Charlotte press conference: 4 wide (1 Viewer)

Re: Charlotte press conference

ok here is my question(s)....

If you have an oil down in one lane... in the past they worked on both lanes due to the spray coming over to the other lane....

If we get and oil down in one lane will they take time to make sure all the lanes are clear?.. part 2.. how long will it take to clean 4 lanes now?....lol

i thought this was a great novilty idea the first time...great for a special evetn like the old winston invitational was ...etc...

but realisticly its gonna have alot of issues for teams, track workers and sponsors....my biggest concern is for sponsors.... before we had onepair of cars... you had two options to look at from the stands and for tv.. now you have 4 options... one car makes a great pass in a pair you still have a chance to get tv time.. which is what the sponsor is realy paying for..... now with 4 cars your odds are alot less..... some of the smaller teams are realy gonna loose out... the small deals they have that would normaly get them a small amount of tv time will more than likely dry up....

as a fan its gonna be hard to keep up with what happens with 4 cars on the strip at the same time.... we will concentrate on our driver and miss what might be happening in the other lanes.. races are only 4 secs roughly... and the tv and the big screen can only catch so much....

Billy

Last edited:

I can see where shortening the time it takes to run an event has its merits from the TV standpoint. I can also see the hype for the first time thingie.
What I can't understand is what's gunna happen when 2 or even 3 of the 4 cars blows an engine. How much time will it take for the cleanup? There's still the same number of people, trucks, jet blowers, etc.
Lot's more I'd guess.
Seem's to me to be a very short sighted plan to put more bodies in the stands with a gimmick.

I think this is awesome for the sport. The sport has to continually change and evolve to be successful, and this is exactly what they are doing with the 4-wide. I hope it goes well and the sport as a whole benefits from it.

On another topic...
How will the races be setup? Will first round be 1 vs. 16 vs. 2 vs. 15? etc

Some people are never happy.... when Charlotte was announced to have 4 lanes some said "let's have 4 lane racing!".... Now those people are crapping on NHRA for doing this. :rolleyes:

I think it's totally awesome, myself.

The original purpose or intention of four lanes was to help eliminate downtime from engine failures, not create a whole new sport.

But if this is what it takes to keep professional drag racing a float...so be it. What will be next? Move the lake at Firebird closer to the strip so they can race boats and cars against each other?

I think I hear Henry Winkler putting his leather jacket on now...

Some people are never happy.... when Charlotte was announced to have 4 lanes some said "let's have 4 lane racing!".... Now those people are crapping on NHRA for doing this. :rolleyes:

X2!!

-Chris

saw a question on another board.. and it think its a very good one....

Safety.... how many more crews will be added?.... god forbid the worse case would happen.....three or more cars have fire or sever crash issues?.. what happens then? don't say it can't happen...its a real possibility....

Billy

But if this is what it takes to keep professional drag racing a float...so be it. What will be next? Move the lake at Firebird closer to the strip so they can race boats and cars against each other?

You know what.... this would be pretty cool to see. :p :D

saw a question on another board.. and it think its a very good one....

Safety.... how many more crews will be added?.... god forbid the worse case would happen.....three or more cars have fire or sever crash issues?.. what happens then? don't say it can't happen...its a real possibility....

Billy

The following is from CompetitionPlus from the 2009 Charlotte race when they did the exhibition with the 4 wide.

If the NHRA devoted a lion's share of attention to logistics, safety was given the attention of two lions.

“Well, we've got to be prepared for the worst case [scenario] and that’s four serious accidents,” Light said. “At any race we are prepared for two. It's a matter of basically doubling your emergency response people on the top end and track side and the equipment that you have and we've done that. I am very comfortable with the safety aspect.”

Preparation included extra emergency trucks staffed with double the personnel with one crew on each side of the two tracks. There were extra medical units on standby as well as a second helicopter nearby.

2009 NHRA CAROLINAS NATIONALS - EVENT NOTEBOOK

So I would guess they would do the same safety prep that they did for the exhibition last year.

Last edited:

ok here is my question(s)....

If you have an oil down in one lane... in the past they worked on both lanes due to the spray coming over to the other lane....

If we get and oil down in one lane will they take time to make sure all the lanes are clear?.. part 2.. how long will it take to clean 4 lanes now?....lol...........
There's a wall between the middle lanes, 2 separate race tracks essentially.

Typical Maters, will complain about anything and everything that changes in the sport. I think it will be awesome for the sport, look at how nuts the fans were, and the media coverage that the sport got last fall when they ran the exhibitions.

That would be great if tehre was a staging battle in all 4 lanes in pro stock,the Iceman couldnt take it lol.
That's some funny chit right there, same thing when it rains, he will be running across 4 lanes wiggling his fingers................:D He'll also have to have 3 bar stools out there................

Sounds good on paper, I will wait and see what happens before I pass judgment. I applaud the NHRA and Bruton Smith for thinking outside of the box, hopefully this will generate some much needed exposure.

Sounds pretty neato to me - 32,000 horsepower or so. Does this mean they'll show all 4 runs in replay seperately - and Paul Page will have just as much time to flub up as usual? Or, does that mean the whole event gets completed in half the time, and Pauly has to cut it short?? :D

Safe to say, no vacation time off will be gratned to the Safety Safari folks for that race. THOSE are going to be the heros, if they can pull it off. I hope Brutom markets the crap out of it - as he should.

There's a wall between the middle lanes, 2 separate race tracks essentially.

Yeah i have been to the track.. but have you ever walked next to a wall on two lane track in the grass... i have.. it can get oily on the other side of a wall.. just saying.. will they take the time to make sure for safety sake....

and no dout this will go off well the first time... short of a bad wreck all powers that be will say it was succesfull... just like NASCAR and the COT... perfect from the start.. even if it is getting changed back to nomal now slowly...

but this event will server under the "monkey and a football" event... let them do their thing and people will flock to see it once... just hope it keeps them coming back....

Its full understandable what they are trying to do.. and its not realy live tv time,.... they are trying to bring in new fans.. hopefullyand mostly from the oval crowd.. but.. those are two different crowds... most oval fans don't like or get drag racing just like most drag fans don't like or get oval racing.. they realy need to work on the strengths of drag racing to the drag fans to get them off the couch and to the events in person..... IMO....

Billy

The original purpose or intention of four lanes was to help eliminate downtime from engine failures, not create a whole new sport.

I think I hear Henry Winkler putting his leather jacket on now...

Actually Bill I believe the next logical step is to run the strip right into the lake and have all in one combination T/F Hydro show. At least that is what I heard. How else will Firebird keep up?

Brainerd will now include the full road course, so first back to the trailer will be the winner... and so on.

Each track will have a different take in it. Gainesville will add the full swamp buggy course and the sippy hole...

Vegas will have a hold em poker tourney and race all in one.

Indy will have three events in one with the circle track laps included as part of the qualifying ladder... But Thursday before the event parking and tech start will kick off with the brickyard and the 30 lap for each class fully loaded tractor/trailer tow rig qualifier race with the top 32 going into the weekend. This will include all sportsman classes as well. Sure to be a big weekend! I am putting all my money on Kalitta for that deal.

That is what I heard...

it's announced on the z-max web site, the nhra 4 wide nationals..........:d

charlotte motor speedway | dragway | nhra nationals - march

fourwidenatls_10_250x150.png

what a f%$#*ng joke

Yawn. If NHRA really want to bring excitement back to drag racing, than they should run the whole 1/4 mile.

I hate false hype.

so let me get this straight.....this is the same group of people who piss and moan constantly about the current state of racing and about how we need to get back to the "good 'ol days"

....well correct me if i am wrong but 4-lane racing orginated back in the 60s!! aren't these the good 'ol days everyone talks about?! wasn't it so cool back then.....i know its the montra of the member that we must fear change but give it rest

WOW! That is a lot of negativity! :eek:
I say let it fly. Glad they are giving it a try. It could go either way but I love the fact they are trying something new. The exhibitions were amazing! The races will be very interesting. Something no one has mentioned is that is gives you a bit of a mulligan. How many times has a car made what turns out to be the second quickest run of the round and it happens to be against the guy that makes the fastest. I am excited. I think I will plan a trip to that race..........:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back