U.S.terror level raised to highest - Severe (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
(Thank GOD the New York Times didn't hear about the ongoing investigation)

From CNN
Police: Plot to blow up aircraft foiled

Thursday, August 10, 2006; Posted: 6:24 a.m. EDT (10:24 GMT)

Passengers are being asked to put essential items in plastic bags.
Official: Plot a very serious threat (4:01)

Tight security announced at Heathrow (3:06)

Scotland Yard terror statement (2:37)

• Travel chaos as flights canceled
• UK raises threat level
• BAA security measures
• Richard Reid pleads guilty
SPECIAL REPORT

LONDON, England (CNN) -- British police say they have arrested 21 people in connection with a terrorist plot to blow up aircraft flying from the United Kingdom to the United States.

The plot was "intended to be mass murder on an unimaginable scale," Metropolitan Police Deputy Commissioner Paul Stephenson said. The UK's threat warning level has been raised to "critical" -- meaning "an attack is expected imminently."

London's Heathrow airport was closed to most European flights Thursday morning, causing chaos for thousands of travelers. The closure to incoming traffic at the world's busiest international airport applied to flights of three hours or less, a spokesman said. (Full story)

British and U.S. security agencies quickly moved to limit carry-on items, causing extended delays at airport security checkpoints. The British Airports Authority said no hand luggage would be allowed onto planes leaving UK airports. (Full story)

Stephenson said the plot involved a plan to blow up passenger jets flying between the United Kingdom and the United States.

He said 21 people were arrested by London, Birmingham and Thames Valley police overnight in an ongoing operation.

"This is about people who are desperate ... who want to do things that no right-minded citizen of this country or any other country would want to tolerate," Stephenson said.

The arrests were the result of a "covert counter-terrorist operation," police said. "It is believed that the aim was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on board the aircraft in hand luggage."

Britain's Home Secretary John Reid said: "We are doing everything possible to disrupt any other terrorist activity. This will mean major disruptions from all UK airports."

In the United States, the Department of Homeland Security raised the terror threat to the highest level of "severe," or red, for commercial flights originating in the United Kingdom bound for the United States

In addition, the threat level has been raised to "high," or orange for all commercial flights operating in or coming to the United States, a DHS statement said.

"Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on the airplane," the statement said."

A U.S. Transporation Safety Adminstration official said travelers should show up at least two hours ahead of their flights and bring plenty of patience. According to the DHS, there is no indication the plot involved American counterparts.

The alleged terror plot comes more than five years after Briton Richard Reid attempted to detonate explosives hidden in his sneakers on an American Airlines flight from Paris to Miami in December 2001, only a few months after the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York and Washington.

Passengers thwarted his plan, and the plane landed safely in Boston. Reid pleaded guilty to terrorism charges in October 2002 and is serving a life sentence at the nation's super-maximum security prison in Florence, Colorado.

Last edited:
Now the Drive-by media's claiming the Bush admin. knew of this plot but didn't alert the Nation! These guys will do anything to spin Natl. security!

Well, I am certainly glad that the Britains found out about it. I am sure there are hundreds of other plots out there and I hope more and more countries are diligent!!!!

What I find extremely funny is that the media is focusing more on the fact that there was a plot rather than the fact that the plot was foiled! Typical spin - the terrorists lose another round yet these a-holes in the media find a way to make it look like President Bush screwed up! Unreal...

I get to fly home tomorrow - perhaps I should leave for the airport now. He He He

Hey, anyone who can actually believe that 9/11 was an 'inside job' will come up with anything. We have a tv in our cafeteria, always on CNN. Because of pain, I have to sit down a few minutes before I come back upstairs. I was watching, and AirForce 1 was landing, and they said Bush was going to speak shortly, so I stayed a few minutes to watch. As he came walking out of the plane and down the steps...alone.... I just thought, "it's too bad that so many people hate this man more then the terrorists who want only to kill innocent people, Americans included".

His speech was short. He said what he's been saying since 9/11. Some people 'get it'. Too many do not. I guess we have to fight the war right here in America before they do. How pathetically sad for America.

As long as people are believing what they see & hear from the mainstream media, whose goal is to destroy this President, the entire country is at risk. God help us all.

I was listening to NPR when I first heard of this. A caller said something like 'we need to stay ahead of these terrorists.' I thought "Stay ahead of them?" We can't even catch up to them. They have more funds and less bureaucracy to impede their progress. They don't have the media constantly casting stumbling blocks in their paths. They are united in their efforts. They don't answer to anyone. They don't have to play partisan politics.

Let's hope they reduce this threat level before I leave for Indy. I'd hate to be considered a Terrorist for bringing Deodorant or Tooth paste on the plane.

Let's hope they reduce this threat level before I leave for Indy. I'd hate to be considered a Terrorist for bringing Deodorant or Tooth paste on the plane.

I hear ya - I'm leaving to go back home in about an hour & I'm not looking forward to the lines at the airport.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back