Miller Welders promo mag) from 2007-with a pic of John Force on the cover. There is a interview with Murf McKinney inside. The artical goes on to explain what it takes to build a funny car chassis.

“Some people say you can’t weld heat treated tubing to normalized tubing. Well, you can,” states Todd Morris, McKinney’s chief engineer. “We’ve done a lot of pull tests, and the welds are never an issue. The test part always fails in the parent material. Even if the joining process anneals the metal a little bit, the weld creates a smooth passage between the hardened steel and the normalized steel. There’s no brittle edge that’s just waiting to break.”

Heres the whole thing from their site.
CHASSIS FABRICATOR CHOOSES DYNASTY TIG INVERTERS

Ok-its been beaten to death--but yesterday while cleaning up some older magazines from the lunch area I came across a copy of Applied Welding (Miller Welders promo mag) from 2007-with a pic of John Force on the cover. There is a interview with Murf McKinney inside. The artical goes on to explain what it takes to build a funny car chassis.

“Some people say you can’t weld heat treated tubing to normalized tubing. Well, you can,” states Todd Morris, McKinney’s chief engineer. “We’ve done a lot of pull tests, and the welds are never an issue. The test part always fails in the parent material. Even if the joining process anneals the metal a little bit, the weld creates a smooth passage between the hardened steel and the normalized steel. There’s no brittle edge that’s just waiting to break.”

Heres the whole thing from their site.
CHASSIS FABRICATOR CHOOSES DYNASTY TIG INVERTERS

Sherman, excellent article thank you very much.:cool:

Sherman- thanks for the good read... But isn't the issues not the welds, but the actual brittle makeup of the material itself and that being too stiff/rigid for the constant dynamic that is the modern Funny Car chassis?

I would be more concerned with a small Heat Affected Zone on a weld joint that has metal of differing hardness.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back