BIG Changes for 2010? (2 Viewers)

WOW... I'm stunned but not completely surprised - this was the worst-kept secret in drag racing (love the internet)... I don't know what to make of this.

At first blush it looks like IHRA is pandering to the "bubba's" out there who can't be bothered to learn anything about the sport and just show up for the Fri/Sat "Night of Fire" to swill beer and brag to their buddies about how awesome that nitro FC is (when it was really a blown Pro Mod) and then go home. The true fans seem to be left out in the cold - the ones who appreciate qualifying and REAL competition.

It'd be nice to see A/FD's but I think next year's Rockies (oh sorry, I guess they'll be known as the "Edmonton Nitro Jam") could be sadly lacking. I'll probably go anyway because I'm loyal and/or stupid but I'll always pine for the glory days of 2006/2007 when we had big fields in all classes and great competition. Maybe time to go back to Seattle for my fix...

It's unfortunately the dumbing down of drag racing. The fact that they feel the need to fit it within a 3-hour time frame. It is a professional match race. If it brings more people to enjoy Nitro, and it becomes a teaser for "real" racing, then great. Time will tell. I am not against it. i am happy to watch how it unfolds.

I just remember when I was a kid, you couldn't tear me away from the track. 6, 7 8, 9, more hours? All I wanted to do was be at the track watching racing!

it's almost like IHRA is saying "pro mod and pro stock go ahead and race somewhere else now!" ... just think, since the 1980's mountain motor pro stock made IHRA a house hold name , then pro mod elevated IHRA to it's status of the late 90's and early 2000's ..... now they get dumped for good old fashioned booked in two run deals.

Can someone explain to me why a track would "hire" and "pay" IHRA when they could just book in the drivers themselves? Am I missing something here?

To me, this sounds exactly like what everyone thought:

IHRA = DEAD

Can someone explain to me why a track would "hire" and "pay" IHRA when they could just book in the drivers themselves? Am I missing something here?

IHRA = DEAD

Your right.i think thats exactly what track owners will do Justin! from what I hear, MIR has already said they won't be back on the IHRA schedule next year! no more Presidents Cup !:mad:

IHRA = DEAD

Exactly. What they are selling is a series of match races with enough jet trucks, wheelstanders, fire-breathing robots and bearded ladies to make the gate.

I hope the people behind the new AHRA know what they are doing. Opportunity just knocked and there are fans and tracks that still want real drag racing.

You may think this looks bad for IHRA at first blush,but if the people will pick a community organizer for President they will surely flock to a "dumbed down" drag racing extravaganza. Glitz wins:eek: Purists lose:(

IHRA = DEAD

If it was so easy, they would've already been doing it.

At first blush it looks like IHRA is pandering to the "bubba's" out there who can't be bothered to learn anything about the sport and just show up for the Fri/Sat "Night of Fire" to swill beer and brag to their buddies about how awesome that nitro FC is (when it was really a blown Pro Mod) and then go home. The true fans seem to be left out in the cold - the ones who appreciate qualifying and REAL competition.

Well if they been watching John Force Racing...they should already be broken in.

it's almost like IHRA is saying "pro mod and pro stock go ahead and race somewhere else now!" ... just think, since the 1980's mountain motor pro stock made IHRA a house hold name , then pro mod elevated IHRA to it's status of the late 90's and early 2000's ..... now they get dumped for good old fashioned booked in two run deals.

have you seen the amount of cars in these classes showing up at IHRA national events? Not many have had full fields as most of these guys have gone ADRL racing....so it seems to me the people in these classes have made there choice and that is fine....they still have somewhere to go race as the ADRL is getting bigger

Just read the 2010 IHRA format. Sounds like they may be on to something...
While 3hrs. sounds a bit short to me, I'll reserve final judgment till I see an event.

Several here seem doubtful about "Booked In Shows" being successful...just look at Norwalks 4th of July night of fire shows, or Cordova with their "World Series of Dragracing" been goin on 50+years.

Just read the 2010 IHRA format. Sounds like they may be on to something...
While 3hrs. sounds a bit short to me, I'll reserve final judgment till I see an event.

Several here seem doubtful about "Booked In Shows" being successful...just look at Norwalks 4th of July night of fire shows, or Cordova with their "World Series of Dragracing" been goin on 50+years.

Zappy, we know booked in shows can be successful. Thats not what we are saying. What I am saying is why would a track pay IHRA to come in and do it when they could just do it themselves. They dont need IHRA.

IHRA = DEAD

Because most track operators are not promoters today. Most feel that if they book in a couple of cars (and they usually pick the cheapest) the spectators will come running. They don't. It is the promotion end that they need and will be paying for.

A formula that has been packing smaller tracks for a few years by IHRA is being expanded for larger venues now. It is going to allow everyone to make a little money now; the sanctioning body, the track, and most importantly the racers.

A South Carolina track used IHRA for some Nite of Fire events and packed the house each time, having to actually turn away spectators. They felt they learned enough and put on their own event with more nitro cars, very few spectators showed up and they lost money. That is why they will use IHRA in the future.

Other track operators have seen this happen at their place or competitor's tracks. If they are wise, they will use the IHRA and their system.

Because most track operators are not promoters today. Most feel that if they book in a couple of cars (and they usually pick the cheapest) the spectators will come running. They don't. It is the promotion end that they need and will be paying for.

A formula that has been packing smaller tracks for a few years by IHRA is being expanded for larger venues now. It is going to allow everyone to make a little money now; the sanctioning body, the track, and most importantly the racers.

A South Carolina track used IHRA for some Nite of Fire events and packed the house each time, having to actually turn away spectators. They felt they learned enough and put on their own event with more nitro cars, very few spectators showed up and they lost money. That is why they will use IHRA in the future.

Other track operators have seen this happen at their place or competitor's tracks. If they are wise, they will use the IHRA and their system.

Ok Virgil, let me ask you this. What does the IHRA do that a regular track owner with a half decent promotional team couldnt do? Radio, tv, newspaper, billboards, etc. I just dont see this being a way for IHRA to survive. I hope they do, I like IHRA and I dont want them to go anywhere but I just dont see it lasting.

There's no pro mod, pro stock, etc. Just a few fuel cars. No qualifying, no real racing, nothing. There's no way a pro mod or pro stock team will commit to IHRA now. Thats the 2 main classes that made IHRA what it was. I am a die hard drag racing fan and I promise you I would not pay to go see a nitro jam event right now under this current format.

When I booked my groups like CIFCA, Southern Fuel Coupes and our nostalgia cars, the first things most tracks said to me were we can't draw spectators and/or the local community won't support us. I would usually lease the track, get a lot of local support with paid displays, co-op advertising and end up drawing a very large crowd. Businesses that we displayed at were usually pleasantly surprised at the foot traffic that is produced from the display.

IHRA does similar things. They have done it before and have a system. They take the negativity of the track operator out of the equation, work up excitment and anticipation in the local community (who is the tracks customers, not the internet fans) and then put on a tight, exciting show. They keep costs verses income in line. From experience they know the values, what works and what doesn't, what draws and what doesn't. I think you will be surprised at the success and how this will benefit everyone that participates, even the fans.

At the national events I have participated in, most fans do not know who has won, who is supposed to run next round, and usually end up leaving before the final as they really don't care who the winner will be. Seems they are drawing bigger crowds for qualifying now than eliminations.

At the booked in shows I have done it is basically the same way. They want to see some excitment, be wowed for a couple of hours and be on their way.

WOW... I'm stunned but not completely surprised - this was the worst-kept secret in drag racing (love the internet)... I don't know what to make of this.

It'd be nice to see A/FD's but I think next year's Rockies (oh sorry, I guess they'll be known as the "Edmonton Nitro Jam") could be sadly lacking. I'll probably go anyway because I'm loyal and/or stupid but I'll always pine for the glory days of 2006/2007 when we had big fields in all classes and great competition. Maybe time to go back to Seattle for my fix...

I don't travel to Edmonton for the booked in shows and I'm not traveling to Edmonton for this. Its been a tough year for drag racing but this is the worst news yet.

PETER DE VITA: What would you do if the turnout you had in the pro categories included a small group of second echelon competitors incapable of putting on a first rate show? More importantly, without Funny Cars of any kind this was bound to happen sooner or later. Like it or not, it may be the salvation of IHRA as a company – but not as a sanctioning body as we know the term.

P.J.SAPIENZA: Once again PJ is pretty much on target. We may not like it, but he has a valid point.

DARR HAWTHORNE: Darr is also right. This may turn off the purists, but it doesn’t appear as if IHRA’s management had much choice.

DOUG FINCH: Edmonton may do well at the gate, but what about the other venues?

JERRY NEWMAN: Bader still owns 25% of the organization. What do you think it’s worth right now? And I don’t think he’s interested in giving it another go.

DOUG FINCH: I think you have to face up to the fact that most fans not only don’t know much about the inner workings of drag racing, they don’t care. They’re only out there for the show aspects. Give ‘em noise, smoke and excitement and they’re happy. The percentage of true hard core fans who understand the nuances of the different classes is in steady decline.

BILL ANDERSON: “The dumbing down of drag racing.” Absolutely true.

BRUCE MULLINS: Like it or not, the “value” of any class is what it can attract in paying spectators, and if Pro Mod and Pro Stock aren’t attracting the fans, why have them? When Bill Bader was approached about adopting the Pro Stock Truck class he had the right response: Why would we want yet another eliminator that’s boring to watch and runs mid-seven second times? If the Trucks put on a real show, with wheelstanding starts and some excitement, we might consider it, but not as it’s currently structured.

JUSTIN LEAGUE: Good point!

MIKE MINICK: There are other reasons than the ADRL for competitors not showing up for IHRA races, and don’t mean a lack of funds. I have heard a litany of complaints about some IHRA employees and how they deal with their competitors, and that eventually has ramifications.

VIRGIL HARTMAN: His first paragraph is absolutely true.

JUSTIN LEAGUE: Sorry, Justin, but you aren’t the average demographic, so you don’t count! You’re too hard core. This is about the average guy off the street who might be positively impacted by some sort of radio or TV spot. Right now lots of people don’t go to IHRA races because they don’t have Funny Cars – but others show up because they didn’t realize that going in.

When you go to an NHRA race you expect a full field of cars in the pro categories you’re familiar with. I’m sure a lot of IHRA fans went to races in ’09 expecting the same thing – and left disappointed or angry because they didn’t see a full show.

Jon Asher

I see this as Wednesday Night at Raceway Park NJ. PC Richards night of thrills. I have been to more national events than I care to count and guess what my wife & kids love the Wednesday Night deal better. The head count at Raceway Park rivals that of any national event I ever seen. So, I don't like it as an old fashion purest but as Virgil said you got to pay the bills. Very Sad.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back