F/C chassis integrity (1 Viewer)

What gets me is that the current T/F-F/C tires are supposed to be safe to 325 mph, but it really gets me as to why goodyear decided sit on their hands under their butts when they know that a tire is needed to withstand 340+ mph. I guess their satisfied with injuring drivers every so often, and the occasional death of one.:(

I can't believe there are people out there that think Goodyear could build a better tire, and just doesn't want to. Unbelievable!!!

Simple question.

Why can't we have a kind of F1 style cockpit safety pod?

They are designed to keep intact in heavy shunts.

Evening watching old TF's and Fuel Altereds, some of their drivers look like sitting in pods?

Cheers

James

I guess their satisfied with injuring drivers every so often, and the occasional death of one.:(

I vote this as the most ignorant post so far in the thread !
Goodyear has been telling NHRA for more than ten years that this tire design was maxed out . They needed to change to a sidewall design that would have made every chassis obsolete . Goodyear has stated many times that this tire is good for 340mph with no safety factor. They didn't want the cars to go over 320 many years ago.
Now we have much more down force ,and tighter track prep than ten years ago, added to a higher degree of clutch & ignition management The rev-limiter stopped them from 340mph, but now they are getting over stressed by half track .

Remove half the wing and spoiler area, and the tire problem goes away.

If the Russell lawsuit goes bad ,I hope you like Alcohol racing because Goodyear is close to telling NHRA Nitro cars goodbye.

They don't need to hear fools saying that Goodyear doesn't care about deaths.

Ok this is for the math wiz's out there.

We know that when you balance a rotating item (tire, crank) the closer the better. This helps the harmonics.

crunch some numbers and show us what weights do to rotating mass/force.

We have all seen the unbalanced tire on the freeway bouncing away.

Who is up for the challenge? ;)

I'm interested in the topic of funny car chassis safety. As a driver of an alcohol funny car, anything involving safety gets my attention - even though we go much slower than the fuel guys. I am not interested in reading posts where people take shots at each other - if you have issues with someone else on this site please send a PM. For those who thrive on watching people in conflict, turn on the news or watch a "reality" TV show.

Post of the year nominee!^^;)

Goodyear has been telling NHRA for more than ten years that this tire design was maxed out . They needed to change to a sidewall design that would have made every chassis obsolete . Goodyear has stated many times that this tire is good for 340mph with no safety factor. They didn't want the cars to go over 320 many years ago.
Now we have much more down force ,and tighter track prep than ten years ago, added to a higher degree of clutch & ignition management The rev-limiter stopped them from 340mph, but now they are getting over stressed by half track .

If the Russell lawsuit goes bad ,I hope you like Alcohol racing because Goodyear is close to telling NHRA Nitro cars goodbye.

THIS IS THE POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!
Everyone, read this at least twice!!!!

Since you are even more ignorant than originally thought, go back and read all of my post....other than that, I won't argue with you....

Sorry to the others on here...
You mean this one:

This is pure speculation, but something that I was thinking about....what if when the tire went and it wrapped up in the rear end and tore the body up, it locked up the rear end causing the torque to rip the chassis in half....??? Just a shear guess, but maybe a possiblilty??? Basically like locking up the axle rotation at 300+ miles an hour......I'd think that kind of force could bust that chassis in that area....:confused:
Looks like you're the ignorant one since you're saying the rear-end locked up when it clearly did not. Before you call people ignorant for not buying into your "speculation" why don't you offer up some evidence. I've watched the video at least 40 times now and many others have watched it numerous times and nobody has seen what you think happened. Is everybody else wrong, or just you? Yes, the tire came apart and tore up the body and caused a violent vibration that broke the frame. No, the tire did not wrap around the rear-end and lock it up.

Read this: ::: Drag Racing Online ::: Chassis Design Counterpoint: The Chassis Design is Good - 09/28/07

You mean this one:

Looks like you're the ignorant one since you're saying the rear-end locked up when it clearly did not. Before you call people ignorant for not buying into your "speculation" why don't you offer up some evidence. I've watched the video at least 40 times now and many others have watched it numerous times and nobody has seen what you think happened. Is everybody else wrong, or just you? Yes, the tire came apart and tore up the body and caused a violent vibration that broke the frame. No, the tire did not wrap around the rear-end and lock it up.

Read this: ::: Drag Racing Online ::: Chassis Design Counterpoint: The Chassis Design is Good - 09/28/07

I didn't say it did for sure happen, and if wouldn't have to completely lock up to do the damage....but since you have 20+ years in drag racing, you must know everything.....and for the matter, I'm sure you know what has caused every wreck and death in all motorsports because you sit in front of your TV every weekend....

I can't believe there are people out there that think Goodyear could build a better tire, and just doesn't want to. Unbelievable!!!

It's simple goodyear doesn't make money on fuel tires so why constantly update a product that they don't make money on, they can design a new nascar tire allmost every week and still make money off of them.

It's simple goodyear doesn't make money on fuel tires so why constantly update a product that they don't make money on, they can design a new nascar tire allmost every week and still make money off of them.

Whether they make money or not, it is still their reputation!
Goodyear would never put out a substandard or dangerous product
based on minimal profit.

Excellent, excellent post Jerry. It is getting to the point of drastic measures. One or two more of these accidents and sure enough, Goodyear, along with many other sponsors won't want to have anything to do with this sport. The equipment has exceeded it's limits, and at most, all of the data aquisition, etc. that Force Team is doing, in reality is just trying to learn how far the equipment has been exceeded. It's similar to playing Russian Roulette.

How much sense does it make to have the weight of a loaded dump truck on the back of these cars going 330 mph???

[/B] How much sense does it make to have the weight of a loaded dump truck on the back of these cars going 330 mph???
I think that's exaggerating it by quite a bit. An empty dump truck probably weighs over 14,000 lbs, twice the downforce on the rear wing.

Seems like everyone has high expectations of GOODYEAR TIRES but what about reliability w/ other parts of the car...I do not see anyone complaining about Billet Block lifespan, crankshafts, valvesprings, clutch parts, etc...
Some think GOODYEAR TIRES need improvement but more top-end accidents are caused by explosions, wing failures, too much ignition, too much fuel, etc, etc...
Did anyone hear about the rods hanging out of Force' engine block after the crash?

I think that's exaggerating it by quite a bit. An empty dump truck probably weighs over 14,000 lbs, twice the downforce on the rear wing.

14,000 lbs? Keep going.

The dump truck I drove was a tri axle Kenworth, it weighed just over 27,000 lbs empty!! (with me in it) :)

yeah, I did....

did you hear if the bottom end let go before or after the motor free-wheeled

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back