Dunn's legends interview (1 Viewer)

Back here in Oklahoma City we have a monthly liars lunch attended mostly by former fuel racers in this area. Many times I will hear a story and realize I was there but that's not the way I remember it. It's evolved either in my mind or the tellers mind. It's a real hoot to hear.

This area has a rich history of fuel racers in the 60s and 70s. Many touring cars stayed here because of the central location and the intersection of I40 and I35. It seems like there was always 3 or 4 out of state fuel cars staying at our shop. Billy Scott, Leroy Goldstein and Davey Babler were almost fixtures along with many others.

If you can get some type of meeting started in your area its well worth the effort. I just wish someone was recording the stories and writing a book because much of the history of what happened behind the scenes during the "Golden Years" is going to be lost in the next few years.

Mike dunn was great in being an interviewer , they probably were able to open up more with him because mike dunn was the kid running around the pits when those guys were racing back then so mike actually knew alot of inside info from being there back then . Would probably be alot harder talking about the old days if you werent even there .

And just to hear the genuine laughter from Dunn was priceless. He was like a kid in a candystore! He was with the legends he grew up watching.

Mike Dunn was the only ESPN announcer who could have pulled off those great interviews. He was there during many of those years and has 22 national wins (I believe) to add to his credibility.

As others have said, there must be more of these interviews. There are just too many stories about our great sport that have to be told.

Just imagine if Paul Page had done it: Here's a sample.

"Hey all, and welcome to the Snapon Tools Nationals here at CSK Raceway in Indy. Today we are meeting with several people who've been in the sport for a long time, please welcome John "the Mongoose" Prudhomme, Don Force, and Warren Jackson."

I thought they were great and I could listen to those for every. And to whoever posted that John was trying to take over, I didnt get that at all.

Just imagine if Paul Page had done it: Here's a sample.

"Hey all, and welcome to the Snapon Tools Nationals here at CSK Raceway in Indy. Today we are meeting with several people who've been in the sport for a long time, please welcome John "the Mongoose" Prudhomme, Don Force, and Warren Jackson."

I thought they were great and I could listen to those for every. And to whoever posted that John was trying to take over, I didnt get that at all.

Pretty funny!! But you have to give Paul page some credit. The guy new absolutely nothing about racing when he came aboard and I feel he does a good job. People pound on him, but I think he's just fine. You could never have an interview like you did unless the guy doing it (Dunn) had the experience growing up. Even Marty Reid couldn't have pulled that off.

The real sad about these great old stories is from what I have heard and read alot of them can't be told publicly . By the sounds of it drag racing was alot like rock and roll back then , except it was more like sex , drugs , and drag racing lol in certain circles . I wish I was around back then to see the glory days .

Pretty funny!! But you have to give Paul page some credit. The guy new absolutely nothing about racing when he came aboard and I feel he does a good job. People pound on him, but I think he's just fine. You could never have an interview like you did unless the guy doing it (Dunn) had the experience growing up. Even Marty Reid couldn't have pulled that off.

sad thing is he did know something or was supposed too, this is his second stint with Drag racing

The real sad about these great old stories is from what I have heard and read alot of them can't be told publicly . By the sounds of it drag racing was alot like rock and roll back then , except it was more like sex , drugs , and drag racing lol in certain circles . I wish I was around back then to see the glory days .

I wish someone was writing down all of these stories so they would be preserved just like many of the cars that made history back then. The stories are just as much a part of the history of drag racing, as the drivers and vehicles themselves.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back