BIG Changes for 2010? (1 Viewer)

For survival it may not be bad if they did a road show.

Take a jet (s) wheelstanders.

Take 2-4 Nitro dragsters and funny cars
Grab a few nastalgia nitro cars
mix in pro mod.

They could make a couple of these groupings and have them travel a region, doing Saturday night shows. The local track could mix in some bracket events to fill it out. This would be a great way to bring these types of cars to some of the not big enough for national event type of tracks.

It would cease to be a points gaining endevor then, but they'd still be out there racing and hopefully makin money.

Last edited:
Wait until you see it listed on CraigsList. :confused:

lol........

You know.. some people do big changes because they have to.. some people do changes becasue they think this "new way".. will work great..... if this is a change for a "great new way" of doing things.. they might want to talk to the head of Coke Cola about the "New Coke" and how it worked.....

IMO....

Billy

lol........

You know.. some people do big changes because they have to...

Billy it is obvious that Feld Entertainment is attempting to provide a single day of "Nitro Entertainment" that takes place on a dragstrip, there's nothing wrong with that, but it will probably turn off the drag racing purists. There is a whole new market out there for this kind of single day show, it worked for IHRA in Salt Lake City earlier this year and it won't compete with the NHRA Big Show. It works at ADRL and it works at PINKS all out!

Last edited:
Billy it is obvious that Feld Entertainment is attempting to provide a single day of "Nitro Entertainment" that takes place on a dragstrip, there's nothing wrong with that, but it will probably turn off the drag racing purists. There is a whole new market out there for this kind of single day show, it worked for IHRA in Salt Lake City earlier this year and it won't compete with the NHRA Big Show. It works at ADRL and it works at PINKS all out!

I think you are exactly right. IHRA doesn't usually have big crowds on Friday or Sunday anyways, so as long as they can sell the place out on Saturday and still have their sportsman classes, the IHRA will do fine. In fact, Feld's bottom line may go up, which is probably all he cares about anyways. I really hate to see the IHRA go this way and search the message boards everyday hoping someone who respects the history and tradition of the IHRA and drag racing will come in and "save" them. However, if not, the IHRA will continue to sanction racetracks, sell memberships, run sportsman events, and sell out Nitro Jam events on Saturday nights just like they always have - it just won't be the show most of us probably wish it was. And it will likely all be done with less overhead and headaches for the owner and more profitable for him and the tracks. I don't think the IHRA is going anywhere no matter what they do.

Well, THIS fan of the "I" is hoping that this is not the case. Speaking for the Edmonton event, we have huge Friday and Sunday crowds - I kind of dread Saturday for all the "yahoo's" that come for one day and think they know the sport...

However, given the short fields we've had the last few years, maybe having a guaranteed # of cars might be better. Naahh, this year's event was great even though it was pretty much an all-Canadian national event (except for the few regulars and title contenders who could afford to make the trip).

IHRA Pro Match Racing ? It's a sad commentary on the cost vs lack of sponsorship for Drag Racing !
That B. Smith with all that exposure cannot get a title sponsor speaks volumes.
Sportsman racing though down in count is still healthy which is good for the future !
The need for speed is alive and well !
Goodguys is expecting 500 less cars at the TMS event the first week of October .
Spend dough, take kids, ensure there is a future in motorsports and customs !

Your right on one thing for sure Darr... purists will be and are (myself) turned off by the direction it seems to be headed...

IMO.....

I am going to say this about the new direction.. while the test run in Utah did work.. it should have there was no excuse for it not ot work... friend of mine pt it best... you take a Monkey and a football and put them in a field in an area that has never seen what a monkey does to a football in person.. only caught it on tv.... you can and will sell tickets.. the question is how many times will they come back?

I've said this before...but... Everyone screams to back this deal on how great match race events work for many tracks.. they are right match race work fantastic for tracks.. Norwalk and the NoF... Cordova and the World Series of Drag racing... are tow great examples.....but look at what they do and whats forseen to be coming.... look at the teams booked in for Norwalk and Cordova....look at the names/teams.... i like alot of the teams and talked to alot of the teams that run the IHRA pro Classes.. but they are not the same draw potential....(other than Pro Mods) plus they don't have to split the gate... they know their area fans well and know how to promote it....

if this is what they are going to then more power to them.. i just hope it doesn't bite the teams that are part of it.... IMO....

Billy

PS.. i was a fan fo the IHRA from 1975(my first IHRA event) till the end of 2008...

Last edited:
Hell, if it's going to be a booked in match race, New England does that pretty well on their own. What the hell do they need the IHRA for?:mad:

Hell, if it's going to be a booked in match race, New England does that pretty well on their own. What the hell do they need the IHRA for?:mad:

You know James, any other year and I would have disagreed with you, however this year they did an OUTSTANDING job and I hope that it continues!

...What the hell do they need the IHRA for?.......
That is what a lot of track operators are telling the Nitro guys they are booking for next year.
I think IHRA is gone after 2010 from the Feld group, maybe Bader will pick-up the pieces for free ?
Who wants the sportsman deal anyways ? There are many new racing series for door cars.

IHRA can't be IHRA if they just book in shows. That is a track owner thing to fill up a empty weekend. Booked in shows with the same cars that are currently showing up don't bring any specators now, why would they show up if they are "booked in".

This is really sad. I really enjoyed my time racing IHRA, it is a great place to race and be a part of. I can't believe the spectator count this year compared to 2006, the last year I raced. I hope someone has some answers.

What really floors me is ADRL packs the stands and there is no Nitro in the pits whatsoever......so hats off to Kenny Knowling. You don't need Nitro to fill the stands. I was never a fan of calling IHRA, the NITRO Jam when there were 16 cars racing on sunday with NITRO in the tank, and now there is only 8.

If I were IHRA, I would add a 10 tire class, separate Pro Mod, and drop the ticket prices in the dirt so people can afford to show up. Drag Race fans are working class people and they can't afford a $500 trip to the drag strip because the IHRA or NHRA for that matter, is in town. It seems as though ADRL has it all figured out, but what is keeping them alive is the ticket price.......$0.00. We all can afford to pay that at the gate, even though parking is $25.00. Pack 5 guys in a car and it's $5 per guy, how can you not show up to watch that.

Good Luck IHRA, we don't want to see you fall apart, but some thing has to be done. NHRA is in trouble too, these are bad times and people don't have any money to show up. I hope both these sanction bodies weather the storrm, especially IHRA.

Good Luck,

Tony

Tony,

It's pretty scary to see what they have planned for next year... On a different note we need to get you in an ADRL car since cutting lights wins the majority of races 1/8 mile ;) Hope the kids are doing well.

Doug

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back