Charlotte press conference: 4 wide (2 Viewers)

Re: Charlotte press conference

Loosey,

You got some splaining to do ...

THE OPEN AND TRANSPARENT NHRA-PRO RELATIONSHIP?

in this particular instance why should nhra & bruton hold a meeting prior
to announcement so the racers will know?

they'll have the same % of whiners as here on this board.

4-wide is not asking the teams to spend more money - in fact the winner
of this format makes one less run.

as if a pro team would actually consider sitting this one out based on
the 4-wide format - they can think it's a gimick - think it's the greatest
thing since sliced bread - but the media that will surround this event
will be at least equal to or greater than any previous indy nats. event;
and unless you're privately funded, how can you pass on that?

I am curious about the first round pairings. Actually, I would like to see the whole bracket. :)

You can take this to the bank...............

The 4 Wide Nationals will be a HUGE success for NHRA and by this time next year Bruton will have 4 lanes in Vegas too. It's already set up for it!

DSC04681_JPG.jpg

I was at the 4 wide exhibition and it was great....as an exhibition. Not so sure I want to see the racing done like that. Things happened so fast it wasn't possible to watch all the cars. There is a lot of logistics that go into it as well. For an exhibiton everyone placed nice when the money is on the line I'm not so sure. I guess I'm willing to see how it goes but I have serious doubts.

My other question is how much cheaper will the tickets be with less passes being made. If baseball gets cut to 7 innings or football to 3 quarters I would expect a reduced ticket why not here.

Actually Bill I believe the next logical step is to run the strip right into the lake and have all in one combination T/F Hydro show. At least that is what I heard. How else will Firebird keep up?

Brainerd will now include the full road course, so first back to the trailer will be the winner... and so on.

Each track will have a different take in it. Gainesville will add the full swamp buggy course and the sippy hole...

Vegas will have a hold em poker tourney and race all in one.

Indy will have three events in one with the circle track laps included as part of the qualifying ladder... But Thursday before the event parking and tech start will kick off with the brickyard and the 30 lap for each class fully loaded tractor/trailer tow rig qualifier race with the top 32 going into the weekend. This will include all sportsman classes as well. Sure to be a big weekend! I am putting all my money on Kalitta for that deal.

That is what I heard...

hahahahahaha....I needed that laugh Jimmah! :D:D:D

I am curious about the first round pairings. Actually, I would like to see the whole bracket. :)

I figure the first round will be set up like a hypothetical first and second round pairing. 1 vs 16 in one pair and 8 vs 9 in the other. The bottom half should be 4 vs 13 and 5 vs 12 The other side of the ladder should be 2 vs 15 and 7 vs 10, with the bottom half being 3 vs 14 and 6 vs 11.

My biggest question is about how lane choice will be awarded. Obviously low e.t. gets first pick, but what happens if low e.t driver's next pairing has the 2nd quickest e.t.? Will they race side by side in lanes 1 & 2 (or 3 & 4) or will the 2nd quickest e.t. get second choice of the remaining three lanes? :confused:

First round- 4 races
Second round- 2 races
Third round- Decides first through fourth places in the race.

Less racing for the same ticket price. Very clever NHRA.
Howabout third round decides two who go to the final?

It'll be interesting to see, but I kinda like one on one.

I really do not know what to say or think about this . I am more worried then anything , as a guy who wants to oneday race in nhra competition I am really really worried about where things are going .

I really do not know what to say or think about this . I am more worried then anything , as a guy who wants to oneday race in nhra competition I am really really worried about where things are going .

just wondering, what are you worried about? Worried about NHRA being.....entertaining?

Don't read anything into this....just wondering what your concerns are as a younger viewer from a different country.

I could seriously allmost cry . I am 21 years old im not a racer but I dream to be . I follow the NHRA racing I have learnt about the history and watched alot of the old races on youtube and I am completely devoted to the sport nothing else matters . But the last couple of years the sport that I have grown to love is changing from the sport that I have read about and learnt about and loved . Its becoming all show . I think 4 wide is awesome for say a special event or an exhibition but to completely change the way a national event works . What makes NHRA great is the history behind it but I am really well I don't know what to say really . I am going to keep watching where the NHRA heads and goes but drag racing here in new zealand is still run the same way as the sport I have grown love so may just stay here .

I could seriously allmost cry . I am 21 years old im not a racer but I dream to be . I follow the NHRA racing I have learnt about the history and watched alot of the old races on youtube and I am completely devoted to the sport nothing else matters . But the last couple of years the sport that I have grown to love is changing from the sport that I have read about and learnt about and loved . Its becoming all show . I think 4 wide is awesome for say a special event or an exhibition but to completely change the way a national event works . What makes NHRA great is the history behind it but I am really well I don't know what to say really . I am going to keep watching where the NHRA heads and goes but drag racing here in new zealand is still run the same way as the sport I have grown love so may just stay here .

Your thinking is spot on. Having been to over 200 National events & countless other races it kills me to watch what this sport has become. Anyone who tells you things are fine at NHRA is living in a dream world. The present NHRA has alienated potential sponsors (exclusive deals), ignored escalating costs of Pro racing, changed the whole history of the sport (1000'), and you still get folks who want to tell you that NHRA has never been better. Live crowds at National events were as big in the 60's & 70's, and while the TV package is an improvement it is still MINOR league. Big time sports get paid to have their events telecast, they don't pay. Indy 2008 was my last NHRA National event as seeing the "Big Go" at 1000' was more than I can bear. I guess I'll just stick to Nostalgia events and drag boat shows. I'd rather watch 1 Top Fuel Hydro run it "out the backdoor" than 20 NHRA cars run 3/4 of the track.

Your thinking is spot on. Having been to over 200 National events & countless other races it kills me to watch what this sport has become. Anyone who tells you things are fine at NHRA is living in a dream world. The present NHRA has alienated potential sponsors (exclusive deals), ignored escalating costs of Pro racing, changed the whole history of the sport (1000'), and you still get folks who want to tell you that NHRA has never been better. Live crowds at National events were as big in the 60's & 70's, and while the TV package is an improvement it is still MINOR league. Big time sports get paid to have their events telecast, they don't pay. Indy 2008 was my last NHRA National event as seeing the "Big Go" at 1000' was more than I can bear. I guess I'll just stick to Nostalgia events and drag boat shows. I'd rather watch 1 Top Fuel Hydro run it "out the backdoor" than 20 NHRA cars run 3/4 of the track.

your nuts if you think drag boats are more entertaining, OH BTW Drag Boats are NOW also only running to 1000ft as of 2010

everybody complains about oildown delays try sitting thru towing broke down boats off the course is slower than a golf match

Last edited:

Whats wrong with drag boats? they are cool . But ofcourse its racing to me not a show and my mindset seems to becoming rarer and rarer .

Well I think it's great. As one that has not been pleased with nhra's choices the past few years, thats saying alot. They finally are stepin out of the box.

They proved 4-wide can be done last year. (nothin new, look back to the '60's). Including P/S cars & bikes is also great for the fans of those classes. I was hopeing they would do all 4 PRO classes.

The suprise was doin it for Qual. too. I didn't see that commin. Hats off nhra.

Folks, if ya want the sport to grow.............ya gotta grow the sport.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back