Eric Medlen Passed Today (1 Viewer)

My father is recent to the sport, he started regularly attending local races with me recently, and watches NHRA with my son and I once in a while. One of his first observations was how much of a family the racing community is. We all love and respect each other, care for and about each other, and wish the best to everyone, even the person who will be our opponent in five minutes. The drivers love the fans, the fans love the drivers. This is without a doubt the best thing about our sport. In a situation like this, in a strange way, I almost wish it wasn't that way, that we all didn't care so much, and it didn't hurt so much, but even so, I wouldn't change it for anything. I am not particularly a fan of Funny Car (I'm a P/S kind of guy) but Eric was part of the community, part of this great extended family, and it hurts so much to think about. Nobody should bury a child. Ever. My thoughts are with all of Force racing, as well as all of you here on the Mater who are in pain.

In the interest of levity....my father's second observation was "This is the only place I have ever been where the pedestrians have absolutely no right of way whatsoever!"

Last edited:
As mentioned before I fully expected to be reading about how well the recovery was going and when he would be back in the drivers seat.

God speed Eric Medlen.

Bob

Eric rest in peace and may God hold you in the palm of his hand.
May God bless the Medlen family.

Here's a prayer that we used for my sister, I thought this would be fitting for Eric.

I ’d like the memory of me
to be a happy one.
I ’d like to leave an afterglow
of smiles when life is done.

I ’d like to leave an echo
whispering softly down the ways,
of happy times and laughing times
and bright and sunny days.

I ’d like the tears, of those who
grieve, to dry before the sun
of happy memories that I leave
when life is done.

Your life was love and labor,
Your love for your family true,
You did your best for all of us,
We will always remember you.

Let me preface this by saying that I am by no means trying to hog this thread with multiple posts. Going back to my earlier post, I stated how it was hard to find a "reason" in all this. I mean really, what good could possibly come out of this situation? I had this question on my heart, and it was eating away at me, until I went in to tuck my little boy in bed. It was at that moment that the answer rang loud and clear. My son was here with me, happy, content and loving his daddy. I took a moment to look him straight in the eyes and tell him how much I loved him, and how proud I was to have him as my son. I just took a moment, maybe a minute or two, to totally immerse myself in that time with my little buddy and log that moment away in my mind forever. From there I did the same with my little girl, who is now on the verge of being a little lady. Being the oldest, she sometimes gets the short end of the stick, and I just wanted her to know how much I love her. I also called my dad and woke him up just to tell him I love him, and how proud I am of him and to thank him for all he has done for me throughout my life. He has done so much, that saying "thank you" seems sorely inadequate.

For me, I didn't want to let Eric's death just be a meaningless tragedy. We will never know why some things happen, but we can always bring forth something positive from the depths of our pain. For me, it was just taking an extra moment to tell the people I love exactly how I feel about them, and not letting another second of my life pass by without doing so.

Tim, not only is your Daddy Right, that's the way it's gotta be...

Now six hours later, I think maybe I can say this without crying my eyes out

Mr. and Mrs Medlen, I feel for you. You had to make the toughest decision a parent should never to make... and as one father to another, John, I hope GOD never asks me to make that choice. John, given the little I know, I feel you did what was best for Eric.... It Hurts, and until someone has walk that lonely mile in your shoes, they can't know how much it hurts to make that choice...

God Bless your Son, John , may he receive him in His loving Arms, and Thank you GOD, for giving Your Son, so we may find everlasting Salvation...

Maybe I wasn't ready yet... I can't see the screen or the keyboard for the tears....

Love to you John, your Family, your friends... To say I'm sorry for your lose just isn't even the begining to how I truly feel for You and Yours

From One Father to Another.... May the Lord watch over you and keep you, and may you realize that He is taking what has happen and Good things will come from it...

Such as, opening my eyes to understand that there is Someone, Up There, and He Has Not Forsaken Us.....

I've turned in to a bit of a lurker here. Three years ago my wife and I had to make a similar decision with our son after two weeks. For the Medlen family I feel your pain, but take comfort in knowing he's at peace.

For everyone else that's hurting including those a JFR and the fans - carry on as he would have wanted. In time things will be be better, but they'll never be the same.

RIP Eric.

medlen.jpg

You know, the only consolation I can find in this tragedy is the thought of our good friend Roger. The funny car class never had a bigger fan than Roger. I can only hope he's watching Eric race now.

When I logged on to the mater homepage and saw the headline about Eric, my first thought that someone made a mistake, and that there was no way he could have passed, but as soon as I got to this page, my worst fears were confirmed. Right now there's nothing else I can say that everyone else has so eloquently conveyed.

R.I.P. Eric, you will be missed.

I have sat here for a half of an hour trying to think of something to write. So many great things have already been said that convey my exact feelings. My heart goes out to the Medlen and Force families.

As the days go on the tears will lessen, but his place in our hearts will forever be there. God Speed Eric.......

Chris Rose

I was very sadden to hear about Eric's passing. May he rest in peace...

My deepest condolences to the Medlen family and John Force Racing.

Tonight I was helping my freind put his Harley back together when his son printed this info out,and handed to me in the garage..................Call me what you will,,,I lost it. What a HUGE loss. My God, console Eric's family,JFR,and his fans. Our heartfelt condolences. JJ & family

So sad. I never met him but was always a fan. From what I hear he was a real class act.

My prayers go out to everyone...including those still racing.

There wasn't much I could do to pay my respects, so at tonight's race, I used electrical tape and simply wrote Medlen on the side of my car. Hal, the announcer spoke about it when he saw it, and that was cool. I just wanted to pay my respects to John and the family, and tell everyone at the track I thought he was a great man. Godspeed Eric.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back