Changes to National Records? (1 Viewer)

I've always wanted them to go the other way, back to where both e t. and speed records made 20 points. With that said, in the name of safety, I totally get it. However, a racer's gonna race, points be damned. As Snake would say, "I'm still going to break their backs".

I can't see that happening either. Look at how many times the funny car record was set and reset last season, not to mention the bonus points battle between Capps and Beckman in Pomona. The potential 20 points changed hands 3 times Saturday and Sunday, and two of them were on back-to-back runs. The NHRA wanted to create drama for their points chases, and adding the "little points" during qualifying was a great idea, so getting rid of national record points doesn't make any sense to me.

After all the drama leading up to "the run" where Shoe had to and did set the T/F record to win the championship in the final, why would they do this?

Last edited:
If this comes to pass......

What an insanely jacka$$ idea. It's a reward for being innovative and the best at your sport. It's such an honor to be called the quickest car on the planet. The 20 points also welcomes the risk taker. The man who wants to push the envelope. As far as I am concerned this is a unique part of the sport that needs to stay.

This just in - the NHRA is abandoning the Countdown, banning Nitro and returning to 1320

with the recent ideas they've been having, I'll bet you believed it......

I've been chewing on this one for a couple of days now, and I just can't find one single positive thing about removing the points and importance placed on setting a National Record. Can anybody give me one good reason for NHRA even considering this change? Who would it benefit, and why?

One can only wonder who is crying? :D

I've been chewing on this one for a couple of days now, and I just can't find one single positive thing about removing the points and importance placed on setting a National Record. Can anybody give me one good reason for NHRA even considering this change? Who would it benefit, and why?

Welcome to the PC Generation, where everyone wins a trophy.

BIR benefits.....bragging rights :D
337mph....TF - fasted 1320'
332mph....TF - fasted 1000'
3.66....TF - quickest 1000'
3.87....FC - quickest 1000'

...Can anybody give me one good reason for NHRA even considering this change? Who would it benefit, and why?
Christopher, I've also been pondering this. It seems as though lower-funded teams that are unlikely to set a record could benefit because they wouldn't fall further behind the higher-funded teams that tend to set the records. But IMHO, "The Show" would suffer.

They do that Zap and I'm gone............................................................................

Why would this ever be done? I do not understand this. It was always said that speed way never given points cause it was much easier backed. This is just I bad move, it may always never give teams any incentive to push for a national record. Points is more important than any bragging or the peanuts of $$ to this monster teams spending millions to get 1/2 mil back if they win the title.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back