AA/FD Boycott? (1 Viewer)

As one of the three Funny Car teams that ran Bowling Green last year I applaud the Dragster guys for attempting to bring in more cars. Custom Floaters should be commended for paying out of pocket for the additional cars,kind of akin to the NHRA Pro Mod guys finding their own funding.The people at Custom Floaters are hardcore,along with those AA/FD teams.The only downside that I can think of is an additional number of cars will stretch the program out longer,which may be a concern for NHRA.

As one of the three Funny Car teams that ran Bowling Green last year I applaud the Dragster guys for attempting to bring in more cars. Custom Floaters should be commended for paying out of pocket for the additional cars,kind of akin to the NHRA Pro Mod guys finding their own funding.The people at Custom Floaters are hardcore,along with those AA/FD teams.The only downside that I can think of is an additional number of cars will stretch the program out longer,which may be a concern for NHRA.

The way I read into it, the AAFD believes the flopper car count will be minimal or nil for that race. They are seeking to replace the NFC time slot with additional NTF cars.

One would think the NHRA would really dig having a couple of extra AA/FD on hand for the
Bowling Green show, as a fan I can dig it. Hell Bowling Green is a 3 day event.
The very first PDA race at Lions, July 1967 was one day (Saturday).
Over 150 dragsters on hand for the race (AA/FD, Top Gas and Jr. Fuel)

AA/FD Forever!!!

In 2022, the races have four times the classes as in 1967. That is why the event is three days. Knock the class list back to 7.0 Pro, Jr. Fuel, A/Fuel, and Top Fuel, and you have a full day event.

There is currently 28 Heritage legal NTF car in the lower 48. There are an additional 7 that are inactive, and 5 more that are currently being built. A few of those will be on the track this year. Most of those cars are in the Midwest. A 16 car field is not an issue. NHRA allowing it and the extra money that the racers are building to the table is.

The only downside that I can think of is an additional number of cars will stretch the program out longer,which may be a concern for NHRA.

I don't believe that's the reason at all. What I do believe is NHRA doesn't want what might be considered to be an upstaging or a shaming by outside entities to happen. So you gotta run 4 rounds with 16 entries instead of 3; big deal. Takes an extra hour or so. Where's the love for the racers, the fans and the track owners, all of whom would benefit from this idea?

The NHRA has done many good things; it's what keeps professional drag racing going but damn if there aren't plenty of ostriches still on the payroll.

Not too many moons ago the AA/FD and AA/FC guys banded together and pushed for free car,driver and crew entry into the Heritage Series races,and got it.Reasoning was the NHRA advertising these two classes (as the NHRA should) as headline status to bring the fans in and the fuel racers felt (with good reason) paying good money to get in the gate was a bitter pill to swallow. The teams were able to save hundreds of dollars with free entry into the event like the NHRA Big Show stars. If I'm not mistaken the fuel racers have to pay to race at the March Meet though.
We have our entry in for our F/C for the Bowling Green race,so we shall see.

Sorry, let me rephrase that...

False. It is a Heritage series "national" event. No NOSTALGIA TOP FUELER is booked in...

I didn't say or imply the AA/FD did. The Fuel Altered guys have their own program that they run as a group (even thought there are sveral others out there competing).

Out here in the west, this weekend the N/FC guys will be in Boise for a Heritage Race.

Also several of the AA/FD, N/FC and AA/FA will be at Redding Motorsports Park way up near the Oregon border. The track has done a lot of improvement during the off season including putting down concrete the whole 1/4 mile. They've also put up a lot of money to bring the nitro cars out and seem to have met their quota. This should be interesting to see how the response is from the spectator side.

Regarding this issue with NHRA and the NHRR, my recolection is in the past, once the season starts with a certain class size (in this case 8 cars) NHRA will not alter it due to the points implications. Obviously, the competitors care less about points than growing their brand. In the meantime, other options are becoming more available for the racers like Funny Car Caos. The AA/FD guys in the mid-west have been doing what they can to promote their class and it seems to be taking off.

I'm sorry and a bit disappointed to hear about this "boycott" but I hope things can get worked out. All parties involved are good people who only want to do whats best for the sport and museum.

Update from Jimmi about 6am this morning;

NHRA update.. Bob Mclennan and myself both had over 45 minute conversations last night with Graham Light and the new event cordinator for the reunions. I’m not going to go into exact details of the conversation but it is now black and white obvious that we both have different views and priorities when it comes to how top fuel and the other classes are run at the reunions. It’s a shame this decision was made so late in the game because both Bobby and myself have been pushing this for now close to a year. Nhra wants to keep moving the goal post. I am in the process of finding another venue to host us for the same date and will be contacting every team today. The only way we can get any change is to stick together and not go to Bowling Green. We need to introduce our cars to a new fan base and now is the time.

I never understood the 8 car field deal. I attend the Igniter and Nightfire events at Firebird every year and the 8 car fields leave me wanting more, especially when there are often a dozen or more AA/FC on property. These guys make the long tow to get up here and the fans pay for a show, so why not put as many cars on track as possible?

I never understood the 8 car field deal. I attend the Igniter and Nightfire events at Firebird every year and the 8 car fields leave me wanting more, especially when there are often a dozen or more AA/FC on property. These guys make the long tow to get up here and the fans pay for a show, so why not put as many cars on track as possible?

Word is there are 11 FC at Boise this weekend. Don't know if they are going to pair them up on a 16 car field or not, but unless you have enough cars to complete the field I don't see why they would. Could also be they'll run the Tater field for non-qualifiers too.

Word on Facebook is the Great Expectation AA/FD will be at Bowling Green and will not support any boycotts or protests. Chances are there will be a few more showing up.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back