Changes to National Records? (1 Viewer)

i
, along with throttle wacks and longer burnouts.
what show do you want to see?....nhra as it existed in 90's?....or nhra as it exists today?.....you can only pick one.
i'll take 90's blindfolded. all day, everyday

Mike, we can't tell the crew chiefs how to run their cars. As technology evolves, methods change. A lot of us older fans miss, long burn-outs, throttle wacks, and dry-hops. May I suggest you take in a large "Nostalgia" event near you. All 3 are still done. Enjoy !!

The older, much wiser, Sapienza

"The older, much wiser, Sapienza"

who's meds are just fine thank you!;)

now, which drug stops the urge to crossdress.....hmmmmmm

Mike, we can't tell the crew chiefs how to run their cars. As technology evolves, methods change......

paul, this applies to all sports
nfl: bigger & faster: qb protect rules, hitting below shoulders, kickoff moved up.....draft, combine, they're in our face all year long.
nba: longer season with playoffs extending into june to better position for late spring/early summer tv ratings
pga: better equipment, tee boxes moved way back
nascar: restrictor plates, tried COT didn't work and they realized it, some tracks now changing to enhance the experience.
mlb: they won't change, games should be shorter, they don't care, they're no longer america's #1 sport
F1: seems like constant change

what i'm suggesting is that every sport goes thru periods where there are peak periods of spectator (live & tv) involvement
at high levels. technology always advances, but if following it blindly lessens your product, what good is the technology if
there is no one there to see it, much less money to make it happen?......and the product is entertainment.
so, to be specific to drag racing; are nostalgia series, pro mod series, ihra, pdra, reality tv shows, etc. now siphoning fans
from nhra nat. events?.....rite now a bunch of red necks with hopped up cars are kicking nhra's ass in tv ratings.
AND IT'S DRAG RACING!!

i don't expect the nhra to all of sudden flip a switch and bring back something from the past, but they do need to realize that
their entertainment offered today is quite a bit different from what it was not long ago, and that a lot of the changes have
really not been met with applause (i.e. fans miss certain aspects of the entertainment) ...and we're
their bread and butter

Last edited:
Good post Mike. I've said all along, the very things that have allowed for the insane leaps in performance over the years are also things that have taken some fun away for the spectators. It's all about efficiency. Half track burnouts, dry hops, throttle whacks, recognizable bodies, etc. have all disappeared in the name of performance. And we've all enjoyed the ride. So now it's difficult to put the horse back in the barn. Anyone notice some of the SS/AH cars don't hang the front wheels quite as high or for as long as in the past? As to the topic of this thread, national records, to me it seemed like this past year saw setting national records get more attention than ever before. So I really hope NHRA leaves it alone and keeps the bonus points in place.

OK ... I get that timing systems are better and more accurate now, so the 1% backup is no longer necessary. But why scrap the 20 points?

NATIONAL RECORDS FOR THE PRO CLASSES DON'T MEAN ANYTHING. BUT, IF NHRA IS GOING TO MAKE A CHANGE AND LIST THE RECORD HOLDERS THEY SHOULD AT LEAST SHOW THE RIGHT ONES.
FOR T/F THEY SHOW ANTON BROWN, NOT RIGHT. SHAWN LANGDON IN ALAN JOHNSON'S T/F CAR RAN A 3.662 AT BRAINARD LAST YEAR.
AS NORMAL NHRA CAN'T GET THEIR SxxT CORRECT.

Let me guess, Dim Light is going to rely on his "optical data" if there's any controversies. What happens in a case like where Courtney's speed was artificially high, they just hand it to her anyway?

NATIONAL RECORDS FOR THE PRO CLASSES DON'T MEAN ANYTHING. BUT, IF NHRA IS GOING TO MAKE A CHANGE AND LIST THE RECORD HOLDERS THEY SHOULD AT LEAST SHOW THE RIGHT ONES.
FOR T/F THEY SHOW ANTON BROWN, NOT RIGHT. SHAWN LANGDON IN ALAN JOHNSON'S T/F CAR RAN A 3.662 AT BRAINARD LAST YEAR.
AS NORMAL NHRA CAN'T GET THEIR SxxT CORRECT.

Shawn never backed that up as a record, so it doesn't count as one. Neither does his 334mph run from 2012. The no backup thing starts now, it is not retroactive. NHRA has it right, and it is their game. They decide who does and doesn't have the record.

I couldn't care less about the 1% rule but to take the points away...I can't wrap my head around that. I guess we'll never see an epic moment like "The Run" again.

OK ... I get that timing systems are better and more accurate now, so the 1% backup is no longer necessary. But why scrap the 20 points?
I asked Terry Blount earlier today why and this was his response. " A couple of reasons why we eliminated the bonus points. First, we want it to be uniform with speed. We stopped awarding points for speed several years ago. Second, we want the championship to be about winning and losing, not records, but we wanted to make it easier for drivers to set records, along with making it easier for fans and reporters to understand it."

Thanks Paul. But if they want it to be more about winning and making it simpler, are they keeping the "little points"?

Thanks Paul. But if they want it to be more about winning and making it simpler, are they keeping the "little points"?
That is a fantastic point in my humble opinion. If it's solely about winning and losing - and if that's the case, so be it - then why award the little points for the top three ET's during qualifying? In theory, the reward for going quicker in qualifying is movement (hopefully) up the ladder, which may result in more qualifying points and should improve your match-up on Sunday morning.

Or, if you're going to continue to award little points for the top three ET's during qualifying then shouldn't they only count if the driver won the "qualifying race"? Meaning, if a driver sets low ET but left late (for whatever reason) and didn't cross the finish line first, they shouldn't get the points. Wouldn't that add a little (and I stress a "little") excitement or drama to qualifying?

Just a thought.

Did they change that article? Or did I miss something? Doesn't mention anything about removing points.....

Did they change that article? Or did I miss something? Doesn't mention anything about removing points.....

Per the article linked by Paul above......"As is currently the case with all national speed records and Alcohol elapsed time records, points will no longer be awarded for elapsed time national records."

I still see absolutely no sense in doing this at all. Drag Racing has always been about numbers, and being as fast/quick as possbile. Now, setting a National ET Record means nothing in the big scheme of things, beyond bragging rights.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back