Dick LaHaie 1987 (1 Viewer)

NONE

Nitro Member
Photos taken at the 1987 Southern Nationals. LaHaie was driving himself at this time.

Wayne.

LAHAIE.jpg

LAHAIE2.jpg

Gotta love those low bodied/ low windscreen fuelers where you could let your mullet flap in the breeze at 260 m.p.h! I also like the Winston banners on the fence. Sure was nice having them when we did.

Wonderful memories. And yes, don't worry all you Lexus SUV driving-soccer moms and politically-correct white collar, Crocs-wearing Dads (most of whom don't browse this site)... your 'tweener kid will not be scarred for life by reading the word "WINSTON"; nor will they get lung cancer by reading the God awful "W" word. But note the man furthest on the right, holding the starter's button. There's a man you can teach your kids to study. He is a legend. If you wanted to do a little staging duo; he wouldn't conspicuously look at his watch in front of the TV cameras.... and he didn't take crap from anybody.....and if he didn't like what you were doing - he'd shut your butt off so fast you wouldn't even what just happened....without even blinking an eye. That was when Kimmy was working on her Dad's motor, too.

Wonderful memories. And yes, don't worry all you Lexus SUV driving-soccer moms and politically-correct white collar, Crocs-wearing Dads.

If you ever see me driving a Lexus SUV -OR- wearing Crocs ... you may fire at will. You will be doing me a favor.

'87 was a good year for the LaHaies ... they were WINSTON Champions. Winston was a good sponsor for NHRA/IHRA/NASCAR while they lasted and they are missed.

Notice that throughout his entire career Dick Lahaie used Engle cams , even today the Larry Dixon dragster has an Engle cams sticker on it . You don't see many top teams use those cams any more they all use Crane or Comp or Erson and Bullet . Lahie must of been quite product loyal .

[There's a man you can teach your kids to study. He is a legend. If you wanted to do a little staging duo; he wouldn't conspicuously look at his watch in front of the TV cameras.... and he didn't take crap from anybody.....and if he didn't like what you were doing - he'd shut your butt off so fast you wouldn't even what just happened....without even blinking an eye.]

I've always wondered how many pairs of cars Buster saw go down the track in his career. You see him in every picture from the sixties to the nineties. I saw him at the 1981 NHRA Div.2 banquet in Atlanta. He was fuming about NHRA doing away with modified class. There will never be another one like him.

Wayne.

I was hopeing Dick O would come out of retirement [ he's bound to have finished that 67 Nova by now ] and he has been at least seen around a few races the last two years.
A great consummate racer and a credit to the sport.
Eddie Hill is another one of that caliber who is missed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back