Charlotte press conference: 4 wide (1 Viewer)

I think they screwed up the ladder, unless they are counting the the sets separate...

just by carrying out the thinking that each set of 4 has two winner in rd 1 and rd 2... then rd 1 one ladder Should and must be

Top Half
# 1 vs #16 Vs #15 vs # 14 two winner

#3 vs #10 vs #9 vs #8 two winners

Bottom Half

#2 vs #13 vs #12 vs #11 two winners

#4 vs #7 vs #6 vs #5 two winners

Jeff Foster, please tell me how i am wrong

d'kid

Why wouldn't it be the same as the ladders are set up now:

1 v 16, 8, 9 two winners

4 v 13, 5, 12 two winners

2 v 15, 7, 10 two winners

3 v 14, 6, 11 two winners

I'm guessing that the 4 winners from the top two groups will be in the second round together and the 4 winners from the bottom two will be together in the second round which appears to be the way you have it as well.

Last edited:
I said two winners, but that is not true.
Each 4 pack has a winner and runner up (1st loser)

Round 2 is One Four Pack and the Points part of the race IS DONE...

points 12 @ 20 each plus qual. points 1st rd loser
2 @ 40 each plus qual. points semi loser
R/U 1 @ 60 points plus qual. points
winner 1 @ 80 points plus qual. points

plus performance bonus points (record runs)

d'kid

Why wouldn't it be the same as the ladders are set up now:

1 v 16, 8, 9 two winners

4 v 13, 5, 12 two winners

2 v 15, 7, 10 two winners

3 v 14, 6, 11 two winners

I'm guessing that the 4 winners from the top two groups will be in the second round together and the 4 winners from the bottom two will be together in the second round which appears to be the way you have it as well.

Because it ONE four car RACE not 2 two car races ran together... so number 1 qual get the 3 slowest cars... number 2 qual gets the next three slowest, ect...

d'kid

I find it so funny when you guys call your tracks dumps , you guys are spoilt with the tracks you guys have you have no idea how lucky you guys are . What do you guys want , 5 star restaurants where you sit and watch and waiters that wait on you and toilets that clean your own butt .

I am a Nascar to NHRA convert.Nascar tracks that put people in the stands and put money back into the track property are the ones that have races at this point. North Wilkesboro is a prime example . They didnt grow with the times.I know how lucky I and others around me are to have both Bristol and Zmax within 1 hr or so. I know I am very lucky after going to the US Nationals,Atlanta races many times and Gaineville. I dont expect much,I just want the to be proactive not reactive. Reinvest in your properties and not hoard all the money .

i think brian's got the ladders correct.
qual. positions 1 thru 8 have to have a chance to all advance
either winning or runner-up in first round.
can't put more than (2) top 8 cars in each first round foursome;
also must have 1,2,3,& 4 in four separtate 1st rnd. foursomes.

Last edited:
Question regarding staging:

The crew chiefs sometimes start their cars (at the starting line) at different times due to their set up. 4 cars might really foul this up.

Regarding the staging time-out (7 sec). Car 1 stages, car 2 takes 6.9 secs to stage. Then car 3 takes 6.9 to stage. Then car 4 takes 6.9 secs to stage. Now the first car has been sitting there, ready to go, for almost 21 secs.

Also, the drivers will have to be watching 2 trees to see when the other cars have staged. Does the 7 sec time-out start when the first car stages or the 3rd car? If it's the 3rd car, can cars 2 and 3 take 10, 20, 30 secs to stage knowing that they won't be timed-out?

i think brian's got the ladders correct.
qual. positions 1 thru 8 have to have a chance to all advance
either winning or runner-up in first round.
can't put more than (2) top 8 cars in each first round foursome;
also must have 1,2,3,& 4 in four separtate 1st rnd. foursomes.

you also can't have more than 1 winner in a race, so round two will have to be the finals as far as points...

Brian has the ladder the way nhra has them drawn out, which is based on 8 1 on 1 matches... That is not what we are dealing with... We are NOT dealing with 8 first round races, only 4, so spot 5 through 16 at this race are no different than 9 to 16 at any other race, which is why #1 Should race the three slowest, number 2 the next three, number 3 the next, and #4 the balance... 4 racing 5, 6, 7 is no different from 8 racing 9 on a normal ladder... gives you even more reason to be qualified 1, 2, or 3...

Personally, I do not think this should be a points race, Losers should not get points for advancing, and as it is drawn out, four first round losers will earn point as if they won.

as per brian; works perfectly.
top 8 can all advance.

Mike, you only have ONE Winner, not TWO... I can't believe everyone is buying the Hype that someone that loses in round one, can go on and win the event and the points... once more, in 4 races in round one, there can only be 4 winners, but Smith and NHRA want everyone to believe 2 people can win the same round/race... 1 winner, 3 losers in each first round race... anything else makes the regular season long (pre-cut) points race meaningless...

and you can pair up round 1 however you want... I picked it the quickest car got the 3 slowest, 2nd quick got the next three, ect. because they are racing three cars, not one. At this point, it would make as much sense that the top 4 drivers draw their three out of a fish bowl, the drawn drivers get to choose lanes by their qualifying times

ie: in an 8 car show, 1 gets 8, 2 gets 7, 3 gets 6, 4 gets 5

y'all are buying this hook, line and sinker...
d'kid

Question regarding staging:

The crew chiefs sometimes start their cars (at the starting line) at different times due to their set up. 4 cars might really foul this up.

Regarding the staging time-out (7 sec). Car 1 stages, car 2 takes 6.9 secs to stage. Then car 3 takes 6.9 to stage. Then car 4 takes 6.9 secs to stage. Now the first car has been sitting there, ready to go, for almost 21 secs.

Also, the drivers will have to be watching 2 trees to see when the other cars have staged. Does the 7 sec time-out start when the first car stages or the 3rd car? If it's the 3rd car, can cars 2 and 3 take 10, 20, 30 secs to stage knowing that they won't be timed-out?

Didn't you see how it was done in September? It worked out just fine with what they did. I'd imagine they would do the same thing.

Didn't you see how it was done in September? It worked out just fine with what they did. I'd imagine they would do the same thing.

Don't forget that in Sept was all for show. Everyone was playing nice. During a race I don't know that it would always go so nicely. How many times have we heard nitro teams get riled up for thinking someone hung them out on the line? No we dramatically increase the chances of that happening. If the 4 wide doesn't get the attention then maybe the brawl afterwards will :)

So Army and National Guard in the same organization...? what's next Valvoline and Penzoil? NAPA and O'REILLY?
The national Guard has 2 divisions: Army Guard and Air Guard. When a National Guard solder of airman is "activated" (meaning called to duty) they go either regular Army or Air Force. I served my country in the Army Guard- ready to go whenever-if ever!

Somebody please wake me up....I'm having a nightmare ! When did 1320 , 2 car, side by side become a 1000 ft, Countdown, 4 lane freak show ? Most of you on here are insiders ....but take it from a fan from the late 60's... this is crap ! Wally Parks is spinning in his grave....his NHRA has become Wallyworld !

Don't forget that in Sept was all for show. Everyone was playing nice. During a race I don't know that it would always go so nicely. How many times have we heard nitro teams get riled up for thinking someone hung them out on the line? No we dramatically increase the chances of that happening. If the 4 wide doesn't get the attention then maybe the brawl afterwards will :)

I don't think it will be that big of a deal. They fire the cars relative to how long their "to stage" time is (longest goes first etc.). Then the crew chiefs look them in to the staging beams. Everyone can see when first bulb is lit and has 7 seconds after first car has lit second bulb. :)

you also can't have more than 1 winner in a race, so round two will have to be the finals as far as points...

I think the points will be basic. The eight cars that advance after the first round will gain 20 points. The four cars that advance after the second round will gain an additional 20 points. In the final, the winner will get an additional 40 points and the runner-up an additional 20 points. At the end of the day, the points will fall exactly as at a regular points race.

I don't think it will be that big of a deal. They fire the cars relative to how long their "to stage" time is (longest goes first etc.). Then the crew chiefs look them in to the staging beams. Everyone can see when first bulb is lit and has 7 seconds after first car has lit second bulb. :)

Now the drivers will have to watch 2 trees. This might be OK for one race but it will be the teams who decide if it works out or not. I think this is just too many cars on the line at the same time. This isn't NASCAR.

Now the drivers will have to watch 2 trees. This might be OK for one race but it will be the teams who decide if it works out or not. I think this is just too many cars on the line at the same time. This isn't NASCAR.

Well,

Seeing as NASCAR is a lot bigger than our sport, maybe we should start learning from them. I think this is a very big, positive step. Who knows, this could be a success and somewhere down the road maybe, just maybe we could get the eliminations live on tv. That right there would be huge. And if nothing else, this event will give attention to our sport and maybe some of NASCAR's sponsors will take notice:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back