Charlotte press conference: 4 wide (1 Viewer)

Just add four left turns and it will soon be NASCAR. (At over 300 mph that ought to be good for ratings!)

Countdown, COT, driver brawls and country music.

How much more like NASCAR do you want it?

Pardon me while I puke at the thought of more NASCAR influence.

Last edited:
I think the points will be basic. The eight cars that advance after the first round will gain 20 points. The four cars that advance after the second round will gain an additional 20 points. In the final, the winner will get an additional 40 points and the runner-up an additional 20 points. At the end of the day, the points will fall exactly as at a regular points race.

just so we are all singing on the same page... the first two cars across the the finish line at the daytona 500 are co-winners, the first two cars across the line at the indy 500 are co-winners... the first two cars across the line at the world 600 or whatever smith calls it nowadays are co-winners...

why do we have co-winners in round one, and round two, but not in the finals? changing the rule in the same race?

d'kid

Well,

Seeing as NASCAR is a lot bigger than our sport, maybe we should start learning from them. I think this is a very big, positive step. Who knows, this could be a success and somewhere down the road maybe, just maybe we could get the eliminations live on tv. That right there would be huge. And if nothing else, this event will give attention to our sport and maybe some of NASCAR's sponsors will take notice:eek:

We have it with this race if...
Only Winners advance from round one, and Round two is the Finals... five races per pro class, fifteen races total, twenty if you run bikes... two hours or two and a half tops...

d'kid

You guys are over thinking the 4 cars starting at once. When all the cars are pre staged, the extra light they add above the tree will light up telling the drivers all 4 cars are pre staged. When the first car rolls in to stage, the 7 second or whatever timer will start for all lanes. It's not that hard.

Somebody please wake me up....I'm having a nightmare ! When did 1320 , 2 car, side by side become a 1000 ft, Countdown, 4 lane freak show ?

Soon after it was taken over by an ex-pet food salesman and a bunch of geek marketers who probably never watched a drag race from bleachers in their lives, Mike.

I’ve been going through this thread in order, so I hope no one minds if I respond to specific posts as they appear, even if they’re “answered” later in the thread.

Dan Becker: You weren’t the only one confused by the announcement. While it may have put the basic information out there, there were significant holes in the press release, and no real explanation of how things will work. For example, does this mean that each driver gets one shot at each lane?

Bruce Mullins: Bruton is now THE major force in NHRA drag racing. He owns enough tracks to start his own organization, and NHRA management knows it, and therefore is more than willing to listen to his concepts.

Bill Sweeney: This appears to have been Bruton’s idea, not NHRA’s.

Al Cacioppo: Al, you’re right in that this event will draw attention, and it may spill over to other races, but there’s a problem. If the four-lane deal “works,” it can’t be duplicated at any other facility, so it could become a negative in the sense of someone seeing the four-lane race on TV and being exited by it, and then not being able to see similar racing anywhere else.

Erica Ortiz: Smart girl!

Billy Weeks: You raise a very interesting point. Drag racing has been ”sold” to sponsors on the basis of there being only two cars on the track at one time, so the TV people have only two to choose from, thereby almost guaranteeing good exposure for even the sponsor of the losing car in a race. With four?

Gino Ofria: While we may not like it my sense is that a return to full quarter mile racing is unlikely. The drivers have largely indicated they prefer the shorter track from the safety perspective, and there’s been no movement in terms of slowing the cars down and returning to the traditional length. Too bad.

Bobby Bennett: (Full disclosure: I am a Senior Editor for CompetitionPlus.com) Bobby's report is accurate – the PRO did not know about this in advance, and regardless of the merits of the four-wide race, this is not going to do anything positive for the relationship between the racers and NHRA. However, since NHRA obviously realizes the racers are unable to unify on any major issue, my guess is they figured to go ahead with the four-wide race and face the complaints later.

Lance Peltier: I completely agree, as LVMS was always planned as a four-lane track. If it works in Charlotte we’ll see it in Vegas.

Mark Krogen: The early estimates are for a 3:30 completion time. That came from inside NHRA, by the way.

Mark Beauchamp: Mark, it’s not less racing in the truest sense, as you will see the same number of competitors in eliminations.

William Payne: William, don’t give up on your dream. Every form of sports, including drag racing, evolves and changes over time. Who is to say, at this point, that four-wide racing won’t work? For all we know, it could elevate drag racing’s reach to a much larger audience.

Mark Westfall: Mark, much of what you say is true, and as someone who’s been going to the races since the late 50s, a lot of what goes on now is painful, so I share your pain. But at the same time I’m willing to see if this works before I turn my back on the endeavor that’s brought me a lot of enjoyment over the years.

Bill Huseth: Success will be determined by attendance, TV numbers, racer comments and willingness to do it again, and by what the media says. What NHRA management says will not be the determining factor.

Paul Sapienza: NHRA has always believed that live TV is a must for the sport to succeed, and this could be the way towards making it happen in a viable manner.

Mark Westfall: I think the single, main reason you don’t hear a buzz after good 1,000 foot runs is because not only do most fans not understand what a good 1,000 run is, NHRA has done, in my opinion, a very poor job of educating the fans as to what constitutes a good run.

Gino Ofria: “…there were no superstars back then.” Wow! So how would you list operations like the Pat Minick-driven Chi-Town Huslter? Raymond Beadle’s Blue Max? Barry Setzer’s Vega with Pat Foster driving? Pisano & Matsubara? Don Schumacher? And obviously, dozens of others.

Jason Laimonis: I seem to remember everyone saying that about the first AFL vs. NFL championship game. You know, what we call the Super Bowl now….

Chris Wilson: Chris, half of the people on Nitromater who are constantly bemoaning the state of NHRA racing place the blame for the way things are now squarely on NHRA’s proclivity for following NASCAR. Where do you think the whole Countdown concept came from, thin air? But you’re right about live TV. It may not matter to some of us, but it does to many in the corporate community, who relate live TV to an event’s importance, i.e., if it’s not important enough to be live, it’s not important at all.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

However, since NHRA obviously realizes the racers are unable to unify on any major issue, my guess is they figured to go ahead with the four-wide race and face the complaints later...........

when you have a multi-palace/facility owner who.....
a) builds a 4-lane facility
b) promotes nhra and request 2nd date for same facility
c) has had great success in nascar arena
d) understands espn/tv/media

why even stop and ask the players?, just get it done. it mite flop,
and it mite not, but it's on the schedule for an early race and i say
congrats to bruton and nhra for getting this done.

......It may not matter to some of us, but it does to many in the corporate community, who relate live TV to an event’s importance, i.e., if it’s not important enough to be live, it’s not important at all......

see above.

I’ve been going through this thread in order, so I hope no one minds if I respond to specific posts as they appear, even if they’re “answered” later in the thread.

Billy Weeks: You raise a very interesting point. Drag racing has been ”sold” to sponsors on the basis of there being only two cars on the track at one time, so the TV people have only two to choose from, thereby almost guaranteeing good exposure for even the sponsor of the losing car in a race. With four?

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Glad you get my concerns Jon....lol.. i've talked to seveeral potential sponsor for the Concord event an the tv time was always an issue. they have been use to seeing cup cars on tv for hours on end.... drag racing is different for sure.. for this one race its even more different ..specialy for a event sponsorship on a car.....

Billy

MIKE LARSON: I agree with you. It might flop, but then again, it could be hugely successful, both at the gate and from the artistic standpoint.

PAUL SAPIENZA: It’s easy to say “why not,” but coming up with the money to do your suggested projects is another matter entirely. A lot of tracks are barely getting by these days and simply don’t have the funds to make the kind of investment adding additional lanes would require. Before making that investment the track would have to determine if they’d recoup that investment over the long term.

Let’s just say that adding another lane with all of the ancillary hardware, i.e., moving the lights back, adding the wiring for timers, figuring out how to make the finish line tote boards read out all four lanes, a new return road, additional staging lanes – whatever – will cost $2M. What’s the “return” on that investment? Will the race bring in an additional 5,000 people at, say, an average inside-the-park spend of $75 (including parking, etc.)? That’s only $375,000, and it’ll take six years to recoup the investment – IF every race works perfectly. How many existing facilities can afford to make that kind of investment?

JACK ISSI: Uh, yeah!

BILLY WEEKS: On the other side of the NASCAR thing is the fact that if “your” car isn’t contending for the lead, or isn’t stuffed into the wall, it may not appear on TV at all. In fact, one wonders how many Cup cars that finished outside the Top 15 got any “real” TV exposure at all in 2009.

Even with four cars running I’d like to think the possibility of positive TV exposure is greater than it might be for a Cup competitor.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com

Glad you get my concerns Jon....lol.. i've talked to seveeral potential sponsor for the Concord event an the tv time was always an issue. they have been use to seeing cup cars on tv for hours on end.... drag racing is different for sure.. for this one race its even more different ..specialy for a event sponsorship on a car.....

Billy
Look at how many different camera views were shown during last years 4 wide. There had to be 20 different camera angles on each race. There will be plenty of exposure for all cars.
YouTube - NHRA 4 wide funny car @ Zmax

JON : the reason I say "why not" is because we already have a track that can do it. WHY NOT use it? As far as other tracks adding two lanes, that up to the track owner.

IF this is successful I'm sure we'll see other tracks step up. Probably just a few. Don't forget, not all have the room even if they DO want to. One thing 4 sure...this is gonna be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

(Full disclosure: Jon Asher is a SENIOR EDITOR for Competitionplus.com where I am a senior writer but just a rookie in the grand scheme of things..):cool:

Thanks Asher.... But I have a question.

You have been there and done that for several decades, we all know this. So in your opinion, is this 4-wide spectacular a gimmick? A attempt to draw in more fans to the race it where it will be held (A smart business decision for SMI Corp).

And if so, is that a good way to build interest in our sport since it will be exclusive to Z-Max raceway?

Tim, not to answer for Mr. Asher, I too await his reply.
But it's nothing new. To Your generation yes, but I'm sure Jon remembers 4-lane back in the day, it was the norn - no big deal. East coast tracks did it, so did DETROIT Dragway.

The potential is there for:
live broadcasts (sponsors love)
Shorten the time for events
cut cost for teams
get loads of media attention for sport
more cars for sportsman

Theres a lot of good could come out of this.......

More cars for sportsman ? I thought it said all the sportman cars would be run normally . There is no reall sense for this thing apart from an attention seeking showy gimick .

Drag racing shouldnt have to change for people to watch it , people should want to watch it for what it is . I have no problem with putting on a show and pleasing the fans but as long as it doesnt effect the racing . I mean it is a sport and a racing organisation . I mean you dont see people saying "How can we make the olympics more entertaining?" racing is whats important . Its not some circus that comes to town every now and then .

And why on earth would anyone want to shorten the racing , bring on racing all day all night every weekend . The more the better . Who cares about waiting a couple of hours for oil downs I spent 2 days in the rain waiting for a hydroplane race that never happened because of weather and I have no complaints even though I did get a cold who cares .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back