Exactly HOW MUCH MONEY DOES A PRO DRIVER MAKE? (2 Viewers)

Tim,

I will retract my earlier post. Your explaination makes it clear that I misinterpreted what you were asking. I do think that you could have been a little more clear about the information you were looking for, but I also take responsibility for my over-reaction to your question. I have never had an issue with you personally and don't now. Hopefully we can have a beer in Las Vegas and still be friends.

Alan

Exactly what Greg Said...SAME THING HERE! Just trying to get a ballpark figure for a project I am working on.
Tim,

Best of luck with your "project". ;)

I'm surprised we haven't bumped into each other at the track, we could really use your input over on the ColoradoDragRacing.com forums!

Chris Andrews
(still trying to give the local Colorado racers some exposure since 2006)

The things you do for love......

.....I'd be surprised if ANY driver makes BIG BUCKS (500K+) and even OUR definition of Big Bucks pales in comparison to the N-word Series or for driving in the Aero-Sewing Machine (F-1) series.
Something to do with supply and demand. There are not enough pro-level slots and too many who WILL drive for free.

Now, if you own your own team, you might be able to put a few bucks aside - after expenses but, figuring the sponsorship packages and purses, there's just not an awful lot of money floating around. (On edit, personal services contracts and advertising featuring the driver would increase that number substantially - like to see more ads featuring our heros.)

PS: I'd bet (because of supply/demand) crew chiefs on average make more than drivers.

PPS: NHRA sponsorship is still one of the best buys in ALL sports marketing!

Last edited:
I've heard what a couple of Pro Drivers make in this sport. And I'm sure most get bonuses based on winnings, but who's more in demand Crewchiefs or drivers? I bet the Best crewchiefs make more than just about every driver out there!:rolleyes:

A friend of mine is a crewman, (and I know several so you don't know who it is) but anyway the first year they did pretty good and he made a little over 70,000 for the year. That's not hen's feed but he worked 3 times the hours as most of us hacks do.

Consider this, I'm not sure what he makes now but he made more as a crew member in one yean than what my total operating budget is for a year by a long shot.

I can't answer what a driver makes, but I can say this, every driver has a different deal. No two deals are structured the same. Some pay to drive taking a portion out of the money their sugardaddy/sponsor has provided for them to go shop/aquire a ride, some are paid entirely on merrit of driving ability (very few are). Then you have the souvinere revenue, and that is structured differently. Then some have a deal where they get a portion of the winnings as a bonus, some don't have that, as the team owner just puts it back into the operating budget.

As for comparing what a drag racer is paid vs. a nascar or F1 driver, you have to look at it like you would in comparing baseball, hockey, football players,, they all are way apart in spite of rivaling popularity.

Tim,

I will retract my earlier post. Your explaination makes it clear that I misinterpreted what you were asking. I do think that you could have been a little more clear about the information you were looking for, but I also take responsibility for my over-reaction to your question. I have never had an issue with you personally and don't now. Hopefully we can have a beer in Las Vegas and still be friends.

Alan

Well......OK!:D Since you asked nicely, and Since you Drink "BUDWEISER...THE OFFICIAL BEER OF THE NHRA" that makes your a cheap Date;)! See you later this week.

Timmah!

Tim,

Best of luck with your "project". ;)

I'm surprised we haven't bumped into each other at the track, we could really use your input over on the ColoradoDragRacing.com forums!

Chris Andrews
(still trying to give the local Colorado racers some exposure since 2006)

I guess this is a bad thing to say, but I didn't know it existed!:eek:

Now I do! I'll stop by and say hello some time!

Thanks,

Timmah!

Tim,

Alan

Mouth opened... foot removed... mouth closed..... ;) :D

I'll buy you a beer in Vegas Alan.
cheers.gif

guess it's a generational thing... I was brought up not to ask nor is it polite to enquirer about a person's compensation... The question is tacky and uncalled for... bragging about your salary is debase and not done if you have any class... which is why I have no respect for stick and ball employees...
d'kid

Not saying Tim's question was out of line or anything, but I agree with you Karl. We lost our HR gal in the office over blabbing out about employee's salaries. I think common sense should've told her better.

I'm one of the aged here on the board and my father taught me a very important principal in my youth:
"Nobody but your spouse, your accountant and your employer should ever know your salary, period!"
Nothing good can come from broadcasting such (either laughter or jealousy) and when he worked for Sears back in the horse and buggy days (not really) any employee was immediately dismissed for discussing his wages. This way a person could negotiate his wage/salary with his employer based upon his performance/value/worth to the company. Of course, labor unions have ruined all that where a thirty year veteran makes the same wage as an incoming youngster with no regards to his knowledge, production, customer service value, etc.

As far as Pro Driver's income goes, re-read Dale Smith's post. Some have to pay to drive. Some get paid handsomely but it's what they negotiate or bring to the table. I suspect if I personally landed Microsoft to sponsor me driving a professional entry with a giant, long-term contract, I could pick the team I wished to participate with and negotiate a fairly handsome salary for myself including what happens with all winning$ along the way.

On the other hand, if a team owner lands the sponsor, assembles the team, takes all the risks, provides the funding and equipment and I'm just a hired gun, I'll have far less strength in my negotiations when I'm merely acting as a glorified crew member.

Tim,

Alan

Really nice of you Alan. A little history or explanation to the guys about the photo. Alan did some charity function (I don't remember what it was) and dressed for the occasion.

I've never met the man personally but in my book he's a good guy and someday I'll meet him at some track and he'll tell me what he's gonna do to me the next time I post it! :D

ONE MORE TIME ALAN.

alan_dress.gif

This way a person could negotiate his wage/salary with his employer based upon his performance/value/worth to the company. Of course, labor unions have ruined all that where a thirty year veteran makes the same wage as an incoming youngster with no regards to his knowledge, production, customer service value, etc.

Anybody familiar with the military payscale? Their pay grade is listed right there on their ID cards. I think it's figured out by rank and years of service. Plus there are other things like combat pay that add on to it but I'm not sure if it would move you from an E-3 to an E-4 OR if it would be something like E-5 plus a percentage or something.

I just tell people that I get paid weekly, very weakly.

... A little history or explanation to the guys about the photo. Alan did some charity function (I don't remember what it was) and dressed for the occasion. ...
alan_dress.gif
No way! They just caught him in his normal "going out with the boys" outfit before he could leave the track! LMAO :p:D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back