Teams boycotting?? (1 Viewer)

I know it;s apples and oranges again, but the money really sucks for winning in nhra:rolleyes:. Jimmie Johnson won 6.7 mill for being the Nextel champ, and a little over 17 mil for the year. Compaired to what? $500.000 for the powerade champ. Of coarse, he(johnson) had to work a whole lot harder also.:D

Last edited:
So I guess when a racer goes out it round one, he expects ESPN to head to their pit area and cover them packing up. Give me a break guys. Run up front equals get TV time. That's the way its always been.

So I guess when a racer goes out it round one, he expects ESPN to head to their pit area and cover them packing up. Give me a break guys. Run up front equals get TV time. That's the way its always been.

No but some racers get more coverage for losing round one, a dnq or hell even not being there then others can ever hope to get by winning the race

Amen, Brother Bullard! Poor ol' Doug Kalitta had to win a final to finally get interviewed amid the force and countdown coverage

Agreed however with that said there is a fine line. Coverage for all vs entertainment value. So called stars of the sports will get covered more, whatever the big story is or rumor will get the coverage.

John Force is usually gives a good interview so he will always get air time.

Look at football coverage. After the game who do they interview, The qb, running back or wide receviver. Occaisionally maybe a defender who really stood out. When's the last time the left guard was mobbed by reporters.

I'm not saying its right right, in fact I think in dr we tend to miss over due the stars and not allow new ones to grow but who ever is in the production truck thinks that there is more entertainent in the other direction.

We aren't far apart on our appraisal, PJ. I fully understand why the Force juggernaut gets lots of airtime althought I personally feel that it is way overdone. But what does trouble me is how many teams got very very little air time when there may have been a good story there (how bout urs urbacher and his trip to the US to try to qualify--that should have been worth one little interview--ditto Tolivers first successful qualilfying..etc etc. Granted, it's the John show, but if we want to increase viewer loyalty for the sport, they need to see more of the other drivers so they too can develop a following. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, PJ so forgive me--I just feel that between the inflated number of countdown only interviews and what I consider overkill on team force coverage (even way before the Ashley and John crashes) really hindered other teams getting coverage, and thus more fans and sponsors..
Just my two cents

We aren't far apart on our appraisal, PJ. I fully understand why the Force juggernaut gets lots of airtime althought I personally feel that it is way overdone. But what does trouble me is how many teams got very very little air time when there may have been a good story there (how bout urs urbacher and his trip to the US to try to qualify--that should have been worth one little interview--ditto Tolivers first successful qualilfying..etc etc. Granted, it's the John show, but if we want to increase viewer loyalty for the sport, they need to see more of the other drivers so they too can develop a following. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, PJ so forgive me--I just feel that between the inflated number of countdown only interviews and what I consider overkill on team force coverage (even way before the Ashley and John crashes) really hindered other teams getting coverage, and thus more fans and sponsors..
Just my two cents

Terry, I'm a Triple A and a John Medlen/Zippy fan... and I like the Princess... But I agree, Ashley and John got A ton of TV time... well, John does... the Princess tapered off as the season went on, even with better showings later in the season... thing is, John's other drivers are low key... Doug K is low key, Hillary is low Key, Melanie, TJ, Mike Ashley, are all low key... heck, I'd rather listen to Head, Teach, Tony P.

But all TV wants Hype, They want John and Wildthing being goofballs, they want Tony S being somewhat arrogant, Whit opening his mouth...
That's why they try to blow minor things totally out of proportions...
To TV, the racing isn't enough, the "little guys" aren't story enough... It has to be "BIGGER THAN LIFE"...

But until someone that gives a $hit about the racers is running the show, then maybe the PEOPLE that are the show need to sit out... I repeat the question I've asked all year, what if they gave a Race and nobody came?

Pay your Stars what they are worth, or get the Frick outta the way... because asphalt doesn't put Buns in the seats and neither does a rule book, nor does a broadcast of an empty track and pit area.

d'kid

Remember these Days, Remember the prices!!!!

m08.jpg

cajun78big.jpg

I have second thoughts about NHRA bashing- it may disuade HD partners, that company in Santa monica Ca that was capitalized with $174,000,000 and has TEN employees, from culminating the DEAL.

Among many other things, what NHRA has not managed sufficiently to do is create a STAR SYSTEM (definintion not required) for sure. And, check NASCAR, that's what the show business aspect of that THAT sport is is all about.

We love and sometimes hate the ones that DO get air time but blogs on the web site fo our favorites otherwise are not sufficient - the fan base is, or should be, WAYYY broader than the 75,000 members.

A delimma that I have no anwer to.

Excessive negatism could bring NHRA to its knees and then where would any of us be?

Off my soapbox,

NSP

Terry, I'm a Triple A and a John Medlen/Zippy fan... and I like the Princess... But I agree, Ashley and John got A ton of TV time... well, John does... the Princess tapered off as the season went on, even with better showings later in the season... thing is, John's other drivers are low key... Doug K is low key, Hillary is low Key, Melanie, TJ, Mike Ashley, are all low key... heck, I'd rather listen to Head, Teach, Tony P.

But all TV wants Hype, They want John and Wildthing being goofballs, they want Tony S being somewhat arrogant, Whit opening his mouth...
That's why they try to blow minor things totally out of proportions...
To TV, the racing isn't enough, the "little guys" aren't story enough... It has to be "BIGGER THAN LIFE"...

But until someone that gives a $hit about the racers is running the show, then maybe the PEOPLE that are the show need to sit out... I repeat the question I've asked all year, what if they gave a Race and nobody came?

Pay your Stars what they are worth, or get the Frick outta the way... because asphalt doesn't put Buns in the seats and neither does a rule book, nor does a broadcast of an empty track and pit area.

d'kid

Well said, Karl, and as you know I meant no offense to the Force team at all. As usual you managed to get the whole thing into a well stated nutshell. Although we favor different teams as our "faves" we certainly agree on the state of things and some change being needed. Just some thoughts from the cornfield....

...Excessive negativism could bring NHRA to its knees and then where would any of us be?

Off my soapbox,

NSP

Oh come on Norm! Bashing NHRA has been a racer past time since WE were kids! Where did UDRA come from? What are druids? NHRA has survived all the trash the racers could throw at them and then come back stronger. I doubt much that HD Partners is paying a poop load of attention to what's being said on this board, but I'm willing to see just what they want to do with NHRA. If there's any one thing that group can do it's promote. They sold Satellite TV to folks when cable was the easy way out. I'm certain they will do their best to market NHRA as well.

Since all of the NHRA shows are on tape delay, why dont they have two shows like IHRA. This way each class will have its share of tv time. Lets face it, if your not running nitro you are last as it is, and if your name is not force or schumacher you dont see the time.

One thing i dont understand is when a smaller or may be not a major sponsored car wins they still interview the loser with a major backer instead of the winner. I have seen this multiple times.

Why is it that nascar can air a 4 to 5 hour race but the nhra can not. If there is a major wreck in nascar they stop racing, i have watched a couple of races this year where racing was stopped for about 30 minutes?

One last thing to add, if Evan Knoll was to buy the IHRA, if anyone could compete against the NHRA i think evan can. he seems like a man that can make things happen and will spend his dollars wisely.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back