Intro to Houston (1 Viewer)

I was NITRO BREATH

Nitro Member
I was watching the Houston race on my dvr today and couldn’t help but re-run the intro to the broadcast. Brians words were nothing short of eloquent. He started by quoting Thomas Paine ( i think its a safe bet to think Bob Frey never did that😂) and launched into a really well written intro. Then later in he called Ron Capps 16 place qualifying “Machiavellian”. Who is writing these intros to the broadcasts??? They are so far from the normal “ nitro- babble” we are used to hearing in the past. That combined with dramatic music and visuals makes you wonder who took control of this part of the broadcast? Whoever is responsible for this has definitely up the game of the TV package. Anybody else pick up on this? And does anybody know who’s responsible??

Barry, a friend sent me a note about your post here. Thank you, sincerely.

I work hand in hand with Lauren Adams on these. Our program is simple. We come up with a theme or quote and then I script and read the words and she scores and creates the visuals that you see. Typically I get her the words early or mid-week before the race and she shoots much of what you see during qualifying and selects the music.

These are typically tweaked until minutes before we actually start making our show on Sunday.

Lauren is an amazing talent and we both take a lot of pride in delivering something that has emotional weight to start the broadcast.

The St Louis “tease” was built off a Shakespearean quote that came up over dinner in Gainesville.

It is an element of this job that I enjoy very, very much.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I am very glad that you connected with it because it means we landed it where we wanted to.

I know my style is not for everyone but I’ll never discount the smarts of our audience. Thanks for making me feel that we’re on the right track.

Barry, a friend sent me a note about your post here. Thank you, sincerely.

I work hand in hand with Lauren Adams on these. Our program is simple. We come up with a theme or quote and then I script and read the words and she scores and creates the visuals that you see. Typically I get her the words early or mid-week before the race and she shoots much of what you see during qualifying and selects the music.

These are typically tweaked until minutes before we actually start making our show on Sunday.

Lauren is an amazing talent and we both take a lot of pride in delivering something that has emotional weight to start the broadcast.

The St Louis “tease” was built off a Shakespearean quote that came up over dinner in Gainesville.

It is an element of this job that I enjoy very, very much.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I am very glad that you connected with it because it means we landed it where we wanted to.

I know my style is not for everyone but I’ll never discount the smarts of our audience. Thanks for making me feel that we’re on the right track.
Thanks for filling us in Brian. I hope you and Lauren keep up the good work and absolutely keep upping your game. I think drag racing fans can appreciate well written and presented words. Drag racing has sorely lacked top notch writers to chronicle our amazing sport. Jimmy Breslin, Roger Angell and others have written beautifully on baseball and David Maraniss wrote a terrific book on Vince Lombardy. Just to name a few. But the great book on drag racing has not been written yet. Maybe something for you to think about .....??

But the great book on drag racing has not been written yet. Maybe something for you to think about .....??

"High Performance - The Culture and Technology of Drag Racing, 1950-1990" by Robert C. Post (Johns Hopkins University Press).

I'm re-reading it for the third time. A detailed, scholarly exposition written in plain English even I can understand. High performance, indeed.

Found it! You know what threw me off? You are listed as Raymond. Heh OK, now I wanna know how you got involved in this video.

BTW, Robin mentioned the book High Performance. OK, my claim to fame (HA) is that waaaaay back at the end of the book, page 373, note #35, it says: See for example, Cliff Morgan to Dave Wallace, Drag Racing, Jan 1985, "Today's funny cars are really streamlined front-motored top fuelers". It also says "See also Morgan to National Dragster, Apr 13, 1984. Have no idea what I wrote in 1984, but I do remember being freaked out when I saw the above quote in the book. I always just thought that I was the guy who wrote letters to the editor, & never thought anybody remembered anything I wrote. We used to have that old web site, Header Flames, I think it was called. I posted on that. One day Bret Kepner posted something like wow, Cliff Morgan is posting here. I was embarresed. Always thought Bret Kepner was / is a great drag racing historian, who helped create Pro Mod & forgot more than I will ever know about drag racing, and here he is talking about me. I guess I made more of an impression that I thought.

"High Performance - The Culture and Technology of Drag Racing, 1950-1990" by Robert C. Post (Johns Hopkins University Press).

I'm re-reading it for the third time. A detailed, scholarly exposition written in plain English even I can understand. High performance, indeed.
Robin- i read high performance yrs ago and really enjoyed it. But that is not the kind of book I want to be written. What I would like to see is a really skilled writer diving in to the drama of drag racing and the people who have made the sport so important for all of us fans. Think about the recent movie ford vs ferrari. The movie was about racing but really an examination of the personalities of ken miles , carroll shelby ,enzo ferrari and lee iacoca. We have so many iconic people in our sport. Snake , garlits, muldowney, force, schumaker, kallita wow the list goes on and on. The subject is so ripe for examination.

speaking of intros......sure would like to see/try this once......start with black screen with nhra camping world logo as you hear the starter turning over a nitro motor.
5 seconds of motor running looking at logo, then to live picture of nitro car rolling into burnout as cameraman stands close to car rolling thru burnout box,
then captures car/s closeup again as they come back from burnout......the microphone(volume) is on the camera man, so it's loud as car starts and rolls thru burnout, gets
quiter as car does burnout, then becomes loud again as cars back up towards the camera man ...... a couple words from brian .......'20,000 horsepower about to be unleashed'
...... graphics on lower screen identify driver/team/sponsor .......... the cars go down track, brian doesn't talk until the cars pass finish line. brief explanation of run, then into the normal broadcast intro......should take about 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back