Dunn's legends interview (1 Viewer)

FYI
Recorded the 4 interviews on my camera from the HD screen. Not to bad. For those who missed them or for whoever wants to save them, I uploaded the first one the "Happy Meal" one to Youtube. Look for "NHRA Legends.
Will hopefully do the other 3 tomorrow.
Thanks

Agreed, Great interview I could do without Force constantly trying to steal the show though, Warren is very witty I would love to hear more of his stories, Snake is just a straight up jerk to his fans when he was racing he has to be one of the most stuck up drivers ever! Imo

Agreed, Great interview I could do without Force constantly trying to steal the show though, Warren is very witty I would love to hear more of his stories, Snake is just a straight up jerk to his fans when he was racing he has to be one of the most stuck up drivers ever! Imo

Not only was he a jerk to fans, he was a jerk to the racers who were not a name. To expand upon his interview, when they were talking about racing to the staging lanes in 1979, John's first year on the tour, and one of the races in which I was on John's crew. When John confronted Prudhomme about cutting to the front of the line, not only did he say who is this guy talking to me (referring to John at that time), he also said, in not these exact words, that he is the biggest name the NHRA has. He went on to say that the NHRA would not send him back to his spot in line, because if they did, he would leave.

After this conversation, John went up to the tower to try and talk to Steve GIbbs, the Competition Director back then, but was told he was too busy. When John got back from the tower, he told the crew to get ready to move the car, which we did, past the front of the line, and part way into the starting area. That got Gibb's attention, and called John to the tower. When John got back, he indicated that Gibb's said all of the Funny Cars would run in the first session. I am sure this was done to be fair to the racers that were ahead of where Prudhomme would have been in line, and to also make their star happy, and not leave the race.

He must not be that bad if Snake has SO MANY FANS!!! Mabye its you? Try living a day in his shoes with all the presure of tuning back then plus winning and making a living. snake is one of the nicest people one could ever meet.

He must not be that bad if Snake has SO MANY FANS!!! Mabye its you? Try living a day in his shoes with all the presure of tuning back then plus winning and making a living. snake is one of the nicest people one could ever meet.

There was more then one person in that bench racing session, who had a bad rep among racers and fans back then. ;)

Some folks become 'heros' in spite of their early reputations. ;)

There was more then one person in that bench racing session, who had a bad rep among racers and fans back then. ;)

Some folks become 'heros' in spite of their early reputations. ;)
Just making a point i know what you are saying,wish i could be as perfect as this Mike dude.....LOL

I'll just chime in and agree with everyone, I really enjoyed that whole bench racing segment, as did my dad who was watching in Phoenix. We kept talking on the phone and reminiscing. I absolutely related to Mike Dunn's story about being in the donut shop at 5 am, the first year my dad took me to Indy was 1971, and as we pulled in to this little motel (the Mayfair?), pulling in behind us is the Mongoose. I went nuts, as I was a nine year old in the thick of the Hot Wheels era. I also remember those early mornings, heading to the track before the sun came up. Anyway, I know every sport has its history, but I don't think any sport can match the characters, or the magic, or the crazy stories that drag racing has produced in the last 50+ years. Just like you guys, I could listen to those stories forever.

He was an a$$ when he was driving the skoal funny and dragster he sure as hell wasnt turning wrenches then, I seen Don at the races since he was driving the hot wheels funny, Just because your busy doesnt give you the right to be a jerk, Wilk tunes his car and is never a jerk way more complicated these days. Maybe its just you that likes him:)

No matter what Mike D's considerable accomplishments have been, his ability to conduct these interviews gots to be his career high point- all my friends are talking about nothing else.

Loosening up the Snake and WJ enough to more than compete with Force was a miracle.

Says a lot about their respect the top flight racers have for Mike.

Loved WJ's comment about ballast and drivers. Priceless!

It equals the great F-1 designer Colin Chapman's comment about the driver getting in the way of properly triangulating the center bay of an F-1 car!

No matter what Mike D's considerable accomplishments have been, his ability to conduct these interviews gots to be his career high point- all my friends are talking about nothing else.

Loosening up the Snake and WJ enough to more than compete with Force was a miracle.

Says a lot about their respect the top flight racers have for Mike.

Loved WJ's comment about ballast and drivers. Priceless!

It equals the great F-1 designer Colin Chapman's comment about the driver getting in the way of properly triangulating the center bay of an F-1 car!

Mike dunn was great in being an interviewer , they probably were able to open up more with him because mike dunn was the kid running around the pits when those guys were racing back then so mike actually knew alot of inside info from being there back then . Would probably be alot harder talking about the old days if you werent even there .

Those were excellent. We should all write to ESPN and NHRA requesting a series of DVD's on these roundtable talks. Those guys won't be around forever, they should be preserving this stuff.

So true Lance. They should get all the SR. legends on tape. Connie, Garlits, Goose, Bernstein, Greek, LaHaie, Glidden, Shirly, ect. ect.

I like that format, no more than 3 or 4 at a time, so each gets time to talk.
We need to get 'em,... while we got 'em.

I would love to hear stories from Austin Coil , because he hung out with quite a crowd being best friends with Jungle Jim . I would also love to hear stories from Richard Tharp.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back