Charlotte press conference: 4 wide (1 Viewer)

Re: 4 Wide at zMax

So I saw the announcement on NHRA's site and read another article with competitionplus that PRO was not consulted on this event. Im trying to understand why this is such a big deal? In my opinion this is a huge move in the right direction as far as marketing our sport goes. Ron Capps said he was concerned with the safety of running 4 wide. I dont see any issues here. Anybody else?

I think the biggest concern would be that the Safety Safari is set up to take car of one maybe two incidents per pass. Is Bruton going to double or triple the safety crews, helicopters, fire trucks, jet dryers, and of coarse the amount of brooms for oil sweeping. It's just not that easy to line up 4 compared to 2. also think about issues such as all four cars being in sinc with burnouts, backing up and staging in order of fairness.

Re: Charlotte press conference

I think everyone needs to go back and look at when the sport was huge and doing well and there were no problems then try and figure out what happened and what changed .

William...Every sport has to evolve and change over time. For you to say, "just go back to what it was in the 60's" is just silly. Give me an example of when a very popular sport stayed the same for decades at a time and was still successful. Things need to constantly change to attract more fans, and I give this idea two thumbs up.

there have been some youtube videos with things like a water bottle shaking
on the bleachers when fuel cars launch...........
someone should follow up on this concept @ zmax this spring. :cool:

I think the biggest concern would be that the Safety Safari is set up to take car of one maybe two incidents per pass. Is Bruton going to double or triple the safety crews, helicopters, fire trucks, jet dryers, and of coarse the amount of brooms for oil sweeping. It's just not that easy to line up 4 compared to 2. also think about issues such as all four cars being in sinc with burnouts, backing up and staging in order of fairness.

That is basically what was done at the exhibition. Double/Double. One complete set on each side of the track.
They are going to do the same for the entire event.

Well if anyone has the capicity to double or triple the safety crews, it's Mr. Smith. (That's Bruton not you Mel!)
PRO should insist on that before firing a single engine.

So they need more workers. Does that mean higher ticket prices? I see the prices look about the same as last year, but is Burton going to shell out the extra cash year after year? Also how many other track owners have the cash to expand. It is kind or neet to see 4 lane racing but there aren't enough cars to keep the crowd entertained and every one knows when the fuel cars are done they leave the stands. If this ever gets off the ground it will be years to go nation wide, unless Burton's tracks are the only ones left, and I am not against Burton he has been great for drag racing and built the best tracks around vegas being my favorite.

Cool...I just am bummed out about the direction of NHRA drag racing. I'll look you up at the March Meet.

Hey Mark....I'm wondering something. You've been around for a while. I'll bet you even attended a few of those famous Fox hunts at OCIR back in the day.

Would you consider that time period.. let's say 72-81 a time when going to the races was pretty entertaining?

Just wondering....

I'm hoping the next big advancement for NHRA will be 8 wide for 800'. :rolleyes:

I don't see why this couldn't be done as a "Night Of Fire" type of event. Why do it as one of the NHRA National events? Do it all in one day. Start in the morning, and end it at night. 4 wide flames lighting up the night. No points involved. Award the winner big money. I could see this being a great show, as a "show".

I hardly paid attention last year, and I'll pay less attention this year. After being around this sport most of my 46 years, NHRA has pretty much alienated me.

I'd rather NHRA concentrate on doubling the participants, as opposed to doubling the lanes.

I can seem them utilizing all the lanes; but, still heads up and alternating them so as the race on pair 1 & 2 are finishing, lanes 3 & 4 are staging, etc. That would keep the format intact and decrease the downtime.

Hey Mark....I'm wondering something. You've been around for a while. I'll bet you even attended a few of those famous Fox hunts at OCIR back in the day.

Would you consider that time period.. let's say 72-81 a time when going to the races was pretty entertaining?

Just wondering....

I would. Especially when the Blue Angels were performing at El Toro Marine Corp. Base.

That time bottle has been recreated at the March Meet, Drag Fest, and at both reunions. These are some of the most successful events in drag racing today and they continue to grow. The Famoso group is shooting for a 32 car Funny Car field at this upcoming March Meet. Not to mention an 8 car RED T/F (cir. 1970's), FED Top Fuel, A/Fuel, AA/GS, 7.0 Pro, Gassers ;), an Nostalgia Eliminators too.:cool:

Drag Fest will have nostalgia F/C, AA/FA, and all other sportsman classes.

Mooseman get yourself here to California for either one of these events. I garantee it would be the trip of a lifetime.

Gino Ofria
A/GS 3638
VHS Racing

So I saw the announcement on NHRA's site and read another article with competitionplus that PRO was not consulted on this event. Im trying to understand why this is such a big deal? In my opinion this is a huge move in the right direction as far as marketing our sport goes. Ron Capps said he was concerned with the safety of running 4 wide. I dont see any issues here. Anybody else?

Brian, yer right, it's no more dangerous then running two cars at a time.
There seems to be some confusion here.
z-MAX is not, I repete NOT a 4 lane drag strip.
It is TWO, (twin) 2-lane drag strips side by side.

40 years ago it WAS 4-lanes side by side. Nothing but air between lanes 1 and 4.
Today it's 1 and two, then a wall THEN 3 and 4. So no more chance of cars gettin together then we have now. So it's safer now then back in the day.

4-wide is new to nhra, but not to dragracing. Some Cal. tracks had it and at least one mid-west track I know of. Sit back and enjoy folks.

to much to concentrate on.to much of a chance of missing "something"on a run with 4 cars--imho

nascar fans can watch 40 cars for several hours. I think drag fans can keep track of 4 cars for 4 secounds. Lets give it a try, I bet you like it. ;);)

Rumor has it from reliable sources in the Schumacher org. that Antron Brown has landed the National Guard sponsorship for the 2010 NHRA Full Throttle series.

The quote was," It's a done deal"! Congratulations, Antron.

Possible debut at the Zmax in March

I would. Especially when the Blue Angels were performing at El Toro Marine Corp. Base.

That time bottle has been recreated at the March Meet, Drag Fest, and at both reunions. These are some of the most successful events in drag racing today and they continue to grow. The Famoso group is shooting for a 32 car Funny Car field at this upcoming March Meet. Not to mention an 8 car RED T/F (cir. 1970's), FED Top Fuel, A/Fuel, AA/GS, 7.0 Pro, Gassers ;), an Nostalgia Eliminators too.:cool:

Drag Fest will have nostalgia F/C, AA/FA, and all other sportsman classes.

Mooseman get yourself here to California for either one of these events. I garantee it would be the trip of a lifetime.

Gino Ofria
A/GS 3638
VHS Racing

So...we have a taker.. Cool

Hey Gino:

At these awesome events at OCIR you spoke of, was it ENTERTAINING? And what about those events do you think brought in the fans? Was it the quantity of the cars? The names racing? What was ENTERTAINING about those awesome events..

btw: I agree with you, just like to get you to expand on why you went to those races and what entertained you about it.

Rumor has it from reliable sources in the Schumacher org. that Antron Brown has landed the National Guard sponsorship for the 2010 NHRA Full Throttle series.

The quote was," It's a done deal"! Congratulations, Antron.

Possible debut at the Zmax in March

So Army and National Guard in the same organization...? what's next Valvoline and Penzoil? NAPA and O'REILLY?

Ok, My opinion: Its sounds like a good idea if all the safety crews are capable of handling the additional load. BUT If we are going this route then it should not be changed until it is the standard for ALL National Event tracks. You don't just change the standard because you can at one or two venues. If you are going to change it you cahnge it for all. (Ie: 1000 ft rule) there are plenty of tracks that were capable of running 1/4 but we changed them all. If the "New Drag Racing" is 4 lanes. So be it. but wait until ALL can do it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back