College Football....it's almost that time.... (1 Viewer)

Thanks Tom. I stand corrected.

That first link is a good read. I have no doubt that Gilbert is going to provide some fireworks himself over the next few years.

Nerve issues in the shoulder. Dang. Goes to show you, just because it doesn't look like that bad of a hit on tv, it can be.

What do you guys think of the Kiffin hire at USC?

I think it is a mistake. I am not at all sold on this guy.

Why in the heck would he leave Tennessee after one year? He had the opportunity to be an icon if he turns that program back into a power. If he fails at USC, he'll be lucky to get another Head Coaching job, anywhere.

USC hired Kiffin? They must've ponied up some serious dough to buy out the remainder of his Tennessee contract. Seems like a bizarre hire to me but we'll see how it works out I suppose.

USC hired Kiffin? They must've ponied up some serious dough to buy out the remainder of his Tennessee contract. Seems like a bizarre hire to me but we'll see how it works out I suppose.

As a competitor in the SEC East ... glad he is gone. GO BIG BLUE.

As a fan, somewhat shocked at what these guys and schools are able to get away with though it seems to be de riguer in the SEC (see: Saban, Nick and Petrino, Bobby), and amazed that someone who has done so little has parlayed it into so much like Kiffin has. I am still not entirely sure the guy can coach at a high and consistent level and he is at one of the best 10 jobs in the NCAA. Daddy's defense will keep him close for the time being ...

As a competitor in the SEC East ... glad he is gone. GO BIG BLUE.

As a fan, somewhat shocked at what these guys and schools are able to get away with though it seems to be de riguer in the SEC (see: Saban, Nick and Petrino, Bobby), and amazed that someone who has done so little has parlayed it into so much like Kiffin has. I am still not entirely sure the guy can coach at a high and consistent level and he is at one of the best 10 jobs in the NCAA. Daddy's defense will keep him close for the time being ...

A kid gets a free meal from the wrong person, and the NCAA comes down on the school. A coach can leave at a minute's notice if he gets offered more millions than he is already making, and thats OK. The players are basically slaves (yeah, I know, free tuition etc), the schools (at least the big ones) make millions off the program, and even assistant coaches are millionaires. Major college football and some basketball programs pay for womens tiddly winks and all the other title 9 bullsh%t programs that were forced on them. Like drag racing----money screws up everything.

And exactly why in the hell should he risk that future for a bunch of fans that would line up to throw him under the bus in a heartbeat ????? What would all you critics do if it was YOUR son ????

I'm throwing his dad under the bus. His dad saw dollar signs and said no. If Colt would have come back and AT LEAST tried to play...hand the ball off (dont know to who because Texas has no running game:p), but do SOMETHING! This was SO similar to his freshman year against Kansas State where he pinched a nerve in his neck and couldnt play anymore after the 1st drive and Jevan Sneed had to come in and finish the game...which Texas lost.
Yes, he has heart, but if it was you, wouldnt YOU want to at least try to play. I dont remember who posted earlier about him being the all-time win leader...not many people get the opportunity to start EVERY game as a red shirt freshman on. There are several other QBs, if given the chance to start every single game would have already broken that record...Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Tim Tebow etc...

I'm throwing his dad under the bus. His dad saw dollar signs and said no. If Colt would have come back and AT LEAST tried to play...hand the ball off (dont know to who because Texas has no running game:p), but do SOMETHING! This was SO similar to his freshman year against Kansas State where he pinched a nerve in his neck and couldnt play anymore after the 1st drive and Jevan Sneed had to come in and finish the game...which Texas lost.
Yes, he has heart, but if it was you, wouldnt YOU want to at least try to play. I dont remember who posted earlier about him being the all-time win leader...not many people get the opportunity to start EVERY game as a red shirt freshman on. There are several other QBs, if given the chance to start every single game would have already broken that record...Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Tim Tebow etc...
But there is something called a future, Tim. Good grief..he could go out there and be a hero and win a championship eh? And ruin his entire future!! But he has the future of a NFL QB. Use your head.

I'm not referencing the previous..but what if him not staying out eliminated all your chances that Colt did win? He was there..but between playing and have the potential of getting my assed kick. I'll go with the multi-million $ I'll earn by trying to stay healthy. Kind of selfish to think otherwise..AT THAT POINT. He proved he's capable.

first of Congrats to the Champs....Boise State nobody had more wins then them :)

I'm stunned at Lane going to USC. I can see Pete leaving, the house of cards will soon be falling with the ncaa sniffing around so to jump now makes sense. But Lane??? He's bumbleded so much behind the scenes at Tenn mskes me wonder how many missteps there will be now, especially with ncaa already questioning things

Did you not read the links I posted above for Vaughn?

Absolutely amazing to me that all the Texas fans just ASSUME that if McCoy had played the whole game, they would have won. How much of the Big 12 Title Game did Colt spend on the floor of Cowboy Stadium? Alabama's defense could corral Tim Tebow, and I believe they could have done the same to Colt McCoy.

But there is something called a future, Tim. Good grief..he could go out there and be a hero and win a championship eh? And ruin his entire future!! But he has the future of a NFL QB. Use your head.

I'm not referencing the previous..but what if him not staying out eliminated all your chances that Colt did win? He was there..but between playing and have the potential of getting my assed kick. I'll go with the multi-million $ I'll earn by trying to stay healthy. Kind of selfish to think otherwise..AT THAT POINT. He proved he's capable.

My point is that he DIDNT EVEN TRY....NOT ONE SINGLE PLAY. Sports radio shows (even the Longhorn network here in Austin) everywhere are saying that he didnt even try to call one more play (couldve handed off) instead he took himself out of the game. If he would have at least tried I wouldnt even be having to explain my feelings toward the situation because he AT LEAST TRIED!
And yes, I can understand he has his future to consider, but we are talking about ONE PLAY. My point...HE DIDNT EVEN TRY!!:rolleyes:
Even though Texas had the momentum in the early part of the game, Alabama is THE ELITE team in college football and my congrats go out to the Tide fans out there on the win!

Hey we got a win this week. They've been so far and few between under RipoffRod that we're just enjoying it.

Sad thing is this week we play the coach I wanted them to get instead of Rod (Brian Kelly)

Well, my faith in the 'Mater has been restored! We got the college football thread goin again! I hate to say it, but I think my Huskers are a bit overrated at this time....not to say I'm not pleased to be ranked in the top 10 again, but mediocre performances over two cupcakes don't have me convinced yet. We'll see this week at Washington if we can get both the Offense AND the Defense to show up at the same game....

Hey, PJ, I am surprised you (and Teri with an I and Dave M,) didn't give me some grief about the Huskers becoming conference mates with you guys:D Word up here in cornville is that the big 12 is now going to be called the Big Twen and the Big 10 is going to be called the Big Telve...or something like that.

Mr. Burgess, how's the Sooners looking this year to you? I thought they looked pretty stout in the second game...anyway, Hi to everybody on the College Football thread, and Go Huskers!!

We'll find out about my HAWKEYES this weekend at Arizona. very sound fundamentally, but man..you can't be conservative and let 'em hang around..which has been the Hawks MO in recent.

This is actually one of the more stout teams they've had since Hayden Fry's best years.

We'll see..good luck to all.

Oh..why did the first game of the year might be the best?? Boise..oh sh!t..I couldn't believe it.

We'll find out about my HAWKEYES this weekend at Arizona. very sound fundamentally, but man..you can't be conservative and let 'em hang around..which has been the Hawks MO in recent.

This is actually one of the more stout teams they've had since Hayden Fry's best years.

We'll see..good luck to all.

Oh..why did the first game of the year might be the best?? Boise..oh sh!t..I couldn't believe it.

David, I watched the Hawkeyes against the Cyclones and was very impressed--best of luck on a great season--Go Big 10! (man that sounds sooo weird)

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back