NHRA Museum (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
Published with the kind permission of Randy Fish, Drag Racer Magazine Editor.

The word on the streets tells of NHRA's desire to close the doors and transfer ownership of its exhibits to the Petersen Automotive Museum, located on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles. This particular museum came to be in 1994 thanks to a 5-million-dollar donation to the Los Angeles County Natural History Museum by benefactors (and Wally Parks' former boss), publishing magnate Robert. E. Petersen. In 2000, another 24.8-million was donated to the L.A. County Natural History Museum (by Petersen) to retire the bond debt and establish the Petersen Automotive Museum Foundation as a non-profit organisation. Sure, it's an interesting place, but it's not OUR place. Besides, the Petersen has no room for such a large amount of historical race cars, displays and artifacts, and it would likely benefit only by tax deductions if this deal were to occur. However, if this scenario were to play out (and it may have by the time you read this), I fear the displays and cars that helped shape the sport of drag racing would be relegated to a subterranean storage garage where they'd never see the light of day.

Now, here's the irony in all of this: NHRA is attempting to push it's history off in a corner and forget about it, while NASCAR is building an opulent, mega-million-dollar Hall of Fame in Charlotte, North Carolina, in order to celebrate ITS past. And while nothing stays the same in life, certain decisions seem to make no sense whatsoever. That, my friends, is the difference between an organisation with genuine passion and one that's hell bent on looking through the windshield while having reckless disregard for where it's been. Long live the Wally Parks Motorsports Museum. I can only hope the Auto Club of Southern California has a say in all this.

Well, I was playing by ear if I would renew my NHRA membership #072694 (had it since 1987) and to me this makes my decision a no-brainer if it happens.
The hits just keep on coming.
I have been to the museum several times and I just can't imagine it being gone. What could possibly be NHRA's reasoning?:(:(

<thread derail warning>

Darr, I have wondered about your sig line. It seems to me that the empty seat is in fact out buying a hot dog... :)

And you're assuming it doesn't :D

According to most people here, if you look during the fuel classes every seat is filled, and during the super classes every seat is empty. :rolleyes:

And with all the empty seats you have probably seen in the Nationals event grandstands on ESPN2, were they out at the toilet during the fuel sessions or grabbing a corndog while there was nitro and noise on the dragstrip? :rolleyes:

I'll keep it the way it is, enough of the derailing...

Last edited:
If we can go back to the orignal discussion.

I was going to write up another long, drawn out post about my disgust for what is happening to this sport; but what's the point? All of us can cry and piss and moan about NHRA until we are blue in the face, but sadly it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. NHRA must not care what anybody thinks. We have tried, protests, anger, petitions, and even logic. Let's face facts, it all means nothing. These people at NHRA are going to do what they want, when they want, and how they want, to fatten their pockets and ruin Drag Racing as we know it. I am truly sad about what they've done to my sport.

So go ahead, close your damn Museum, sell the cars, or crush 'em, or do what ever the hell you want with 'em. Their only important parts of the history of Drag Racing. But I'm not concerned about history and Drag Racing anymore, because if this insanity isn't reigned in pretty soon, history is all Drag Racing will be.

Dave:(

BTW, Garlits started a Drag Racing Museum before you clowns did.

Why would NHRA need to move/close the museum? The answer is very simple, because outside of 2 weekends a year no one goes. It is a money loser. Petersen could be a better long term option if they get their own display room, can rotate fresh cars in and out, they will be in front of a lot more eyeballs and receive a lot more exposure. So ask yourself what is better, all your cars in a building where no one sees them at an enormous cost, or some of your cars in a multi-themed automotive museum with lots more traffic and maybe even generating income?

IMO the cars are what's important, not some building that's barely 10 years old that no one ever goes to and can feel no real sense of nostalgia for.

Chris, There is a cruise night there every week in the summer, plus the Fairplex has lots of other events (Swap Meet, L.A. County Fair, Car shows etc) which brings foot traffic in.

Chris, There is a cruise night there every week in the summer, plus the Fairplex has lots of other events (Swap Meet, L.A. County Fair, Car shows etc) which brings foot traffic in.

There is a Twilight Cruise Night usually on the first Wednesday of the month with free admission to the Museum. Not much foot traffic during the rest of the month and it is open during the Los Angeles County Fair - $1 Museum entry with Fair admission.

I'm just curious if the folks who donated or loaned cars to the museum have any say in this matter?

I'm just curious if the folks who donated or loaned cars to the museum have any say in this matter?

I wonder if KB's car that went 301 is a loaner or owned by the museum. I wouldn't mine seeing that car in Ocala and Big's museum if this one is going away.

I wonder if KB's car that went 301 is a loaner or owned by the museum. I wouldn't mine seeing that car in Ocala and Big's museum if this one is going away.

Big's Museum is AWESOME. It was pretty full of people when I went in December/January. Thumbing through the guest book, I even saw the autograph of one "Rapid" Randy Baker.

If they close the Museum they will obviously save money. Now they can put that extra coin into the event purses. I mean, where else would they put it?:rolleyes:

Dave

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back