IHRA to crown winner in Qualifying (1 Viewer)

Justin it has me befuddled......What's the point to crown a winner of qualifing for each day??? It says here that people going to the races on Saturday and Sunday don't get to see a winner so this gives them one????? Why do they need one? Don't they know that Friday and Saturday are qualifing days? Are they gonna hand out a Iron Man for Friday and Saturday? If so doesn't that dillute the point of winning a Iron Man?

I am with you Gary, I think this is retarded. I'm open to idea's about making qualifying better but I dont care for this one. And then to add pts to it. I dont know.

Huh...

I don't get it. If there are 20 cars can there be 5-10 "last men standing" each day? It's not like they are going to make more than the 2 runs, right?

Plus, I can't imagine the points being enough encentive to get drivers to pedal the car during qualifying and possibly hurt more parts.

I must be missing something.

Huh...

I don't get it. If there are 20 cars can there be 5-10 "last men standing" each day? It's not like they are going to make more than the 2 runs, right?

Plus, I can't imagine the points being enough encentive to get drivers to pedal the car during qualifying and possibly hurt more parts.

I must be missing something.

Nope Jay, I read it the same way. I didnt get the last man standing deal either since it says each pair will have a winner. Its like qualifying pts but you already get qualifying pts. This is almost as dumb as nhra's fake pt system.

since both IHRA and NHRA nitro fields are often barely full, there's very rarely any drama in qualifying and anything is better than run after run of one or two nitro cars coasting down the drag strip after an aborted run. I can no longer watch qualifying on tv when it originally airs because it is a major bore. I tivo it and fast forward thru the broadcast in about 20 minutes. I wish they would do some kinda Chicago style format on fri and sat and make the racing a little more meaningful for the fans.

jf

I think they are trying to create a bit of the match race format and the points help insure teams run those night time qualifying sessions when the stands are full. I do not think it will change the actual racing much, other than the incentive to make another run when already qualified, but gives the announcers something to crow about to the crowd. I actually think when it all plays out it will be pretty cool. Not really any downside to it, other than being different.

If you remember how close some of the championship points were last year, the bonus points for these sessions could make a huge difference.

Last year every Professional car that made a run during the "Night of Fire" earned five bonus points. This year, only the Friday and Saturday "Last Man Standing" in each category will get the bonus points.

- Larry

I had to read it twice, it seems its a whole loota hoopla just to say that they're going to give the low et for the Friday and Sat night session a bonus 5 points, big deal. I don't get the deal about them claiming its side by side racing with red lights and such being in effect, unless if you red light and run low et then it will not count???

So does that mean if a driver is not qualified but then in sat night session runs low et, yet red lights that it doesn't count and they're not in the show??

I'm lost. I went to a Sat ihra race and I don't know what it is but the vibe is much different there. People actually sat to watch more of the sportsmen level classes, the atmosphere was different. I can't explain it and its not to say nhra has a bad atmosphere but there was just something more fun and exciting about the ihra sat night. I don't see where bonus points for qualifying hurting I guess.

If they red light Sat. night and run low Et thay are racing Sun. but not getting the bonus points. Thats how I read it.

Tony, whats the latest. Any sponsor news? Any sort of a schedule finalized? Going to be in San Antonio?

I had to read it twice, it seems its a whole loota hoopla just to say that they're going to give the low et for the Friday and Sat night session a bonus 5 points, big deal. I don't get the deal about them claiming its side by side racing with red lights and such being in effect, unless if you red light and run low et then it will not count???

So does that mean if a driver is not qualified but then in sat night session runs low et, yet red lights that it doesn't count and they're not in the show??

I'm lost. I went to a Sat ihra race and I don't know what it is but the vibe is much different there. People actually sat to watch more of the sportsmen level classes, the atmosphere was different. I can't explain it and its not to say nhra has a bad atmosphere but there was just something more fun and exciting about the ihra sat night. I don't see where bonus points for qualifying hurting I guess.
I agree PJ, Sat night IHRA is alot more fun. I try to get to both of them here in MI. My wife even enjoys going :)

I agree PJ, Sat night IHRA is alot more fun. I try to get to both of them here in MI. My wife even enjoys going :)

we've done martin the last 2 season. Even though I'm close to Milan something always seems to come up that weekend.

I re-read it again and I still dont exactly understand it. Which is it?

Say there are 10 top fuel cars on hand. So out of every pair who ever gets to the finish line first wins just like on race day, not the one with the quickest et. This is where I get confused.

Do all 5 pair winners get 5 pts or just the quickest et wise winner of the 5 pair winners?

Pretty simple. I think it's a good way to avoid 500ft blurps at lower car count events. I like it myself.

This also tends to get rid of the long delays by some drivers, who wait until the other car gets to half track before launching - makes for a better show and that's what it is really about. Since the night qualifying sessions are IHRA's big draws, IHRA management is trying to make sure the crowds get a good show.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back