College Football....it's almost that time.... (1 Viewer)

Watching the Texas-Bama game right now--at halftime. Am I the only one, or does it seem like anyone else that the announcers (Musberger and "Herbie") are just a wee bit pro-Bama???? Just a thought....I don't have a dog in the fight...just seemed like they were fawning on Bama a little bit too much....

Once again the SEC reigns superior. Hats off to Texas--they played a great game in the face of adversity after losing McCoy. They could have mailed it in at the half, but their defense rose to the occasion in support of the young quarterback. McCoy must have talked to the receivers after the first half--they made Gilbert look bad with some of the balls that should have been caught. They really picked it up in the second half and made a game out of it. I thought Gilbert did a teriffic job--imagine being a freshman and thrust into the spotlight like he was. Last night will move him way ahead of the curve for next season when he takes over for McCoy. And as for Colt McCoy, what a class act. Here's to wishing him a long and successful career at the next level. Texas really made a game of it (and I had a flashback to 1969--the big shootout--and having my first heartbreak at 14) but the Bama defense just proved too tough. ROLL TIDE!!!!! Just heard the news this morning that Ryan Mallett will come back next year and hopefully lead my Hogs to the promised land. Now if we could just get Bama moved to the eastern division.......;)

Watching the Texas-Bama game right now--at halftime. Am I the only one, or does it seem like anyone else that the announcers (Musberger and "Herbie") are just a wee bit pro-Bama???? Just a thought....I don't have a dog in the fight...just seemed like they were fawning on Bama a little bit too much....

Could be the ZILLION dollars ABC spent on the SEC package for the next century.:rolleyes:

Well the game didnt go quite as I hoped it would...I also didnt think Colt would sell out his teamates like he did. Biggest game of his career and he flakes out! If he was ok to be clapping and patting everyone on the back, then he must have been ok. This loss is on his shoulders as Texas' gameplan completely changed afterwards. Nuthin but a chump!:mad:

I wouldn't go that far, Tim..didn't pat anybody with his right side. Kept pulling on the left side of his shoulder pad all night..which raises the right to relieve pressure. I sure can't see him not wanting to be a part of it.

Texas did themselves proud, Man..and Colt wouldn't have passed this one up would he?

After the game he said the arm didn't hurt but that he actually couldn't feel anything...which was a bad move. I bet draft scout moved him down the board a few notches fearing nerve issues.

Wish he would have been able to play. With them getting close without him I wonder how much they would have won by with him

My uncle came back from the game yesterday (he flew a group out to the game) and was talking to the guys on the flightline at Atlantic Aviation and they said Colt came in on a private jet about an hour before....cant play with the team and cant ride home with them either I guess.:rolleyes:
Can anyone here tell my frustration with him?;)

My uncle came back from the game yesterday (he flew a group out to the game) and was talking to the guys on the flightline at Atlantic Aviation and they said Colt came in on a private jet about an hour before....cant play with the team and cant ride home with them either I guess.:rolleyes:
Can anyone here tell my frustration with him?;)

Hmmm...frustration? Naaahhhh, I don't see any of that!:D Kinda too bad that if he WAS gonna get hurt, he didn't do it in the Big 12 Champ game...If Nebraska could have managed to win that one, it would have been great to see the chaos it would have caused for the BCS system! At least we did manage to end up in the top 15 this year. We've got a long way to go still, but I do think Big Red is on the way back.

After the game he said the arm didn't hurt but that he actually couldn't feel anything...which was a bad move. I bet draft scout moved him down the board a few notches fearing nerve issues.

Wish he would have been able to play. With them getting close without him I wonder how much they would have won by with him

If you remember, they failed to get into the end zone on their first series WITH him from inside the 3 yard line. Him being out changed Texas' game plan, but trust me it also changed the Bama game plan. Doubt Saban would have gone into conservative mode.

If you remember, they failed to get into the end zone on their first series WITH him from inside the 3 yard line. Him being out changed Texas' game plan, but trust me it also changed the Bama game plan. Doubt Saban would have gone into conservative mode.

Yes, but he only played 5 plays on that drive and Gilbert came in to finish off the drive which I believe was 6 more plays. Texas DID score a touchdown, but was called on a penalty and had to settle on a field goal.

Well the game didnt go quite as I hoped it would...I also didnt think Colt would sell out his teamates like he did. Biggest game of his career and he flakes out! If he was ok to be clapping and patting everyone on the back, then he must have been ok. This loss is on his shoulders as Texas' gameplan completely changed afterwards. Nuthin but a chump!:mad:

I agree with you, but I think Daddy called the shot on the decision not to play. Did he do it in the best interest in his Son, or because he is living through his Son?

Even if he fails in the NFL, he will more than likely be set for life. Crazy stuff. If I were an NFL Exec, I'd have to question his heart.

Maybe a new twist on the Heisman jinx. Last year's three finalist all came back and had years that ended differently than they hoped.....

I agree with you, but I think Daddy called the shot on the decision not to play. Did he do it in the best interest in his Son, or because he is living through his Son?

Even if he fails in the NFL, he will more than likely be set for life. Crazy stuff. If I were an NFL Exec, I'd have to question his heart.

No doubt that his dad made the call for him...never let a parent into the lockeroom during the game. When they said "he's looking out for his NFL future" we all knew that his dad made THAT call!

You've got to be joking. Colt's arm was dead... dead as in he had no idea which way the ball was going. He couldn't accurately throw it 10 feet in the locker room... what the hell good could he have been in the game?

You're questioning Colt's heart? Have you not been watching college football for the last 4 years? He got absolutely pounded during his sophomore year including suffering at least two concussions that I can recall. He's also been Texas' leading rusher for 2 of the 4 seasons he played... you tend to get hit a lot when run the football out of the qb spot. That kid is one of the best college football has seen in recent years, with the unenviable task of following a TX legend (Vince Young), not to mention he's the winningest quarterback EVER and did it in a pretty tough conference to boot. I can only assume that your perception of him is somewhat tilted since you don't get a daily dose of Big 12 in your neck of the woods but I guarantee that you are way off base with this one.

Boomer Sooner!

P.S. - Please don't tell my friends I'm defending a Longhorn.. I've got a reputation to protect. :D

You've got to be joking. Colt's arm was dead... dead as in he had no idea which way the ball was going. He couldn't accurately throw it 10 feet in the locker room... what the hell good could he have been in the game?

You're questioning Colt's heart? Have you not been watching college football for the last 4 years? He got absolutely pounded during his sophomore year including suffering at least two concussions that I can recall. He's also been Texas' leading rusher for 2 of the 4 seasons he played... you tend to get hit a lot when run the football out of the qb spot. That kid is one of the best college football has seen in recent years, with the unenviable task of following a TX legend (Vince Young), not to mention he's the winningest quarterback EVER and did it in a pretty tough conference to boot. I can only assume that your perception of him is somewhat tilted since you don't get a daily dose of Big 12 in your neck of the woods but I guarantee that you are way off base with this one.

Boomer Sooner!

P.S. - Please don't tell my friends I'm defending a Longhorn.. I've got a reputation to protect. :D

Well said. I couldn't give a da*n less if UT ever won another game--would be just as happy if they didnt, but to question this kid is just wrong. He doesnt have to prove to anybody that he has the "heart" to get the job done. He has proved it over and over. He may or may not make it at the next level, but he has proved more than worthy in the college game.

No doubt that his dad made the call for him...never let a parent into the lockeroom during the game. When they said "he's looking out for his NFL future" we all knew that his dad made THAT call!

And exactly why in the hell should he risk that future for a bunch of fans that would line up to throw him under the bus in a heartbeat ????? What would all you critics do if it was YOUR son ????

Tom,

I more than keep up with the Big 8 ;) as I spent the first 25 or so years of my life in Kansas!

I don't care what he did in League play. The true greats are measured by what they did in the big games. Dan Marino and Fran Tarkenton are forever known as the guys that couldn't get it done. It's just the way it is. Not knocking his GREAT College career by any means.

I don't know where you are getting the info about McCoy not being able to throw the ball in the lockerroom, because I haven't seen anything like that published. Besides, who tests their throwing ability in a lockerroom? If he had done it on the sideline, for the whole Nation to see, then I'd believe it. I don't. Nor do I believe that if his meddling Daddy hadn't made the decision for him, he wouldn't have been back in that game. Meddling parents of athletes are the worst. Eric Lindros, Todd Marinovich and even Adam James come to mind off the top of my head. I absolutely believe Leach when he says he spent more time appeasing Craig James, than he did the rest of the teams parents combined. Parents of youth athletes are out of control. I am heavily involved with youth hockey here in Michigan, and I can tell you, the insanity is well, insane. Colt McCoy is a grown man, and no longer a "youth". If he wanted to go back in that game, he should have. I have no doubt that had he gone back in and felt he wasn't giving his team the best chance to win, he'd have been smart enough to come back out. He was not afforded that opportunity, and I don't care what anyone says, his interview after the game was gut wrenching proof that he will regret it for a long time.

I do not question Colt McCoy's ability. There is no doubt he is a good one, and I hope he has great success at the next level. I hope he can finally win a big one, because whether we like it or not, or agree with it, he will forever be remembered as the guy that didn't finish for his team.

Last but not least Tom, just keep supporting that Big 12! We won't tell anybody you were defending Texas!

Mike, if any of this came off as sounding like I am throwing McCoy under the bus, I apologize. I am actually throwing his Dad under the bus. No, I don't blame Daddy for looking out for his $on, but I'd much rather have heard that it was Colt's decision not to play. The report I heard was that Colt begged to go back in the game. Colt McCoy has been playing the game long enough to know if he could have continued.

Of course, maybe I am just being selfish because I wanted Texas and the Big 12 to take home the National Championship! :D Maybe I am way off base on this one. If I am, I'm sure you guys will let me know!

A guy from Austin called into sports radio 610 here in Houston 2 days after the game and this was his story.

He works for UT. He was in the locker room after they xrayed Colt. He said Colt threw about 10 to 12 passes with about 3 or 4 being good, 3 or 4 being ok, and about 3 or 4 being awful and no where close. He said Colt was begging to go back in the game. They asked him how his arm felt and he said it didnt hurt b/c he couldnt feel it at all but wanted back in the game.

The head trainer called Mack on the sidelines and told him Colt wants to come back in and play. He said Mack told them to go get Colt's Dad outta the stands. (if you remember, even in the 2nd quarter they showed Colts parents still sitting in the stands. He didnt go until Mack told them to go get him.)

Once his dad got there, Alabama scored on that ridiculous bumbled shovel pass to go up 24 to 6 at half. He said Colt was still campaigning to get back in the game. He said thats what he'd worked for for 4 years, and it didnt mean anything if he couldnt get out there. Once Bama scored on that play to go up 24 to 6, Colts dad said no. You need to stay outta the game. More than likely yall cant come back now anyways and theres no reason to get yourself hurt more. Your not even sure exactly how hurt you are. I think your better suiting staying where you are. you have a milion reasons to do so Colt.

Now I dont know how true that is, it any of it is true, but thats what the guy said. Supposedly he was there. I dont know but I can def. see that conversation going like that. And I'll be honest. I dont see how you can question Colt's drive when you could plainly see after the game he was heartbroken he couldnt play.

As for his dad, I cant say I blame him. If it were my son, I'd probably say the same thing. And I also applaud Mack Brown for handling the situation with the utmost respect and class that he is. Alot of coaches would be sending a wounded player back out there at all cost, especially in the National championship.

A little like Tom, being a native Arkansas, I am sworn to hate UT with a passion. Although we are not in the same conference anymore, that hatred of the burnt orange is still there, as it is with most Razorback fans. That being said, I must admit that the whole situation made me appreciate Mack Brown that much more. I have always thought he was a class act, as is Colt McCoy. I would have no doubt were it left up to McCoy, he probably would have returned to the game---and also that a sleezy coach might have put him back in. My son was a walk on defensive back at the University of Arkansas in the middle nineties. He was redshirted his freshman year, but yet practiced good enough to make the traveling team. One of the assistant coaches told us he would probably never start, but would make an excellent special teams player. In spring practice the next year, he broke his back making a tackle. Trust me--getting a phone call that your son has been injured and is in the hospital is beyond your worst nightmare. Fortunately after evaluation, he had "only" a couple of cracked vertebrae (and a bad back to this day). The team doctor told us later that he would clear him to play, but that if it were his son, he would tell him no. He told us had he not had an extremely strong upper body, he would have broken his neck----and probably spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. His mother and I were faced with an agonizing decision---rob him of his dream to play college football, or save him from further injury. The selfish side of me that loved the free tickets and bragging rights of having a son playing for the Razorbacks was at last trumped by the side of me that loved him (it was a no brainer for his Mom, as you could probably imagine). By pulling the purse strings (works like a charm for unemployed 20 year old athletes) we pursuaded him to end his playing career. I still sometimes second guess my decision, but know in my heart of hearts, it was probably for his best. Part of my reasoning to him was that the program was down, and him getting hurt was not worth it. That makes me think that if it came down like it appears, Colt McCoy's dad had a real tough decision. His team wasn't down--they were in the title game. But a father's love for his son is greater than any crystal football. Give the man the benefit of the doubt--he did the right thing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back