America's Drinking Laws (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
President George Bush is wiIIing to send US Armed Forces to their deaths in lraq and Afghanistan, the majority of the Army and Marines on the ground fighting the insurgents are approx 19 yrs of age.

But when they return home to the United States they can't buy alcohol to celebrate because they have be at least 21 years of age to purchase alcohol.

You all support your troops in times of war, isn't it time you got this out-dated law voted out in your state or all the states.

In the UK anyone at least 18 years of age CAN purchase alcohol.

John.

Personally, I think they should raise it, drinking was so much more exciting for me when I was underage than it is now that I'm of age. :D

I agree with ya Jenn! I think it should be raised because there are still some individuals out there that are still not mature at 21 to handle a drink!!!

NO JUST FROM NOSEY ENGLISHMEN:rolleyes:

Here Here PJ...

Did my service, could drink anywhere overseas... and I was 21 when I got back to the WORLD... not that I didn't drink more in high school than I did after I joined the canoe club...

and living in a Naval town, let's say that home coming partys can be interesting... it ain't alky the guys want, it's meow-meow-meow:D

Actually, if we has one age for drinking, voting, getting married, and being drafted it would simplify things.

In my opinion, that age should be 19 as "most" 19 year old people are out of high school. Colleges could have separate freshman dorms to minimize the problems.

It makes no sense that a person can get married, raise a family, vote for President and die in a war but they can't have a drink and it speaks volumes about insecure attitudes to allow such a division of perceived responsibility when it comes to our young people. I guess the person carrying a gun in combat and making life or death decisions doesn't have the judgement to know whether or not they can drink a beer? What type of message does that send to our youth?

Actually, if we has one age for drinking, voting, getting married, and being drafted it would simplify things.

In my opinion, that age should be 19 as "most" 19 year old people are out of high school. Colleges could have separate freshman dorms to minimize the problems.

It makes no sense that a person can get married, raise a family, vote for President and die in a war but they can't have a drink and it speaks volumes about insecure attitudes to allow such a division of perceived responsibility when it comes to our young people. I guess the person carrying a gun in combat and making life or death decisions doesn't have the judgement to know whether or not they can drink a beer? What type of message does that send to our youth?

Could be that you could drink a 3-2 beer at the E-club on base when I was in.
let's see, voting age was dropped to 18 in 1972, was 21 before that... and as far as I know, no one over in the sand can drink... nor can you drink on board a Navy Ship... or at work, or operating a motor vehicle.... as far as 'Underage" drinking, I'll plead the fifth...

John...You are fighting an uphill battle here on this site....There are many talented/educated people here but most agree/follow everyone else as to be liked/accepted...
As much as I love USA the majority of people are very clueless to what is happening in business/public education/ and foreign policies/etc so they do not question much.
I for one enjoy your post(s) and agree w/ you...Keep it up...

But you want 19 yr old service personnel to die for your country to protect it from terrorism?

Do I want anybody to die for my country? No, of course not, but I recognize and honor my country's armed forces for their sacrifices that they made.

That is a ridiculous and asinine statement if I've ever seen one.

Last edited:
For some people, driving, voting, owning a firearm or drinking shouldn't be allowed at any age!
But laws are set and when a law is found to need an adjustment it is usually made.

Im going to post an off topic subject here that hasnt been spoke about yet. As a 19 year old male, i agree that 21 is a fair age for drinking legally. I think 18 is a good year for us to be seen as "adults" where we can but tobacco products, vote, fight for our country and whatnot. That ONLY law concerning age that i think needs to be changed is that 16 year olds should NOT be able to drive at 16. I believe that needs to be bumped to 18...

John...You are fighting an uphill battle here on this site....There are many talented/educated people here but most agree/follow everyone else as to be liked/accepted...
As much as I love USA the majority of people are very clueless to what is happening in business/public education/ and foreign policies/etc so they do not question much.
I for one enjoy your post(s) and agree w/ you...Keep it up...

Terry,

One of the wonderful things about THIS country is that you are FREE to leave at ANY time! I am sick and tired of you insulting the intelligence of the members and guests of this site. That is your constitutional right to do so, but it is also MY constitutional right to fire back!!! How dare you call ME a "follower"! I don't have to jump on any other individuals opinion to be, as you say............. "liked/accepted". #2- How dare you call ME........."Clueless"!!! I will be happy to question anything you say as far as business/public education/ and foreign policies / etc..............

When you post excrement like that, please be prepared to "Squeeze the Charmin". I happen to have a coupon for Charmin! I will be happy to send it to you. I for one would appreciate it if you do not speak for "Many, most or a majority" of us.

Remember..................you said you would work on your "delivery" of your responses!!! You promised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess since we don't tolerate under age kids getting Plastered on Booze that we don't care for our Soldiers....:rolleyes:

President George Bush is wiIIing to send US Armed Forces to their deaths in lraq and Afghanistan, the majority of the Army and Marines on the ground fighting the insurgents are approx 19 yrs of age.

But when they return home to the United States they can't buy alcohol to celebrate because they have be at least 21 years of age to purchase alcohol.

You all support your troops in times of war, isn't it time you got this out-dated law voted out in your state or all the states.

In the UK anyone at least 18 years of age CAN purchase alcohol.

John.

I saw some anti-war protestors set up in a college town in Connecticut today. I couldn't help thinking how ironic it was that wars and previous leaders sending people to their deaths, as you call it, GAVE them the ability to protest.

Were and are you as vocal about tyrants such as Saddam who have sent MANY more of their own citizens to their deaths, many being tortured and being forced to watch their family members being tortured along the way? How many people are STARVING in North Korea right now? How many of those people are sent to their deaths by their leader? Would you rather be shot, blown up, or starved to death?

Had our country not fought for it's independence from the countries that tried to control it when it did, who would have stopped Hitler and Japan? What flags might we all be flying today? Would we be able to sit here and do this without fearing for our lives and the lives of our families?

Don't you think it's kind of simple to complain about the negatives that are going to be in any policy, regardless of what might be a net saving of human life in the long run?

That would be like the anti-gun people complaing about an accidental shooting when concealed carry is voted in, ignoring lower net deaths due to fewer crimes being commited.

Im going to post an off topic subject here that hasnt been spoke about yet. As a 19 year old male, i agree that 21 is a fair age for drinking legally. I think 18 is a good year for us to be seen as "adults" where we can but tobacco products, vote, fight for our country and whatnot. That ONLY law concerning age that i think needs to be changed is that 16 year olds should NOT be able to drive at 16. I believe that needs to be bumped to 18...

Thank you for your input Steven, it's nice to see somebody who is under the age of 21 to make a statement, it shows that you have a sense if responsibility in my opinion (I admit, I did drink when I was underage, but I never over drank and never drove after I'd had a drink).

Some states are bumping the age for driving to older ages, I think. I know my state has a graduated license program, which I got my license just before they instituted the program so I went from learner's permit to driver's license, but my mother did make me have my learner's permit longer than was required by law at the time. (Something about getting caught doing burnouts in the church parking lot made her think that I wasn't as responsible as she thought.)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back