Cory Mac to DSR (1 Viewer)

Nice dig at Griffin there at the end. Pretty tough year for Cory to say the least and it all started going downhill right after the Carriers sold. He went through four crew chiefs (Cerny, Shortall, Tobler, Adams) and the uncertainty of whether Fram was going to stay onboard after Sonoma.
Not real sure if being an official teammate of Shoes is going to help that much though, Corys already got an AJ disciple in Keith Adams and the car never really ran any better once Keith came onboard. It`s not like AJ is going to give up all his tuning secrets to help Keith make that car run better. Still, any change has got to be an improvement for CMac, he`s not used to finishing 12th in points.

Last edited:
i'd like to see both cory and fram back in the winner's circle.
good luck to all involved.

I like Cory, I think he is a great guy and a big asset to the sport. I truly hope he can get some decent sponsorship money to compete in 2008. However, I think if Cory wants to win a championship he should look elsewhere. Does anybody really think that he would be anything more than a test car, blocker, and diver for "The Sarge:rolleyes:"? Based on his stunning display of professionalism at Vegas while disputing the DQ, how could "The Sarge:rolleyes:" deal with somebody from his own team beating him? I seem to recall that when Melanie was over there she kicked ass early in the season while "The Sarge:rolleyes:" struggled. At mid-season, all of a sudden Mel's car fell over and "The Sarge:rolleyes:" started kicking ass. There were many that stated they thought there was something fishey going on. If going to DSR is the only opportunity for Cory to keep racing I say do it. I would prefer (for his sake) that Cory could find the funding to run his own program or get hooked up with another team.

Dave

Cory is definitely an asset to the sport, and he definitely deserves to stay out there. Good luck next season guys.

Cory sure loves to race. I'd love to see him run consistently well. I think if DSR wanted another dragster in the fold, they'd already have one.

I like Cory, I think he is a great guy and a big asset to the sport. I truly hope he can get some decent sponsorship money to compete in 2008. However, I think if Cory wants to win a championship he should look elsewhere. Does anybody really think that he would be anything more than a test car, blocker, and diver for "The Sarge:rolleyes:"? Based on his stunning display of professionalism at Vegas while disputing the DQ, how could "The Sarge:rolleyes:" deal with somebody from his own team beating him? I seem to recall that when Melanie was over there she kicked ass early in the season while "The Sarge:rolleyes:" struggled. At mid-season, all of a sudden Mel's car fell over and "The Sarge:rolleyes:" started kicking ass. There were many that stated they thought there was something fishey going on. If going to DSR is the only opportunity for Cory to keep racing I say do it. I would prefer (for his sake) that Cory could find the funding to run his own program or get hooked up with another team.

Dave

I agree, Cory will be driving but only until the team orders come down. Sure wish Cory could do something better than hook up with DSR.

well, looks like this is going to happen. I just turned on ESPN's sportscenter and saw Paul Page talking in depth with an anchor about what implications it has for the countdown next year and the sponsors reaction to the move

HOLY CRAP!!!! THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT DRAG RACING ON SPORTSCENTER!!!! Have we entered into Bizzaro World?

Tobler was never anounced as a crew chief for Cory Mac. He was around in Sonoma and was asked to help out, but then after Sonoma, the deal with Griffin went sour, so they probably would have ended up hiring him, if it didn't. Well Cory has a chance to finish 07 off in a good way, coming over here to Australia and whipping everyones asses with his old pal Wes next month :)

However, I think if Cory wants to win a championship he should look elsewhere. Does anybody really think that he would be anything more than a test car, blocker, and diver for "The Sarge:rolleyes:"? I seem to recall that when Melanie was over there she kicked ass early in the season while "The Sarge:rolleyes:" struggled. At mid-season, all of a sudden Mel's car fell over and "The Sarge:rolleyes:" started kicking ass. There were many that stated they thought there was something fishey going on.

Dave

Sorry, Dave... but I think you are wrong on some of this and the rest just doesn't make any sense. At all.

Having been a part of DSR for 5 years, I can say that there has never been a time when the Funny cars have run anything but heads up. Ever. This year is the most obvious example of each team running for the Final Four and two making it at the expense of the 3rd. No car was deemed "more important" than any other car.

As for last year when Melanie started off strong and fell off... how many times have you seen that happen in fuel racing? As for Tony starting off slow and coming on strong... do you think they stole the magic dust from Melanie's car? Does it surprise you that Alan got it together at some point in the season... again? And why would you have Melanie's momentum roll off well before there was any hope of Tony showing signs of winning the Championship (which really didn't happen until there was one or two races left in the season? This conspiracy theory just doesn't hold water any way you look at it. The only "team orders" I ever heard was "Melanie, go out and beat Doug in the semi's at Pomona". And she did.

I would be surprised, as we all should, if anyone runs better than Tony, including Cory Mac. But it seems reasonable that CMac will step up and run better next year... probably having a great chance to win races. Who knows, maybe even the Championship. The support at DSR is great... for all teams. The three Funny cars finished 3,4 and 5 this year, 2 with a real chance to win the Championship until the 1st round in Las Vegas.

But if Tony has more points at the end of the year than CMac, it isn't a conspiracy. Alan Johnson tunes Tony's car. And Tony is a great driver. That is a tough combination for anyone to beat over 23 races.

Jim Jannard

Last edited:
To prevent another Countdown debacle in one more thread, I just pulled it Jim...

These are two separate issues. The countdown (good or bad) has nothing to do with Cory Mac's decision to go to DSR and what that means for his career. I am sure that Cory will be treated well at DSR and will be given a top flight car to race.

Jim

These are two separate issues. The countdown (good or bad) has nothing to do with Cory Mac's decision to go to DSR and what that means for his career. I am sure that Cory will be treated well at DSR and will be given a top flight car to race.

Jim

Nobody doubts that CMac will get treated like the pro he is over at DSR, and his ride will be first rate. And understandable, Cory is driving for DSR because he loves to drive and is one of our great drivers. And I'm also sure that when it comes down to it, all the right business decisions will be made at DSR regarding the Countdown and where their focus will be twords winning the championship when the two cars line up against each other after Indy.

If the implication is that if Cory and Tony are both in contention for the Championship, Cory will be asked to lay over if they meet on Sunday? The answer is "NOT". That is the real point here, right?

Jim

I've known Cory for years, he is NOT a laydown person. Based on what we've seen for the last two seasons -- do we really think Tony needs someone to lay down for him?

Well here we go again, the first thing that SOME people are saying is it won't work, he won't get the first rate tune-up or he will have to lay down for Tony....

GET OVER IT!!!!!! What the hell is wrong with you people?? It is always he can't or they won't or he will dive.... Maybe just maybe he will get equivilant equipment and the style of tune and he will not have to dive. If I had to trust the word of someone one from this board about all the stuff I am hearing I would believe Jim J as he has no reason to lie and besides he has proven to be a stand up guy.

So if it makes you happy to imagine the worse BEFORE the deal is even complete go ahead but I prefer to just wish CoryMac well and wait and see what the facts are before I rush to judgement.

Of course this is just one man's opinon.

jim

Capps and Scelzi were both in the Countdown. Does anyone think one tanked in favor of the other?
I don't think so.

Now, if either one had WON the championship, the keyboards would have been humming, eh?

Success is a b**ch!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back