Johnny Gray tuning change (1 Viewer)

I had a feeling I was going to see a press release like this when he DNQ'ed.

But in all seriousness, one or 2 DNQ's does not mean a crew chief has become a moron suddenly. Hell, look at Robert Hight's 2009 season. Did John Force Fire Prock because of a couple of DNQ's? No! And look what happened.

If they let Beard go, it will be a bad move!! The guys been out of the tuning game for a bit, but already he has proven that he can make that car run well. Some days you just won't have it, that's why people need to learn to persist more, sadly in this day and age that rarely happens.

Here is the way I look at it....

The points system has it set up where you only really have 16 races to get your $h!t together and get in that top 10.

10 races down and 6 to go, 10th in points and fresh off a DNQ, you need to step back and take a look at what's going on. I think the top 5 cars right now are pretty safe, but 6-13 anybody can make it.

So..

Stick with the program you have for the next 6 races and hope by then it turns around??

OR

Start over hit the refresh button and go at it from a different approach??

I think I would have stuck it out the way it is and hoped for the best, but... There are a lot of other factors involved, Including a driver with some deep pockets.

I thought Beard was also the "manager" of all of the teams or something like that. Maybe he'll just be back to doing that.

I think a nitro crew chief is probably the most challenging crew chief position in all of motors sports.

To be successful you must be capable of consistently keeping the car right on the edge of blowing up without putting out too much power and smoking the tires, under continually changing conditions.

In the other forms of motorsports you get a lot more chances to gather data and make adjustments to get your car right on that knife edge. For example in NASCAR you can start the race with a pretty bad car and you have a lot of laps to get your act together and can still win the race.

In a nitro car, you get it wrong on your one shot and you are done for the day, and you get a camera close up for your trouble.

I don't think Lee Beard has lost the ability to do this, I think he's just hit a bad spell and will come back from it.

I think a nitro crew chief is probably the most challenging crew chief position in all of motors sports.

To be successful you must be capable of consistently keeping the car right on the edge of blowing up without putting out too much power and smoking the tires, under continually changing conditions.

In the other forms of motorsports you get a lot more chances to gather data and make adjustments to get your car right on that knife edge. For example in NASCAR you can start the race with a pretty bad car and you have a lot of laps to get your act together and can still win the race.

In a nitro car, you get it wrong on your one shot and you are done for the day, and you get a camera close up for your trouble.

Throw in "single car team" and the degree of difficulty really gets high.......

I really don't think anybody should be blaming Johnny. The man can drive just about anything.

The team had a couple of "off" weekends, that's it from my point of view.

Is it the Tuner and Car?

But it IS Johnny's money, so it CAN'T be him...

d'kid
Not to minimize a drivers job, but how many ways can they screw up a run? If 2 cars leave together-and both keep it in the groove-and car "A" gets there a tenth quicker--was there something the driver of car B could have done? Not mocking anyone or their posts-serious question. :confused:

Not to minimize a drivers job, but how many ways can they screw up a run? If 2 cars leave together-and both keep it in the groove-and car "A" gets there a tenth quicker--was there something the driver of car B could have done? Not mocking anyone or their posts-serious question. :confused:

A driver can affect the time on a run by the way he/she does the following:
1. Burnout
2. Clutch/brake control during backing up, putting car in forward and reverse, going to stage.
3. Consistency in his timing to do the above.
4. Aborting a run before major damage if something isn't right.
5. Staging, in regards to time to stage, how far into a light (referred to "grabbing/taking a chunk", foot too heavy on throttle during which raises the pre set rpm,
6. putting throttle all the way down quickly and staying all the way down throughout the run.
7. Keeping car going straight and preferrably in the groove.
8. Slapping throttle or pulling brake to limit spin or shake, or staying away from both to allow your TCD to do it's job (if installed)

Not saying Johnny has a problem with any of this, just what the driver can screw up on a run.

A driver can affect the time on a run by the way he/she does the following:
1. Burnout
2. Clutch/brake control during backing up, putting car in forward and reverse, going to stage.
3. Consistency in his timing to do the above.
4. Aborting a run before major damage if something isn't right.
5. Staging, in regards to time to stage, how far into a light (referred to "grabbing/taking a chunk", foot too heavy on throttle during which raises the pre set rpm,
6. putting throttle all the way down quickly and staying all the way down throughout the run.
7. Keeping car going straight and preferrably in the groove.
8. Slapping throttle or pulling brake to limit spin or shake, or staying away from both to allow your TCD to do it's job (if installed)

Not saying Johnny has a problem with any of this, just what the driver can screw up on a run.

Number 7 is a major factor. It's easy to blame the crew chief when, in fact, many good runs are lost because the driver let it slip out of a narrow groove. Reload and try again.

True a Good driver will make up for some on the performance side, but do I think John Force would have nearly the success he has had without Austin Coil in his corner? No I don't!

True a Good driver will make up for some on the performance side, but do I think John Force would have nearly the success he has had without Austin Coil in his corner? No I don't!

And Austin wouldn't have had the success he's enjoyed without John so it's a two-way street. Come on guys, we've been down this road a hundred times.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back