DENSHAM - What does he have to do..... (1 Viewer)

I have a hard time believing he just cooled his heels in the transport lounge between rounds. I don't think he's that type of "just a driver."

My $0.02:)

I was at the race in Sonoma yesterday and watched Densham's crew work before that final round and Gary was right there with them working as well.

You are right on the nose. Having spoken with Gary a few times recently I know he would have no problem saying that plus I think I can say that Gary is not a whiner by any stretch. He's the same guy in the pits as you've seen being interviewed at the top end on TV recently saying he's just glad to be out racing and if anyone thinks he's pissing and moaning -- I'd say he has some valid points -- based on what he's said in this one article is forming their opinion on very limited information which is not a strategy I'd recommend.

As for the question posed at the outset of this thread, I'm not sure what Gary has to do, but before the finals started yesterday I was saying to hubby that Gary needed to have a good reaction time, hook it up and hope Hight smoked the tires or dropped a cylinder or some other minor mishap that would slow him down just a little bit.

He's getting closer all the time. Semis in Seattle. Finals in Sonoma. He's going to get at least one Wally this season.

Kris,

Nice comments on Gary Densham. He's the real deal, and he's really doing well for the budget he has (not that I know what THAT is). This time of year does not typically favor the high horsepower teams or those that run there cars on the edge of blowing up every run, as the hot tracks (mostly) will neutralize the advantage of the better funded teams sometimes (other than Tony Schu and Allan J). It's a shame that Gary didn't pull off the win in Sonoma as he had the car to win it, and proved it all day long, but just fell a bit short in the final. That's been the story of his life when racing on his own nickel, but when he drove for JFR and had the money, look what he accomplished. I was never happier for him than when he doubled up at Indy that year.

Anyway, Kris, did you ever publish and post the article(s) you were writing about one or more drag racers for your newspaper? I missed it if you did. Let me/us know. Send a link if necessary.

~ Kurt

What Densham needs.. is a sponsor.. even some small ones.. when you make the finials and most of what you won goes to the almost $10k fuel bill...you need money for other area on the car.....

What Densham needs.. is a sponsor.. even some small ones.. when you make the finials and most of what you won goes to the almost $10k fuel bill...you need money for other area on the car.....

I guarantee you that if Gary continues running like he has, those small sponsors and some Bigger ones might come knocking at his door!;)

Kris,

Nice comments on Gary Densham. He's the real deal, and he's really doing well for the budget he has (not that I know what THAT is). This time of year does not typically favor the high horsepower teams or those that run there cars on the edge of blowing up every run, as the hot tracks (mostly) will neutralize the advantage of the better funded teams sometimes (other than Tony Schu and Allan J). It's a shame that Gary didn't pull off the win in Sonoma as he had the car to win it, and proved it all day long, but just fell a bit short in the final. That's been the story of his life when racing on his own nickel, but when he drove for JFR and had the money, look what he accomplished. I was never happier for him than when he doubled up at Indy that year.

Anyway, Kris, did you ever publish and post the article(s) you were writing about one or more drag racers for your newspaper? I missed it if you did. Let me/us know. Send a link if necessary.

~ Kurt

Thanks. :) Yes, the story did run prior to the race. Here's the link:
Densham, Racebricks Funny Car cope with small budget, find big success - Maple Valley Reporter

When I visited with Gary in the pits on Saturday -- I interviewed him over the phone so I went to introduce myself -- I stood in the trailer and chatted with him while he was inspecting the piston heads. I was asking him how much the various parts cost and I told him I'd remember that when I was forking over the $400 or so it would cost me to fix the a/c in my Mustang. I didn't catch the name of the crew member in the trailer, blonde woman with an accent I couldn't quite place, but she and Gary joked that they couldn't make $400 last very long at a race but could probably stretch it a couple hours on beer for the whole crew. :D

I'm not saying I know the guy any better than anyone else but we spoke a fair amount about the cost of running his car before and during the race here and I feel like I have a little insight to share that may be a bit unique compared to other folks. I hope it's of interest. :)

Thanks. :) Yes, the story did run prior to the race. Here's the link:
Densham, Racebricks Funny Car cope with small budget, find big success - Maple Valley Reporter

When I visited with Gary in the pits on Saturday -- I interviewed him over the phone so I went to introduce myself -- I stood in the trailer and chatted with him while he was inspecting the piston heads. I was asking him how much the various parts cost and I told him I'd remember that when I was forking over the $400 or so it would cost me to fix the a/c in my Mustang. I didn't catch the name of the crew member in the trailer, blonde woman with an accent I couldn't quite place, but she and Gary joked that they couldn't make $400 last very long at a race but could probably stretch it a couple hours on beer for the whole crew. :D

I'm not saying I know the guy any better than anyone else but we spoke a fair amount about the cost of running his car before and during the race here and I feel like I have a little insight to share that may be a bit unique compared to other folks. I hope it's of interest. :)

Fantastic Aritcle Kris! Well Done!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back