Any info on this car? (1 Viewer)

He tried to qualify at Sonoma last year in TAD... DNQ The car is very funny looking in person, like that pic makes it look like a Ferrari...:D My question is, if something goes wrong... Will he be the last to know? or the first??:eek:
I'll try to find his name for you...

EDIT!! I'm not sure that is the same car or not, now that I look at it... It was a TAD, but maybe they switched motors and classes... Dunno!!

Last edited:
Mark Foster was the name of the driver at Sonoma '06' in TAD... That is not a TAD motor though...

This goes back a ways, but a guy named Diamond Dave ran a very short top fuel car for a bit designed much like that car. Driver way forward and engine way back. Anybody remember seeing Diamond Dave's fuel dragster. I think it was legislated into extinction with an NHRA ruling for a minimum wheelbase for TF. Could be wrong there. Anyone else remember?

Drag Racer Magazine ran a spread on this car a few years ago- I think it was in a Top Dragster class in the article, but it had a different powerplant.

If you go to Drag racing photos by Auto Imagery and type in Mark Foster, they have about 10 pics of that car... I'm not sure it is the same one though...

And if I remember right... Diamond Dave qualified for that US NATS...:D

Last edited:
I remember watching Diamond Dave's T/F car at Indy, probably '79. It had a very short wheelbase, but not the huge space between the engine & driver. I believe the car in the picture has a fairly long wheelbase, but they moved the driver all the way to the front. It looks like the car that ran last year in TAD, I think with an injected fuel motor.

There are actually two cars, one is a Top Alcohol Dragster, the other runs in Super Comp. I saw the first few runs by the TAD version and they were pretty wild - the steering was way too quick and, sitting over the front axle the driver was over-steering. Whatever the idea behind it, the unusual design hasn't caught on.

The TAD deal is completely different.
This car had a different engine combo last time I saw it. The guy was trying to sell them as a bracket car that was better in every way than a typical dragster. He had a web-site trying to sell them. Had all of his ideas of why it was better than a traditional dragster. I will try and find it. This was about two years back. Looks like it has not taken off.

REASONS TO BUY MY IDEA-
A. Tire shake is all behind you...;)
B. You are the first one to the scene of the crash...:eek:
C. I need money...:D
D. You to can have the ugliest car at the track...:p
E. A real head turner...

Last edited:
This goes back a ways, but a guy named Diamond Dave ran a very short top fuel car for a bit designed much like that car. Driver way forward and engine way back. Anybody remember seeing Diamond Dave's fuel dragster. I think it was legislated into extinction with an NHRA ruling for a minimum wheelbase for TF. Could be wrong there. Anyone else remember?

When Richard Langson tried to qualify for the winternationals, or world finals a few years back in T/F with his Texas Ranger AA/FA (I can't remember exactly when or what event, it was at pomona, I do know that), the NHRA didn't like the popularity of the AA/FA over the T/F cars, then NHRA mandated the 180" minimum wheelbase rule to prevent AA/FA's from entering T/F.

Saw Diamond Dave run his shorty car at the Summernationals 19??. Performance was nothing to get excited about but it sure looked different!

A couple of years ago I had an ad on racingjunk for a truck driver just because a driver willing to relocate to our area would have been making very good money and home on weekends where there are 6 bracket tracks within two hours drive. That guy was one of the people who called me and we talked for a good bit. He was running super comp with it at the time, living in California. I think he was also the inventor of the cool vest thing. Definitely a creative, open-minded thinker.

That car used to get me as an example of the differences in tech inspections, depending on one inspector's interepretation over another's. I had an inspector "not like" the fact that my deflector plate sat a few inches further back behind the driver's compartment than most, because of my MW chassis design and the fuel cell I was using. LOL, seemed to me the thing sitting closer to the engine would give it more of a chance to "deflect"...ahem. I remember that car not having one at all, and he said they highly scrutinized it before allowing it in because it was so different.

Last edited:
Dave Miller was the owner of a short-wheel based fuel dragster...went to the semis during the 86-87??? (not exactly sure) US nats and went to the semis and almost took out Amato....great personality he had.....I think Frank Cook was tuning....

The Super Comp car was designed so that it is supposedly easier to judge the finish line.

It does look like it would be a bear to drive, because of your position in the car relative to the front wheels.

LT Bruce Braxton
S/C 2506
"Anybody in Div 2 need a driver???"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back