Charlotte press conference: 4 wide (1 Viewer)

Drag racing shouldnt have to change for people to watch it , people should want to watch it for what it is . I have no problem with putting on a show and pleasing the fans but as long as it doesnt effect the racing . I mean it is a sport and a racing organisation . I mean you dont see people saying "How can we make the olympics more entertaining?" racing is whats important . Its not some circus that comes to town every now and then .

things change... happens in every sport...

What about golf , they dont seem to be having any trouble with people watching or money getting thrown at them , what about cricket and tennis.

Theres a racing series here in new zealand and australia called the v8 supercars . Its 2 different models of cars racing in a typical circuet race event kind of thing . This series its hugely populer with heaps of people watching and sponsors flocking to it and millions of millions of dollars thrown around and their tv coverage is amasing a good 4 hours and the most important race of the year in this series goes all day . Sure its not as great as drag racing but it doesnt seem to be having any problems and they dont have to go all showy and gimmicky to impress .

Sorry for going on and on but something is seriously seriously wrong for a sport itself to have to change for it to be noticed . You can give a plant as much sunlight as it wants but if you dont give it any water its not going to grow .

I agree with you Will, die hard fans like you and me will go. But theres a lot of competition for the spectator dollar. If something like this brings NEW fans, it's a good thing, cause that will bring more sponsor dollars. And thats a VERY good thing.

I could say a whole lot more but nothing I say is going to make any differance to anything I dont know anything about promoting or running a business .

I'm no business man either. All I'm saying is , lets give this a try, see if it works. If it does GREAT, if it doesn't...no harm done.

Dan Becker is right, over the years our sport has changed. The tree, qualifying, count down, nitro ban, ect. And it's still here. If we want our sport to grow, we can't be stagnant.

Drag racing shouldnt have to change for people to watch it , people should want to watch it for what it is .

BINGO ! Drag racing should be a legitimate competition that attracts fans to watch and enjoy ( like it was in the first damn place) ! If sheep need to be entertained at any cost then they can go to Disneyfrick'nland !

I hate the count down too. It's ruined the season championship for me. Don't like the Fri. qualifying format of NOT counting 13 thru 16. But I still go.

I guess I just don't see what all the fear is about trying this??? at one track.
It's not like all 24 races are gonna do it.

Actually Zappy, the 4 lane thing was a gimmick

Times changed since those glory days Zappy.
Yer right, they do. And this is just another change. But not to the sport as a whole, It's just ONE race. Some races run PRO bike...some don't.

For some reason folks think this is gonna revalutionize drag racing, it' won't.
I agree Tim 2 go down or 4 go down, only the winner should advance to the next RD.

Burnouts a gimmick? arent burnouts supposed to a performance thing to do with the tires , it was just people liked seeing them so guys started doing reall long smokey ones?

I think there are good gimmicks and bad gimmicks good gimmicks are ones where the racing is still the same but a little excitement is added for the fans but the racing is still the same . This 4 wide thing well it changes everything it makes the way the race works different .

I'm still trying to understand the nuts and bolts of this format. Maybe this is already out there in the release, but I'll ask it anyway.

Let's use the funny car four by as an example...

Lane 1 - Force
Lane 2 - Neff
Lane 3 - Wilkerson
Lane 4 - Worsham

Neff was the first one across the stripe, so he wins...I get that. But Force was the 2nd one across, ahead of Worsham who was in a totally different race that just happened to be going on NEXT to the Force/Neff race.

So the way I'm reading this, Force would advance, right? If that's true, then there is no winner from the Wilkerson/Worsham "round". OR(!!) does Worsham get the win because he beat his opponent, Wilkerson, to the finishline?!

Please to explain...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back