Exactly HOW MUCH MONEY DOES A PRO DRIVER MAKE? (1 Viewer)

Tim5636sc

Nitro Member
In General..how Much Money Does A Pro Driver Make?

I've been wondering this for a long time, and I've never seen it posted here before. Just how much does a Driver for a top Pro team make? Base Salary??? Percentage of Winnings???? Bonus Structure??? Any body have any ideas?

Last edited:
How much do you make?

It's none of your business!

Alan

JEEZ Alan........Snippy, aren't we??;)

Kidding aside, I don't think the question is THAT off base.

Same thing asking about any profession, they are jobs, some more fun/riskier than others.

If I wanted to mortgage the farm and liscense in a Pro fuel car, I'd like to have an idea.......:rolleyes::D

and the question is not about a specific driver.

Just generally.

I have heard between nothing and $250K

I could be completely wrong but that was what I recall.

REX

I kind of agree with Alan on this one. I wouldn't want anybody know what I make that is kind of personal if you ask me. :cool:

Someone a while ago posted all the prominent drivers salaries on here once I recall Tony Schumacher was at the top.

Well, I make $35,000 a year as a seasoned springmaker. I'm not necessarily proud of it, but I'm not ashamed of it either. Big deal.

I'm sorry, Alan, but I'm with Rex on this one. I don't think the original question isn't out of line at all. These guys are professional athletes/entertainers and media giants like ESPN report this sort of thing all the time. It's not like anyone is expecting anything in particular, much less will judge/complain if it's a big number. I think we all know there are mega-dollars involved in professional auto racing, including the driver's salaries. These folks are heroes to many of us, which is why we pay ridiculous amounts of money to go see them, buy their souvenirs, etc. to start with. Hell, Alan, I've said many times over, and will say it again, I believe you are one of the best voices for Drag Racing to come along in a long time. I would expect and hope that you do very well for yourself because you deserve it.

That question may be a little out of line in a conversation amongst average Joe's, but not in this case.

Sean D

I kind of agree with Alan on this one. I wouldn't want anybody know what I make that is kind of personal if you ask me. :cool:

Someone a while ago posted all the prominent drivers salaries on here once I recall Tony Schumacher was at the top.

If the question were how much does Bob Pellegrini or Ron Capps make?

Yup, personal as hell.

As far as how much does a mason/plumber/NHRA pro driver make.......roughly? As long as the question is in general?

Question is fine.

How much do I make? I can't say, because I am self employed, but I can say I might clear $75K at the end of the year, reason I'm not sure is years vary in income for me, some a little better, some ALOT worse:( , and this year ain't over yet.........

REX

Last edited:
That question has been asked numerous times. You'd have a better chance at having Alan Johnson let you take home his tuning data for a week than getting a straight answer.:)

Tim,

If you're so tight with Jack, why not just ask him instead of an internet message board? I have his number if you need it!:D

The drivers aren't in a Union and aren't paid on a scale.
I'll bet the drivers are paid anything from a Pittance to a BUNCH........all over the scale. But they are doing what they LOVE and a lot of us wish we could...!!;):)

A lot of Masons and Plumbers aren't in unions.

I'm a Mason and never went near a union.

So scales mean nothing to me personally.

And from what I have heard (pittance/bunch), you are probably right.

REX

Tim,

If you're so tight with Jack, why not just ask him instead of an internet message board? I have his number if you need it!:D
Bill,

I don't even know how much Jack's deal is worth. Of course, I've never bothered to ask because it's none of my business... and I think Jack respects that fact.

Jack and I have had conversations regarding the "deals" pro drivers have, not necessarily dollar figures... but I think most people would be stunned at how they really are.

Last edited:
Its a valid question, we know roughly that F1 drivers are paid some serious coin. We know it takes serious coin to race at the pro level. Once someone has proper funding place, how much does a hired driver make for driving/appearances/sponsor relations?

S/F
D

Greg...So true...From my experience it blew my mind when I found out how little most of these pro drivers pull down, but on the other hand they are living their dreams which is a very healthy way to survive regardless of $$$.
I recently sat next to a couple of publicist' and they mentioned wages of 75-200k...But the MAJORITY of pro drivers are not making even close to that much...And 200k is not that much cash to survive on....And the crewmembers are not skipping meals but they are not even close to the upper tax bracket...IMO...alot of people want to be connected to blown fuel/methanol to feed their egos...and there are big 'wannabee' egos in all forms of racing...

Forget the drivers.... We want to know how much Alan makes:D

After listening to some of his jokes... Some days over paid some days under:)

If it is a general question then i don't think it's that out of line.

As for me, I make more than some and less than some...:)

...I recently sat next to a couple of publicist' and they mentioned wages of 75-200k...But the MAJORITY of pro drivers are not making even close to that much...And 200k is not that much cash to survive on...

When you consider that even the lower tier NASCAR Nextel cup drivers earn around a million dollars per year, you are right that 200k is certainly not much.

For comparison Alonso Fernando, the current F1 champ, has recently been reported to have turned down 57M dollars, at current exchange rates, to drive next year for Toyota.

Read the title of the thread again. It's not a general question. And if you want to know what I make, I'm selling copies of my tax return for $10,000.00 CASH!

Alan

I don't care what Alan makes, or what the Fuel drivers make. They could never be paid enough for their job.......at least the drivers!

Just kidding Alan. You and Bob are the best.

My big question is how many planes Kalitta Air has?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back