Charlotte press conference: 4 wide (1 Viewer)

Ok, My opinion: Its sounds like a good idea if all the safety crews are capable of handling the additional load. BUT If we are going this route then it should not be changed until it is the standard for ALL National Event tracks. You don't just change the standard because you can at one or two venues. If you are going to change it you cahnge it for all. (Ie: 1000 ft rule) there are plenty of tracks that were capable of running 1/4 but we changed them all. If the "New Drag Racing" is 4 lanes. So be it. but wait until ALL can do it.

ALL can NEVER do it

Today it's 1 and two, then a wall THEN 3 and 4. So no more chance of cars gettin together then we have now. So it's safer now then back in the day.

4-wide is new to nhra, but not to dragracing. Some Cal. tracks had it and at least one mid-west track I know of. Sit back and enjoy folks.

Zappy, 4 wide was an East Coast and Mid West thing... never saw it in so-cal

Hey Mark....I'm wondering something. You've been around for a while. I'll bet you even attended a few of those famous Fox hunts at OCIR back in the day.

Would you consider that time period.. let's say 72-81 a time when going to the races was pretty entertaining?

Just wondering....

So...we have a taker.. Cool

Hey Gino:

At these awesome events at OCIR you spoke of, was it ENTERTAINING? And what about those events do you think brought in the fans? Was it the quantity of the cars? The names racing? What was ENTERTAINING about those awesome events..

btw: I agree with you, just like to get you to expand on why you went to those races and what entertained you about it.

Timmah,
I was overseas starting in late '73 and didn't get back out to the coast until late '77... The Only Races I went to at the County at that point were Points Races... None of the "Zoos" except 1 time... Took Kat to a flopper show one evening, around late 1980, spur of the moment thing... Kat hasn't been back to a drag strip since, and we left before the first round was over, because of the animals... which says alot, because she liked Corona (Our first date) and Ascot... dirt track stock car and open wheel stuff...

I guess what I'm saying, I don't think you can call me a FAN, not by the classic definition... I go to the track, alone, if I'm just there to 'watch'. I also firmly believe no alky in the pits until the toys are put away... and that means, if your drinking in the stands, that's where you stay...

d'kid

Sorry Karl, wrong coast, my bad. You know the OLD tapes I mean from yesteryear. 4 cars goin down no walls - no guard rails - maybe telephone poles lining the sides, maybe not.

The youngins think this is somethin "new"...us Geezers have seen it before.
The sky will NOT fall gang, either go and enjoy somethin different..............
or stay home, I'll enjoy your seat. ;);)

I have a question to derail this thread.
If this is so great and wonderful to revamp the wiring and computer program has to be rewritten to accommodate the 4 wide. Why was the run the 1/4 mile at the tracks that can handle it and 1000 ft at the tracks that can't handle idea thrown out because it would confuse the spectators and would require so much reprograming ?

Tim, to be honest I was only a young lad in my teens during that era, so I can't offer specifics. But there always seemed to be something going on either at OCIR, Irwindale, and other tracks. I along with my brothers would always tag along with my dad who was always there to work on someones car. Dixon in T/F, Pickett or Goeske it F/C, Booze, Rotty, or Roselli in P/S, Mr. Jean in S/C just to name a few. We would pull in park the truck and dad would say to us, "Alright here's $5 for your dinners, meet back here when the race is over, don't make me have to find you." At the end of the night, we would alway come back with a stack of handouts.

I'll never forget the time when a swarm of bees built a hive under the stairs of the tower at OCIR and some guy took a spray bottle and squirted it. BEES everywhere. I think I got stung a few times.

What made it special was the fact, with a few exceptions, there were no superstars back then. They were ordinary people doing what they loved to do. And I don't think they saw themselves as stars or even wanted to be media stars. Just a little recognition was nice once in a while. I could go on, but it would just turn in to a book. It was the people that made dragracing special for me.

It seems to me that all it took was hardwork to scrap up some spare money, a passion, and some friends to go racing. NHRA has snowballed into what it is today and that is a shame. It's a shame that they have to try something different like this to build interest.

People, just go to your local track and enjoy yourself, those are the special times.

I'm hoping the next big advancement for NHRA will be 8 wide for 800'. :rolleyes:

I don't see why this couldn't be done as a "Night Of Fire" type of event. Why do it as one of the NHRA National events? Do it all in one day. Start in the morning, and end it at night. 4 wide flames lighting up the night. No points involved. Award the winner big money. I could see this being a great show, as a "show".

I hardly paid attention last year, and I'll pay less attention this year. After being around this sport most of my 46 years, NHRA has pretty much alienated me.

I'd rather NHRA concentrate on doubling the participants, as opposed to doubling the lanes.

I agree as a show it would be cool

Ok, My opinion: Its sounds like a good idea if all the safety crews are capable of handling the additional load. BUT If we are going this route then it should not be changed until it is the standard for ALL National Event tracks. You don't just change the standard because you can at one or two venues. If you are going to change it you cahnge it for all. (Ie: 1000 ft rule) there are plenty of tracks that were capable of running 1/4 but we changed them all. If the "New Drag Racing" is 4 lanes. So be it. but wait until ALL can do it.

every ballpark in baseball has different dimensions. Since we seem to copy nascar I don't think they have any two tracks the same. I wouldn't have a problem with 1000' at some tracks 1/4 at others, 4 lanes at Zmax, 2 lanes every where else.

Look it will draw attention to our side of motorsports. As someone who has been very critical of the NHRA in the last 24 months I think this is an excellent move. As far as the ZMAX events turning into a bigger event than the US Nationals.... well it a dang shame but the NHRA tracks are radioactive dumps compared to Brutons tracks. I have done Indy and it truly is a awesome spectical,but its a dump along with Atlanta and (insert Nhra owned tracks here). I will be at ZMAX and it will be awesome. Hats off to the NHRA

I find it so funny when you guys call your tracks dumps , you guys are spoilt with the tracks you guys have you have no idea how lucky you guys are . What do you guys want , 5 star restaurants where you sit and watch and waiters that wait on you and toilets that clean your own butt .

Last edited:
Re: Charlotte press conference

Hey Mark....I'm wondering something. You've been around for a while. I'll bet you even attended a few of those famous Fox hunts at OCIR back in the day.

Would you consider that time period.. let's say 72-81 a time when going to the races was pretty entertaining?

Just wondering....

Yeah, I was at just about every nitro show at OCIR, and the Fox Hunt with the riot stands out. They had rock bands set up in the first grandstand, wet t shirt contests, add in lots of booze, and mayhem normally followed culminating one year with fans tearing the body off the Ace's car.
You know I can't say racing was better or more entertaining in one decade to the next, as many races or meets from the 70's to the early 2000's stand out. The 75 Winston Finals, 1983 US Nationals (first all 5 second FC field with the 'Teach on the bump), 96 Topeka (Force 8 4's in a row (including the first 4.8) & Amato / Blaine first in the 50's), to Shoe's record blast to snatch the title from Kalitta. Our group has always been about the numbers, and that is the buzz kill of todays 1000' racing. I think the cars of today are bad ass, and if they ran a full quarter 4 wide I would start walking right now (from So Cal) to see it. The nostalgia scene is pretty cool and we get the same feeling seeing the AA/FD's lay down a 5.60 or a AA/FC an 80.

My 2 cents worth, from one who was there in September. I thought that the 4 wide exibition passes were awesome. I more reserved about 4 wide, all the time. I'll be there in March, so I'll find out. The thought of nitro qualifying being over in 30 to 40 minutes does not appeal to me, at all. Growing the sport is a wonderful idea. 4 wide can only be done at one track, so growth in the sport will be minimal at best. Only the event can see growth. And I also think that will be minimal. The sport need hard core growth across the board. This isn't the way to do it.

I find it so funny when you guys call your tracks dumps , you guys are spoilt with the tracks you guys have you have no idea how lucky you guys are.

Will, don't kid yourself.

Do you think the U.S. is only populated by NHRA tracks?

My home state of Georgia has 1 NHRA and the ONLY times I have ever been there are for national races. Once to a NHRA national, and twice to a Fun Ford Event.

99% of the races I have ever been to were backwoods 1/8 mile crap tracks like Calhoun, Brainerd, LaGrange, and Eatonton. Oh and NONE of those tracks have tech . . . on test and tune nights you have several lifted trucks with cutouts and rebel flags/60s muscle cars with open exhaust on slicks running mid 8s in the 1/8/terrible and overpriced food etc.

If you haven't been to the states to see the comparison between a Bruton track and a non-Bruton track then I can see why you fail to comprehend the statement.

Will, don't kid yourself.

Do you think the U.S. is only populated by NHRA tracks?

My home state of Georgia has 1 NHRA and the ONLY times I have ever been there are for national races. Once to a NHRA national, and twice to a Fun Ford Event.

99% of the races I have ever been to were backwoods 1/8 mile crap tracks like Calhoun, Brainerd, LaGrange, and Eatonton. Oh and NONE of those tracks have tech . . . on test and tune nights you have several lifted trucks with cutouts and rebel flags/60s muscle cars with open exhaust on slicks running mid 8s in the 1/8/terrible and overpriced food etc.

If you haven't been to the states to see the comparison between a Bruton track and a non-Bruton track then I can see why you fail to comprehend the statement.

You are exactly right your last statement was the point I was trying to get across , I look at the tracks here and then I looks at your guys tracks on tv and whatever and its like "what are they complaining about" . I understand that brutons track is like a super track but im sure there are alot of places that would consider themselves very lucky to have any of the nhra tracks . I guess for you guys though you have allways had those tracks .

You are exactly right your last statement was the point I was trying to get across

If you do get a chance to come over here you have to see the difference for yourself . . .

I have only been to handful of NHRA tracks but IMO Bristol is the nicest track I have ever been to.

I have only been to handful of NHRA tracks but IMO Bristol is the nicest track I have ever been to.[/QUOTE]

I have been to quite a few NHRA tracks and like RT66 (Chicago) best

I think they screwed up the ladder, unless they are counting the the sets separate...

just by carrying out the thinking that each set of 4 has two winner in rd 1 and rd 2... then rd 1 one ladder Should and must be

Top Half
# 1 vs #16 Vs #15 vs # 14 two winner

#3 vs #10 vs #9 vs #8 two winners

Bottom Half

#2 vs #13 vs #12 vs #11 two winners

#4 vs #7 vs #6 vs #5 two winners

Jeff Foster, please tell me how i am wrong

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back