Campaign to have a statue of Steve Evans in NHRA Museum by 2010 (1 Viewer)

Speedy_Sticks

Nitro Member
What can you say about the TV voice of NHRA Drag Racing. Although he didn't have much of a history in the driving in this sport.

I feel he should be remembered by NHRA for the word that he had done, buth for his TV work, and other work he did assoiated with the NHRA.

Cheers

James
[email protected]

Re: Campaign to have a statue of Steve Evans in NHRA Museim by 2010

I would say that Steve was one of the best out there, in any form of motorsports commentary. Even the old Diamond P Swamp Buggy Races!! Remember the 'sippy hole'?

I would say that Steve was one of the best out there, in any form of motorsports commentary. Even the old Diamond P Swamp Buggy Races!! Remember the 'sippy hole'?

Steve wasn't one of the best. He WAS the best, and together with Dave McClelland, was a duo that will never be beat. Those guys were pretty near perfect, and I sorely miss them both. I had the chance to meet Steve Evans when I was a 13 year old wide eyed fan, and he was rushing from pit to pit on a golf cart. I was as much in awe over seeing him as I was over seeing Prudhomme or Force, or Amato or Hill. At any rate, even as busy as he was, he stopped and toolk time to sign an autograph, pose for a photo with me, and talked for a minute with my Dad. That really stuck with me, just a hell of a nice guy and a great ambassador to the sport. And as far as I am concerned, he will ALWAYS be the voice of the sport of Drag Racing. :cool:

Don't forget Track Manager

d'kid

Sunday... Sunday.... SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!

STEVE EVANS WAS THE BEST VOICE AND AMBASSADOR THIS SPORT HAS EVER HAD. IT WAS HARD TO WAIT A WEEK TO SEE DIAMOND P SPORTS. THE SWAMP BUGGIES AND THE SIPPY HOLE, I REALLY MISS THAT MAYBE SPEEDTV COULD START SHOWING IT, OH WELL SO MUCH FOR REMINISCING. :cool:

and together with Dave McClelland, was a duo that will never be beat. Those guys were pretty near perfect, and I sorely miss them both. :cool:

Ditto on that, Tom. The suggestion that these two belong in the HOF is an absolute no-brainer.

Sean D

Dave & Steve were the voices of NHRA. At the first national event I attended, I walked through the gate and heard the voice of Steve Evans over the PA, It gave me chills. At that point I knew I was there!

The statue sounds like a great idea.

I always thought Steve was the best there was. No offense to "Big Mac", he's great too, but Steve just had something about him. I was so happy when I met him at Columbus in '93. He couldn't have been nicer. I damn near cried like a baby when I had heard he was gone. I really miss him on those broadcasts and at the races. I still run a " In Memory of Steve Evans" decal on my Altered.

Dave

I had the pleasure of spending the day with Steve shooting an infomercial at McLeod clutches around 1982. I was just out of High School and they asked about using My Dad's 67 Nova S/G car and my 64 Nova street car.
Somehow they decided to have Steve sit in my car and (try) to push the clutch pedal in without straining while talking on camera! It was pretty funny.

Then they decide they want me on camera being interviewed by Steve! I was sooo not ready for it and very nervous. Steve kept telling me "don't worry about a script, just wing it" . It was not pretty, let me tell you. Every time they yelled cut, and we started over...I could not remember what I said last time! Take after take I kept changing what I would say and at some point we start laughing.
I recall Steve saying to me "I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you"!
It was a lot of fun and a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Steve died when I was in my late 30's and I realized he was the age I was when we did that McLeod ad and how kindly he treated this 18 yr. old kid.
I don't know if I could have put up with an 18 yr. old that day and not lose my patience.

I learned something about humility from that man and cried when I found out he had passed away.

It's very sad to see it takes a campaign effort to get Steve in the Museum where he obviously belongs. Almost 8 years and this hasn't happened yet?
How is THAT possible?

RIP Steve.

I had the pleasure of spending the day with Steve shooting an infomercial at McLeod clutches around 1982. I was just out of High School and they asked about using My Dad's 67 Nova S/G car and my 64 Nova street car.

Not to derail the thread Mike, but is your father Bob Mendenhall from San Diego?

It was a summer race I believe. 1996? Maybe Topeka, or a Houston? Tony P vs. John Force. Tony's car was out there man, and just died allowing John around to the win light.

Steve, after talking with Tony P at the far end says something to the effect of "No oil, blower belt's still on......it's a mystery."

Anybody remember this??

Steve was dedicated to the sport he covered.

I miss hearing his voice and his take on the racing action! He and Dave Mac were it for me! I too cried buckets when I heard Steve was gone. He definitely deserves the recognition!! Long overdue!

Steve was the voice of many things besides NHRA. He did the early ALMS races on NBC. The World of Outlaws on TNN. He did the auto auctions long before Barrett-Jackson became a TV event. Swamp Buggy racing on TNN. He was even the pit reporter for NASCAR when TNN used to show the races from Rockingham. He was the consummate pro.

My favorite Steve Evans quote: "So many floppers on the grounds it looks like a fiberglass forest".

I was watching some old diamond p videos on youtube this week and, gotta agree wasn't anyone better ever for the voice of the nhra

There needs to be a statue of Dave Mac and Steve Evans! Those guys set the standard in TV broadcasting and no one has come close to the precedent they have set. Mike Dunn is coming into his own as well as Marty Reid before he was shipped off to NASCAR.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back