Al-Anabi out at AJR (1 Viewer)

Dubs

Nitro Member
BROWNSBURG, Ind. - - The Qatar Racing Club has terminated funding for all motorsports activities in North America. This decision includes the two-car Al-Anabi Racing Team operated by Alan Johnson Racing, the team announced today. The decision was made in the final days of 2014, and team members were notified this morning.

“We are obviously surprised and disappointed about this completely unexpected turn of events,” Alan Johnson Racing team owner Alan Johnson said. “Our plans for the 2015 NHRA season were nearing completion starting with pre-season testing next week in (West Palm Beach) Florida and the first race of the 2015 NHRA season a month from today in (Pomona) California. Many things are uncertain, and our situation is obviously still evolving. We are currently exploring our options, and we hope to have more news in the near future.”

I don't think Alan Johnson will race on his own dime, and his voice mail is probably full of job offers. I feel for the crew guys and staff.

I guess there are some Pro Mod guys left out also.

Let's see how this plays out. It is silly season after all and this may or may not be true.

EDIT: just saw a Competition Plus article on this, and I know they're spot on with their reporting in the sense they've never written anything that didn't turn out to be not true. I am taking nothing away with John Kernan's site, but I didn't see an article posted there

Wow, didn't see that coming. Could be due to oil price dropping.
Rick

How many times do you think JFR has called Alan by now?
Not sure John has the budget this year to pay Alan, last year I would say yes. I can think of 3 teams that can afford him (DSR, Kalitta, and Lucas), but does he want to be a crew chief again?

Not sure John has the budget this year to pay Alan, last year I would say yes. I can think of 3 teams that can afford him (DSR, Kalitta, and Lucas), but does he want to be a crew chief again?

There are many roles he could play aside from crew chief. And it's not as if he doesn't have other things he could do, he has AJPE to run, too.

I doubt that oil prices had anything to do with this. I'am in the oil business and Qatar is a very very insignificant player in the oil market and lower oil pricing has almost no effect on the countries income. They have the largest gas reserves in the world and are one of the largest producer/refiners/exporters of natural gas. Natural gas prices have not been effected by the fall in oil pricing.

If my memory is correct, which I'am not sure of some times, didn't Alan sign new multi-year contract last year? I would imagine there was a cancellation clause and possibly a cancellation penalty included.
Alan wouldn't run the cars out of his own pocket and there are very few teams that can afford him: Connie, DSR, Torrance family and the Gray family, don't think JFR has the money.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back